Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Brisket - Early 50's Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I'll let you run in Class 2 on the 10th as long as you run the 1.9 Rock Beasts
Wouldn't have it any other way! I'll see you there

*edit*

Had a chance to mess with everything a bit tonight. Mocked up with zipties real quick and I think I made this way too easy to convert over to SCX10 parts. The front "frame rails" wound up being the perfect width to mount the panhard bar, and there's more than enough room between it and the grill to mount the steering servo. I'll figure out how to mount the toyzuki forward motor mount tomorrow when it arrives and I remove the old battery/electronics tray. Hoping to be ready to wire to test it out by Monday. I think I'm sitting on enough parts to figure out the new drivetrain by the end of the weekend.

Ride height

Full droop

Full extension

Last edited by DrewHammer; 12-30-2015 at 08:12 PM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Friday update.

Got the motor mount in the mail and got it mocked up. Also tore apart my SCX10 trans and built the tcase. Used a HR 1 piece lightweight output gear as it seems to be the lightest of the options I currently have available to me and I like the fact that it doesn't have screws. Also, after reading of some of the troubles others have had making this work I figured I'd dig through my parts and try cutting down a stock axial top shaft to use as a tcase input. I'll bring this in to work Monday to get the cross pin hole redrilled on the mill.

I also tried 3 times to make link mounts and wasn't happy with the results, I may try one last time tomorrow. After drilling over 250 holes I'm kinda done with that for the day. I've contacted a local waterjet company and have asked this to be expedited. Hopefully no later than Tuesday I'll have link mounts ready to go. I'll spend the rest of the weekend working on tubes if I can't get this to work this last attempt.

I did get the wraith skid mount tabs removed and smoothed out the lower frame tubes without totally butchering them.

Time to tear down the axles and install the beef tubes and HD gears.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Saturday update. 7 days left until I debut this at a local race.

Got the link mounts "done" before the whiskey caught up to me and I didn't feel comfortable working on it. Tried multiple times to make my own mounts but was never happy with it. Used some gear head tabs to mount in a "rulr" position with the mounts in the otherwise "stock" location other than the rear uppers. Ordered up some "conformal coating" as well for the pro-4 and MMP that'll be here thursday.

Tomorrow - Finish upper link mounts for the rear to clear driveshafts. Mount the t-case, mount the forward motor mount.

Plenty of room at full lock, need XR width and 2.2's again.

Last edited by DrewHammer; 01-03-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:26 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Sunday update. Didn't have as much time today to work on it as I would have liked so progress was limited.

Finished the rear upper link mounts to be able to pass the driveshaft past it. Also go the new "skid" started however it needs tabs brazed on to mount. Also ordered up more crap from RPP to finish this out. I'm really hoping I can drive next Sunday.

Link materials get here tomorrow. I want to shorten up the front 3/4" or so. Once this is complete I can figure out the panhard mount, steering servo mount and motor mount location. Also consider switching to 100mm shocks in the rear. Good thing I haven't finished out the front mounts yet so I can get them to match.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Well, unfortunately I set some pretty lofty goals for myself and I already see myself falling short. Working 12+ hr days really sucks up all of my free time and I haven't had the energy required to get this done right. I'd rather not rush the chassis too much and wind up with something else I won't be happy with.

So, that being said, I'll be throwing some of these parts back on to an SCX10 chassis so I can race this weekend with a legal C2 rig and proving that everything works the way I expect it to. MIP shafts for a gelande on the way, I think these are short enough and/or appear to be fairly easy to shorten compared to some MIP's to work between the forward motor mount and t case. I'll be a little shy of some scale points but at least it'll drive.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Sold this to a friend of mine when I found out I got a new job out in Kansas and he got it finished. I built this to compete in the PNW, it needed to stay in the PNW. Officially C2 legal now as well, can't wait to see how well the new owner does with it

Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Man you build a lot of sweet trucks. Every build thread I've read that you have done has blown my socks off! nice work.
Adamgllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Sold this to a friend of mine when I found out I got a new job out in Kansas and he got it finished. I built this to compete in the PNW, it needed to stay in the PNW. Officially C2 legal now as well, can't wait to see how well the new owner does with it

i know im sweeping up old dust by commenting, but! What a build man! How did this rig end up performing on its debut? Thanks for some inspiration for a new build...

Please, if you have more to add on this build, post em up!
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
i know im sweeping up old dust by commenting, but! What a build man! How did this rig end up performing on its debut? Thanks for some inspiration for a new build...

Please, if you have more to add on this build, post em up!
Hey man, sorry for the super late reply. I haven't been on here in 6 months or so after moving across the country again and trying to get life back in order.

I honestly have no idea where this chassis is now. I'd kill to have it back though. This rig performed superb from what the last known owner stated. Even had comments like "this is the most fun rc I've ever owned" (guy's been in the hobby for 20 years).

Brisket - Early 50's Chevy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rc scalers output with Early 50's Chevy rubicon jk Trail Finder 2 gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 11-30-2013 11:37 AM
New Pro-Line #3107 Early 50's Panel Truck body anyone? BeeRC Paint and Body 0 03-03-2010 02:43 PM
Pro-Line Early 50'S Chevy Stampede body Locked Up Paint and Body 3 12-11-2007 10:37 AM
pro-line early 50's panel truck mattb Paint and Body 11 03-17-2007 10:08 AM