Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wraith Spawn Kit Build Front Diff Clicks when stopping hard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Wraith Spawn Kit Build Front Diff Clicks when stopping hard

Hey everyone, I recently finished the main building of a brand new Axial Wraith Spawn kit. Everything went just fine during the build, but when I run the rig, on decelerations there is a clicking coming from the front diff. I thought it was originally the shorter screws that hold the bearing retainer in place, so I replaced them with longer screws, made sure there wasn't any unwanted slop and closed it back up. I still get the skipping when I let off the throttle. I need to get back in to the diff to examine the edges of the teeth on the gears.

Also when I jump in to reverse it does this clicking more, then when I punch it in drive. So reverse, and when the "break/Drag Break" is applied is when the clicking happens.

Has anyone else had this problem?

In the meantime I have ordered an overdrive gear set for the front. Going from 38t/13t to 43t/13t setup. Anyone else running this setup?
4x4Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wraith Spawn Kit Build Front Diff Clicks when stopping hard

I had this problem with an old ring and pinion in my wraith. I ended up getting new gears and a new housing and making sure the pinion was shimmed up to the ring gear properly. Do you run the plastic diff housing with the axial locker? hope all you have to do is shim it, hope this helps
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Yes, still running the Axial Locker, and plastic diff housing. I just ordered a set of shims. I bet that's the issue. I'm also going to overdrive the front here shortly. I hope the shimming helps, but if not, then I'll just order a new housing, and rebuild it with fresh parts.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I would under drive the rear and leave the front stock. Better gear mesh on the under drive gears.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Jay View Post
Yes, still running the Axial Locker, and plastic diff housing. I just ordered a set of shims. I bet that's the issue. I'm also going to overdrive the front here shortly. I hope the shimming helps, but if not, then I'll just order a new housing, and rebuild it with fresh parts.
If you do order a new housing, I would seriously consider the Dlux housing with the larger bearing.

Dlux Fab
deerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjohn929 View Post
I would under drive the rear and leave the front stock. Better gear mesh on the under drive gears.
I came to this conclusion last night after doing some more research on the different gear sets available. I'll be ordering an underdrive gear set for the rear, and putting the rear stock setup in the front, and shim it. See if that helps my clicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerco View Post
If you do order a new housing, I would seriously consider the Dlux housing with the larger bearing.

Dlux Fab
If the underdrive setup I mentioned earlier in this post doesn't work out, I'll check in to the Dlux housing with the larger bearing. That actually seems to be a legit upgrade to the drivetrain.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Hardened stock ratio in front, ud in rearl.

To much drag brake and an abrupt throttle chop from speed will result in the gears skipping which is the clicking noise you are describing. A heavy throttle finger will also cause the same results. Modify both of those issues and use the above mentioned gear sets and you will be good to go if any of that sounds appropriate to your driveing style....
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #8

i had real bad issues with metalhead axles and o.d. front gears that would skip and then eventually grenade. real REAL heavy truck... if i really got on it and wasnt careful i could pop the front gears on command. i went to hardened stock ratio in front and had the cases modded for 13mm pinion bearings and havent had a problem since.

might want to get some aluminum locker bearing caps for your axles, and the dlux modded 13mm pinion cases are hella nice for the price.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith Spawn Kit Build Front Diff Clicks when stopping hard - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith Spawn Kit Build Up tc1 Axial Wraith 34 01-20-2018 01:47 AM
yeti kit build issues - front diff littlebuddha Axial Yeti 5 04-18-2017 03:17 AM
Wraith Spawn Hot Racing diff lockers The Dark Knight Axial Wraith 4 07-31-2015 09:15 PM
RichMTB01's Wraith Spawn KIT Build RichMTB01 Axial Wraith 0 05-13-2015 08:35 AM
Just build my xr10 - First run, front axle "clicks"? eddiepfund Axial XR10 9 10-06-2010 06:25 AM