Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: My rock rey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My rock rey.

Went to the LHS to buy paint and came out with a rock Rey a couple weeks ago. This thing rips while staying planted and predictable like nothing I've seen. Very impressed with this thing and I want to set it up to be able to do so crawling while knowing that's not what it's for. Has anyone geared down and locked up the front and rear? I have just about every aluminum part available along with incision links that I'll be throwing on. I mounted some tsl's with PL dual stage foams on methods and have taken it easy either couple times out running it with this setup. It's possible that will set up weighs 3 times more than stock and the last thing I want to do is take away the durability that I love about this thing. Isn't it fair to say the extra weight of those Heavy Wheels will most likely do some damage? It sure does look good though. Anyone considering I Roc Ray pull the trigger you'll love it. Let's get the moderators to start a specific for this thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My rock rey.

Mine was delivered today but no one was home to sign.... Oh well tomorrow. All these rock rey threads popping up us making me excited.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
not-required is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-required View Post
Mine was delivered today but no one was home to sign.... Oh well tomorrow. All these rock rey threads popping up us making me excited.

I bet you make sure to be home today. I wasn't fired up or planning to buy one after seeing theyd be releasing. I was saying im done with the fast stuff because I cant keep it running and I have more fun staying under 6mph. While at the hoby shop buying paint I saw the box and thought about how tough the Baja reys are then i said something about it to the worker and immediately after him reassuring/agreeing they are the same platform and should take a beating I had one on the counter.

Have you had a yeti or anything IFS? Are you staying close to stock, already have an upgrade plan, or are you going to drive it and then decide?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxktm, View Post
I bet you make sure to be home today. I wasn't fired up or planning to buy one after seeing theyd be releasing. I was saying im done with the fast stuff because I cant keep it running and I have more fun staying under 6mph. While at the hoby shop buying paint I saw the box and thought about how tough the Baja reys are then i said something about it to the worker and immediately after him reassuring/agreeing they are the same platform and should take a beating I had one on the counter.

Have you had a yeti or anything IFS? Are you staying close to stock, already have an upgrade plan, or are you going to drive it and then decide?
This will be my first go fast rig. I will try to control myself and stay close to stock. I did order the incision links and have a new servo for it. I'll drive it then decide what direction I want to go.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hiya peeps ,
This is my rock rey , shame it wasn't a kit form but I couldn't resist when I first saw it lol
It's a pretty funny rig aswell with that AVT turned on banking it at high speed it puts on two wheels and keeps it there ,..which my niece discovered lol
But it's servo horn is broke now and the only spare I had I didn't threadlock and it fell off whilst 5 mins into a ramble , which kind off sucked , but hopefully tomorrow my aluminium horn will arrive with a few other goodies but for today just some new boots
I like stickers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willyg1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nice man. I love me some stickers as well and it looks like we have bought sheets from some of the same ebay sellers. Check out MCI Racing .com he has the best sheets(look under short course) and you can choose custom colors on the site. AVC works and has probably prevented many 3s 30-35mph collisions into my trees and fences. I try to not use it much but I feel it does work and it makes me look like a better driver. Its really fun to crank AVC up and give it hell while showing it off to others then turn it off and hand them the remote for a run, haha.

I cant wait for the guys who know way more than I do and use unlimited funds testing every setup/upgrade and post results for people like me to follow. Also need the guy who turns one into a crawler specific rig.

I have been able to get mine in crawler situations not using the power or wheelspeed to make it up stuff my very capable crawler bomber has trouble on or cant even attempt. They are going to surprise many people with how capable they are. It is the best(better than my fully built bomber with twin hammer length TA's) hill/rock climber bouncer style rig and I can go over 20 mph without feeling like its going to fall apart or break something. The RR has taken and driven away from so many hits, tumbles, 10 ft drops that would've put my bombers, wraith, yeti, or 10.2 out of commission until 20-100$ in replacement parts arrived. They are great trucks and I like it better and have more fun every time I drive it.

