Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wroncho Bumpers - Need Ideas -

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #1

Default Wroncho Bumpers - Need Ideas -

Just picked up a Wroncho. Threw on some Wraith links and shocks. It now sits too high, but I'll get to that in a minute.

I'm needing some ideas on bumpers. The truck is running SCX10 frame rails, Wraith skid... So the original bumper mounts for a SCX10 won't work.
I watched Harley's videos on the build of his Wroncho, but they didn't cover that awesome mount, or how the bumper mounted.

Any ideas, pics or opinions would be great!
I know the truck sits too high, I will be getting some shorter shocks, I also need to play around with the links too, to get the wheelbase better.
Thanks

JOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wroncho Bumpers - Need Ideas -

Before you switch to shorter shocks, if you read Harley's build, you need to flip your link mounts, it'll give you a lower COG, when you flip the link mounts, you may need to shorten your links or the diff pinions will be aimed down, thus causing your driveshafts to bind.

This is my wroncho, I used a piece of 1/2" wide flat bar for the bumpers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike Flea; 01-16-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:40 PM   #3

Default Wroncho Bumpers - Need Ideas -

Looks great! I flipped the link mounts (on the axle)before assembly. My issue is running the 4.25" Wraith shocks. I've got some shock keys somewhere... thinking of giving that a try, and lowering the body.

Thanks for the pictures, it helps! There's not many who post about the Wroncho with Wraith skid...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

There HAS to be something "full sized" you'd like to duplicate if you could, right? So what would you like the bumpers to look like if you could have anything you wanted on there, if you could "rub the lamp" and get your wish? After figuring this out, then do they need some mass or to be light weight, if they are made from sheet metal or rod/tube? 3D print as another option. Personally, I'd like the plated look on these things, beefy with some shackles and room for a concealed winch. Guess that's the problem with having a sheet metal shop, get one track minded.....
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I use Wraith shocks on my SCX10's and I changed out the rod ends and made them 100mm long

I had a bunch of different lenght rod ends on the left over part trees from Axial kits

And they work great and I like the height and look of my SCX10's with 1.9'' 4.75 '' tall tires
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the recent comments. kgb424: I'll give that a try. I think I have some rod ends somewhere....

MAC FAB: I would love to have access to a welder. One of the things at the top of my list after I wire my shop. Any recommendations on what to get? Just something for a hobbyist, scale and 1:1

Old 01-26-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
RCC Addict

J, do you know how to weld? What process machine are you looking for? Tig and /or mig-flux core? I use the heck out of my Lincoln sp 140 110v wire feed for stuff, only good with .023 wire GMAW in my opinion. Tig machine is big, that sees the most use. I tig 99% of my rc stuff, with the exception of the chassis I'm building now, mig'd most of it to see how that works out to save fit up time. Went over the welds with my tig afterwards. I'll mig tack and tig next time. Budget dictates your welder, try to buy bigger than you think you need, and new unless you know the history of the machine. Too easy to overpay for a pile. I like Miller over Lincoln for parts sake. Since your spending $$$, next comes a shear and brake. Check Enco for decent import stuff. Perhaps I need to hurry up and get my 1:1 stuff done, get the star here and offer services to those who can't build their own. Anyhow, what are you looking to make when its all said and done?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #8

Really it'll be for a home shop. I've welded at friend's houses before. But never for any extended period. Right now it'll be RC stuff, exhaust on a 1:1 maybe some heavier stuff later on like a 1:1 trailer. I agree wit you, to go bigger than I need now. I'm in the beginning stages of looking and comparing brands now. Then looking at mig vs tig... I've got a miller dealer in town so it'll be easy to get parts when needed.
I've got a 60 amp dedicated plug for a welder, so I don't think electricity will be a problem.
Thanks for those pointers. I'll take all I can.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Keen to give this a bump, im guessing there is nothing stock that will fit...
any pics of your bumpers would be ace. i have used the 90mm links for chassis braces, maybe i can glue something to one of these, timber bumpers??
Stray is offline   Reply With Quote

Wroncho Bumpers - Need Ideas - - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wroncho LapuaKrawler Axial SCX-10 6 10-27-2014 04:37 PM
need ideas on how to mount proline bumpers? 350oshin Axial SCX-10 4 08-02-2010 04:47 PM