Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: question on building chassis....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default question on building chassis....

So I have gathered all my brazing supplies and have made a few bumpers and rock sliders easy enough... I am really wanting to tear down my wraith and build something one off... As I look through all of the threads in this section see some AMAZING WORK.

I was wondering if you guys are building these chassis off blueprint's or if there are general guidelines to follow. Ex. how do I get an idea of where my shock towers need to be brazed in and so on?
I am wanting to build a fully body chassis with either a tacoma, hilux or f250 body. So do I get the body first to get my measurements for pillars and what not?
johncraddock445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: question on building chassis....

No blue prints for me, I just start with the desired wheelbase, then free hand the rest.

A few target measurements to establish first are:

Wheelbase
Overall length of chassis (nose to tail)
Where, and how long you want your skid
Where you want your link mounts
How tall (slider to roof)

Those are just a few starting measurements to base your proportions off of, and get you started. The rest should fall into place with the neurosis of detail sets in.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I useally look at pics of 1.1 rigs to get ideas ,the wraith is a nice platform to work with and if you keep everything as close to the same it will be a lot easier ,basicly just remove the chassis and leave everything else alone attached to the skid.
warriorsimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I work off of images downloaded. I'll create some 2d sketches to get basic dimensions to follow. Then I just go.

As far as shock towers and such. I start with my skid plate at the height I want it for full bump on the shocks. Then after I make the base frame I can create the hoops or whatever I'm mounting the shocks to and all I have to do to figure out where they mount on the frame is to push them all the way down and see where the top hole ends up. Them measure off the frame rail and get to fabbing

Good luck
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok thanks guys, that was a big help. I think for my first build I'm going to use the wraith skid so i don't have to worry about link geometry and what not from the get go...
One question... When your are building a chassis for a full body rather than panels, are you building Pillars and a roof line to Closely mimic the inside of the body?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

On my Honcho I did an internal cage and I got as close to the body as possible.

There are few decent pics in my thread before I painted the body where you can see how it's a tight fit.

Long time Tacoma build

iphone 829

honcho 058

Last edited by rockhugger; 01-22-2015 at 11:46 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I utilize a mix of both cad/cam and freehand/off the top of the head ideas as I go. Typically Ill get a rough idea together in my head and utilize basic cad programs so everything has the same bends/angles and is square once brazed.
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Are you guys using cad print outs like Harley does in his videos? Or its it easily enough managed with out them
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Busy buildin or crawlin!!

Freehand and alot of measuring and you'll be good to go. Dont be intimidated, only way to learn is to try. Good luck!!
PIMPNROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
20K Club

All of my blueprints are available for free download on my site if you want something to look off of, start with, modify from, use as toilet paper, wallpaper your kids crib, or beat the dog with....

Found here: Free RC Crawler Tube Chassis Design Templates | Harley Designs
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I freehand after width and wheelbase measurements figured out, its nice to have a nice piece of steel as a base to work on and I love using machinist step blocks to keep things even!
mcrawlinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

are there any free cad programs you guys would recommend to teach myself on? how about sketchup?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #13

John I am with you man, after watching these guys I need to try and build a chassis. I need to ask you about the materials you are using next time we hit the trails.
krazyglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I've started with the body on my last build, and my current one. For the sake of the forum section, I'll use my 2.2 as the example.

I'll trace a side view of the body on a piece of poster board, and then locate where I want my axles to sit to show the wheelbase. I'll then draw out a basic side view of my initial thoughts of how I want to build the chassis.

From there I'll start bending tube/rod on using the poster board drawing(s) as a template.

After this point, I work from measurements from the inside of the body, and around suspension compontents, or anything else I happen to overlook at the beginning.

And don't be afraid to make mistakes, it happens, I ended up cutting the entire front clip off after the above pic because it didn't give room for the shocks, and I just wasn't happy with the look (even though it was going to be hidden)

You can end up with much better results than you originally plan for

But most of all, have fun with it! I enjoy the build just as much as driving them.

-Derek
SuperDrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDrty View Post
I've started with the body on my last build, and my current one. For the sake of the forum section, I'll use my 2.2 as the example.

I'll trace a side view of the body on a piece of poster board, and then locate where I want my axles to sit to show the wheelbase. I'll then draw out a basic side view of my initial thoughts of how I want to build the chassis.

From there I'll start bending tube/rod on using the poster board drawing(s) as a template.

After this point, I work from measurements from the inside of the body, and around suspension compontents, or anything else I happen to overlook at the beginning.

And don't be afraid to make mistakes, it happens, I ended up cutting the entire front clip off after the above pic because it didn't give room for the shocks, and I just wasn't happy with the look (even though it was going to be hidden)

You can end up with much better results than you originally plan for

But most of all, have fun with it! I enjoy the build just as much as driving them.

-Derek
that is awesome work man... thanks for the pointers
Old 01-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
All of my blueprints are available for free download on my site if you want something to look off of, start with, modify from, use as toilet paper, wallpaper your kids crib, or beat the dog with....

Found here: Free RC Crawler Tube Chassis Design Templates | Harley Designs
Thanks harley!. I downloaded the IBEX file as I will be using some rendition of the wraith wheel base and also the skid... so i think I will be able to use alot of it. thanks again man
Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

All of my rigs are built in my head days or weeks before I fire up the welder, I don't use blueprints. Most of the time when I am building a chassis I rarely even measure....its all built by eye and most of the time comes out pretty square. If I am making a chassis or part for some one I will sketch it on paper to give them an idea of what I am thinking.

You won't know unless you try, if it doesn't turn out....toss it to the side and start over.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...2367-29074.jpg

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 01-24-2015 at 11:03 PM.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote

question on building chassis.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
boat building question danmac Non Crawler RC's 0 06-09-2014 12:58 AM
Wraith building question..... williamsfw2427 Missouri 23 02-20-2012 02:53 PM
Battery building question dj23gsx Electronics 4 02-08-2009 10:45 AM
Shock building question Mgoetz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 12-21-2007 08:59 AM
2 quick question on building a chassis Matt123 Tools, and Procedures 4 10-07-2005 04:59 AM