I knew it had plastic servo horn so I had an Al one in by 3rd run. One other weak spot is certain bearings that someone on here can tell you

Parts going in mine tonight: Promodeler servo, center dif locker, 10 tooth module pinion, Al rear shock towers, SSD 3rd member, fast eddy bearing kit, incision links, VP KMC endure 2.2 with Proline dual stage foams up front and CI DD 5.75 med outer foams in rear wrapped in hyrax, new yellow body, and some other stuff I cannot remember. I have a MMX with holmes puller pro 3500kv that will probably go in after stock stuff is no good.

Anyone know the stock shock lengths?? I want to swap to heavier shock fluid, what do you guys recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
Hiya peeps ,
This is my rock rey , shame it wasn't a kit form but I couldn't resist when I first saw it lol
It's a pretty funny rig aswell with that AVT turned on banking it at high speed it puts on two wheels and keeps it there ,..which my niece discovered lol
But it's servo horn is broke now and the only spare I had I didn't threadlock and it fell off whilst 5 mins into a ramble , which kind off sucked , but hopefully tomorrow my aluminium horn will arrive with a few other goodies but for today just some new boots
I like stickers

Old 04-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Went to the LHS to buy paint and came out with a rock Rey a couple weeks ago. This thing rips while staying planted and predictable like nothing I've seen. Very impressed with this thing and I want to set it up to be able to do so crawling while knowing that's not what it's for. Has anyone geared down and locked up the front and rear? I have just about every aluminum part available along with incision links that I'll be throwing on. I mounted some tsl's with PL dual stage foams on methods and have taken it easy either couple times out running it with this setup. It's possible that will set up weighs 3 times more than stock and the last thing I want to do is take away the durability that I love about this thing. Isn't it fair to say the extra weight of those Heavy Wheels will most likely do some damage? It sure does look good though. Anyone considering I Roc Ray pull the trigger you'll love it. Let's get the moderators to start a specific for this thing.
That's an awesome looking RR!!! Who makes the metal tube shock mount?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Nice man. I love me some stickers as well and it looks like we have bought sheets from some of the same ebay sellers. Check out MCI Racing .com he has the best sheets(look under short course) and you can choose custom colors on the site. AVC works and has probably prevented many 3s 30-35mph collisions into my trees and fences. I try to not use it much but I feel it does work and it makes me look like a better driver. Its really fun to crank AVC up and give it hell while showing it off to others then turn it off and hand them the remote for a run, haha.

I cant wait for the guys who know way more than I do and use unlimited funds testing every setup/upgrade and post results for people like me to follow. Also need the guy who turns one into a crawler specific rig.

I have been able to get mine in crawler situations not using the power or wheelspeed to make it up stuff my very capable crawler bomber has trouble on or cant even attempt. They are going to surprise many people with how capable they are. It is the best(better than my fully built bomber with twin hammer length TA's) hill/rock climber bouncer style rig and I can go over 20 mph without feeling like its going to fall apart or break something. The RR has taken and driven away from so many hits, tumbles, 10 ft drops that would've put my bombers, wraith, yeti, or 10.2 out of commission until 20-100$ in replacement parts arrived. They are great trucks and I like it better and have more fun every time I drive it.

I knew it had plastic servo horn so I had an Al one in by 3rd run. One other weak spot is certain bearings that someone on here can tell you

Parts going in mine tonight: Promodeler servo, center dif locker, 10 tooth module pinion, Al rear shock towers, SSD 3rd member, fast eddy bearing kit, incision links, VP KMC endure 2.2 with Proline dual stage foams up front and CI DD 5.75 med outer foams in rear wrapped in hyrax, new yellow body, and some other stuff I cannot remember. I have a MMX with holmes puller pro 3500kv that will probably go in after stock stuff is no good.

