Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build)

I got a little crazy today at the Hobby Shop. I've been piecing together used parts forever and not getting anywhere, today I said the hell with it and filled up a shopping bag with goodies!

I was hoping for a little advice though:

1) they suggested the Hot Racing Steel Gearset. However, when I got home I saw that it's the Super Light Steel Gear Set. With the Pro 4, are these gonna be toast?should I return these and do Robinson Racing Gears, RC4WD AX2 or the expensive but "BOMB PROOF" transmission?......

2)I need to braze on my link mounts to the axles, if I put them at standard scx10 width instead or a little wider instead of Wraith width as to avoid binding issues that most Wroncho builders encounter between the drive shafts and links am I going to end up with crap handling/geometry?

3)this kit comes with aluminum threaded shocks, they're tiny though and seem mediocre quality with plastic tops. are they worth putting together or should I get some Proline Powerstrokes or Gmade Piggybacks?

Irishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build)

That haul of parts is definitely worth sleeping on the couch for , just wondering why you went for a 4000kv pro4 ? The speed out of a 3300 or a roc 3100 is more than enough and slow torque is awesome , you might run out of room for gearing to get the 4000 right.
I'm guessing they are the steel metalheads ? Very nice stuff from GCM ,I'd suggest you get the links either tig or mig welded on tho , a heap stronger and a much tidier job.
Good luck with the build.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build)

At least we have a comfortable couch! I ended up with the 4000kv by error, my error, long story. If it's not right I'll trade or buy a 3300.
Yea, steel metalheads with custom wraith length tubes.
Any suggestions on where I could look to get everything welded up?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
That haul of parts is definitely worth sleeping on the couch for , just wondering why you went for a 4000kv pro4 ? The speed out of a 3300 or a roc 3100 is more than enough and slow torque is awesome , you might run out of room for gearing to get the 4000 right.
I'm guessing they are the steel metalheads ? Very nice stuff from GCM ,I'd suggest you get the links either tig or mig welded on tho , a heap stronger and a much tidier job.
Good luck with the build.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Bump for advice.... I'm hoping to get the transmission and shocks sorted so I can build this weekend! :-)
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Did the axles come with link mounts ? If not I'd make them myself out of some flat steel bar and take them to a few local metal fab shops and show them what you want done, if they just have to weld something in place its easier than getting them to fab them for you. Beer is always a good bartering tool !
Give the stock shocks a run , they def arent the best but at least run them till they fail.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have the mounts, so just welding is required.
I looked and I also have some traxxas big bores. They don't look cool but work pretty well.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by northkona View Post
Did the axles come with link mounts ? If not I'd make them myself out of some flat steel bar and take them to a few local metal fab shops and show them what you want done, if they just have to weld something in place its easier than getting them to fab them for you. Beer is always a good bartering tool !
Give the stock shocks a run , they def arent the best but at least run them till they fail.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I looked around some more and it looks like the HR super duty light weight gears are possibly stronger than the standard HR gears. Higher quality steel and hardened more.
I'm also gonna bite the bullet on the supershafty top shaft and RR Slipper & 32p spur.

I looked and I also have some traxxas big bores. They don't look cool but work pretty well.
Thanks!.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

If you look on RPP's site, they actually have a nightstand to put next to the couch. When you touch it, it automatically orders more parts. I have three, and I'm thinking about getting a fourth.

Good luck on the build...the next step is putting an addition on the dog house.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Clay Carter...CFM does a lot of axle work. He might be able to set you up with some Mig work. Just a suggestion. Custom building is tough though, if you don't have a pretty clear plan on the geometry of the build, things might start getting complicated.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

That's perfect. I usually end up buying stuff online in the middle of the night when I can't sleep anyway.
Can you imaging all the surprise stuff that would show up with a kid in he house? :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
If you look on RPP's site, they actually have a nightstand to put next to the couch. When you touch it, it automatically orders more parts. I have three, and I'm thinking about getting a fourth.

Good luck on the build...the next step is putting an addition on the dog house.
CFM is a vendor here?
I would think that if I set the links as close as possible to wraith width l'll be able to dial them in with shock selection, do you not agree?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Clay Carter...CFM does a lot of axle work. He might be able to set you up with some Mig work. Just a suggestion. Custom building is tough though, if you don't have a pretty clear plan on the geometry of the build, things might start getting complicated.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #11

Just got to say I love the tittle of your thread
landozer18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so I'm going to just come out and say it, this is a piss pore build log as I'm posting before and at about 90% complete........
Here are a few pictures, let me know what you all think of the carbon fiber hood? I wanted to cover up as much of my lousy paint job so I used every sticker I could find and come "CF look" wrap.

I also wanted to say hey and thanks to the guys at CKRC (my local hobby shop). I've always tried to avoid them in the past as I felt their business practices and general demeanor were poor. HOWEVER, they are under new ownership and staffed with a group of great folks. Me being a schmuck walking in off the street to ask a thousand questions and spend far too much time, I was treated like a friend and given professional and helpful attention. I can't tell you how great it is to finally have a hobby shop in my town that is what a hobby shop should be. I know there are MANY great vendors on this forum but these guys deserve a shout out for taking care of me. Good bye ebay, hello CKRC!

Thanks Guys!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ok, so I'm totally stumped right now. I was getting bump steer so I installed a Panhard with 3 link setup. finally got it better, not perfect but better but I'm getting steering from compression/depression of the shocks, if I push down on the truck the wheels turn. this is really annoying when driving, as sometime the wheels are centered forward and sometimes they are off based on the weight on the front end.
please help.
PS> I'll post pictures of my suspension in a few.

Last edited by Irishchamp; 08-08-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Have you tried using a traditional 3 link. Like two to one if you get me
blakeguski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm not sure I get what you're saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeguski View Post
Have you tried using a traditional 3 link. Like two to one if you get me
Old 08-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Such as a stock scx. One link from each side, to the double rod end.
blakeguski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I got my electronics cleaned up.

And a little profile shot showing the wheelbase.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Why is my panhard shifting the whole front axle to the side when it's compressed? What am I doing wrong? I've looked at other pamhard setups but mine won't work properly.
What gives?!?!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I redid the 3rd link, adjusted the panhard angle and firmed up the shocks, things are working better now. I'm not loving the panhard setup but it's working. It makes the 7950 feel a little weak sometimes.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Ok let's see what is wrong with your suspension :

1- Your upper link spacers, front and rear on the driveshaft side is what is causing your "suspension compression steering", because you have to have a perfect triangular setup for it to work, but you have 2 of your 8 links out of whack, can't work. (this is on your first suspension picture, where you still have 4-link front and back)

2- A panhard bar WILL move the axle side to side, it's the very nature of it, it moves in an arc around the chassis pivot point. The longer your panhard bar is, the less it will move the axle side to side.

3- Your steering setup with the panhard bar is out of whack also, your servo steering link should be parrallel, the same lenght and on the same angle as your panhard bar, like this :

To clear your driveshafts with the upper links, use bent links that are made for lowers, but use them as uppers and it will then clear and then you can have a perfect inverted dual-triangle setup for the upper-lowers.
daver18qc is offline   Reply With Quote

scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WYD's STRC SCX10 Jeep Wrangler build wyd Axial SCX-10 57 01-28-2016 09:48 AM
4by4's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 Edition Build 4by4 Axial SCX-10 26 05-26-2015 03:22 AM
***Chicklet's Jeep Wrangler SCX10 G6 Build*** chicklet Axial SCX-10 67 03-12-2015 06:03 PM
ScaleFreak - Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 Build Joe Ferguson Axial SCX-10 27 06-07-2014 04:42 PM
Badger's Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler G6 kit build badger Axial SCX-10 122 05-01-2014 01:51 PM