Anyone know the stock shock lengths?? I want to swap to heavier shock fluid, what do you guys recommend?
Almost the exact same parts list that will go into mine tonight! Although I do have a MMX and HH 3500kv 540xl coming so I might wait and do it all one time.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I made the shock mount in my shop. It was hard work but only took about 4 minutes. It was made using a very special metal----------lic paint pen/marker, ha. Yeah I get them at walmart and its the best covering, sticking paint pen ive used. Something is different with the liquid because it applies and covers so well. I have covered a whole wraith/wertymade cage with one. They come in packages of 1 and there is a gold one as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's an awesome looking RR!!! Who makes the metal tube shock mount?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Almost the exact same parts list that will go into mine tonight! Although I do have a MMX and HH 3500kv 540xl coming so I might wait and do it all one time.
I got my mamba x in for my 10.2 so i didn't mess with the RR as planned. I really want to get the servo, 10 tooth, and center dif locker in this evening and give it a go. Let me know how it does when you get yours in. I accidentally bought 2 lockers so after a few runs i may throw the one in the front just to see how it does but it would take a very noticeable difference for me to leave it in there. I want to try a thicker fluid or paste up front but im not sure what to buy or where to get it.

So you have purchased mmx and hh 3500 and its on the way or you plan to buy them? I have the same combo with only a couple hours of run time on it. You should definitely just throw it in there while you are at it. JK, i just want to hear how it does which i think will be perfect for what im wanting to do.

Anyone know what the holdup is on a Rock Rey specific section? Is this the place to be posting about RR for now?
Old 04-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I got my mamba x in for my 10.2 so i didn't mess with the RR as planned. I really want to get the servo, 10 tooth, and center dif locker in this evening and give it a go. Let me know how it does when you get yours in. I accidentally bought 2 lockers so after a few runs i may throw the one in the front just to see how it does but it would take a very noticeable difference for me to leave it in there. I want to try a thicker fluid or paste up front but im not sure what to buy or where to get it.

So you have purchased mmx and hh 3500 and its on the way or you plan to buy them? I have the same combo with only a couple hours of run time on it. You should definitely just throw it in there while you are at it. JK, i just want to hear how it does which i think will be perfect for what im wanting to do.

Anyone know what the holdup is on a Rock Rey specific section? Is this the place to be posting about RR for now?
My motor and esc are already ordered and on the way. I went with a protek 130t servo. I have a 10t pinion to try out when the new motor gets here also. I will be locking up the center diff for sure, as for the front I have a bunch of different fluids. I think I'm going to try 2m first and see how I like it.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quick question how is centre diff locked ? Is the rear locker used in this application as well ?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyg1981 View Post
Quick question how is centre diff locked ? Is the rear locker used in this application as well ?

Vaterra Twin Hammers front diff Locker works in the rey center diff.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Vaterra Twin Hammers front diff Locker works in the rey center diff.

Sweeeeet
Cheers mate

Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The new and improved RR ;)

Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Took it for its maiden voyage this afternoon and I think I may of over done the motor it didn't like the gradients I was unleashing on it and kept saying "no" , and would power off,
It is quite heavy now tho , it was fine on the flat and performed well
I've orderd mamba x & a castle crawler 3800kv hopefully that'll be a good match

Old 05-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #17

Geauxktm how is your RR setup going. Did you try heavier shock oil. What is the name of the paint pens you use and where can I get the fake shock reservoirs that you have on your bomber do you have any plans of putting some on the rock Ray.
Can the mediators move your build to the Rock Rey forum
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #18

That looks really cool.
hitman13429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
I made the shock mount in my shop. It was hard work but only took about 4 minutes. It was made using a very special metal----------lic paint pen/marker, ha. Yeah I get them at walmart and its the best covering, sticking paint pen ive used. Something is different with the liquid because it applies and covers so well. I have covered a whole wraith/wertymade cage with one. They come in packages of 1 and there is a gold one as well
Does anyone know what brand paint pen geauxktm is using , I think it's a great idea because you can do touch ups with out removing the cage.
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'd say it was one of these bad boys

My rock rey. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti vs Rock Rey Rybroca Non Crawler RC's 121 04-19-2017 05:18 PM
Yeti or Rock Rey hozzerr1 Axial Yeti 43 04-15-2017 07:32 PM
Losi Rock Rey tjohanne Non Crawler RC's 36 04-06-2017 06:30 AM
Losi Baja Rey and Rock Rey Aluminum Hop-ups - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 4 03-22-2017 04:30 PM
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM