Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Big Pete

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Big Pete

Alright everyone, parts are either all here or on the way so I figure it's time to get a thread started.

Parts list will be as follows;

Widened and stretched King Hauler cab
Custom stainless tube chassis, brazed
CMS Front
Dlux Big Bearing wraith housings
Dlux sporty front truss for the rear
VP axle parts
Dravtech shocks
Hulksta transmission
Custom T Case
HH motor
DCW Wheels with Locked Up rings

I hate "copying" someone elses rig but the body is inspired by DesertRc/mcrawlinslow rat king. The chassis will be very different and my hood is stretched. The cab did need to be widened to meet SORRCA rules for being at least 5" wide.

I got some time to get started on the body this weekend. This is my first real time playing with styrene on this level. The cab still needs a lot of work but the hood is just about done. Hopefully I can have this complete by next weekend so I can start a chassis.

I started with two king hauler bodies. I needed to add at least 3/4" to the width of it but went a little more to keep it from being questionable. This will also allow me to play with different slw hubs in the future if I desire.

After a bunch of cutting I wound up with this

And with a couple hours of work it looks like this

Last edited by DrewHammer; 06-04-2017 at 08:00 PM.
DrewHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Big Pete

My first attempt at a styrene build was a 2.2 scale King Hauler 6x6. It was a fail lol. Still on my build list tho. So this has really peeked my interest. I might learn something. Subscribed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickleo View Post
My first attempt at a styrene build was a 2.2 scale King Hauler 6x6. It was a fail lol. Still on my build list tho. So this has really peeked my interest. I might learn something. Subscribed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Styrene can definitely be a challenge. Thankfully I've played enough with it and done enough other "fitting" with other materials this is off to a good start.

Transmission, shocks, motor, rear axle truss and rear axle steering linkage arrived today. Now I can start chassis design!

Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice! I'm glad to see someone else sick of the small scale big rigs. I'm about to start a very long slow build of a scratch built 1/10 scale Autocar ATF64 after my real 1:1 truck. Going to be BIG lol. Will be watching this closely.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Nice! I'm glad to see someone else sick of the small scale big rigs. I'm about to start a very long slow build of a scratch built 1/10 scale Autocar ATF64 after my real 1:1 truck. Going to be BIG lol. Will be watching this closely.
Ben
Thanks, this definitely won't be "scale". More like a shafty with a hard body lol. By the time it's all said and done it'll be right on the ragged edge of a few rules in the SORCCA book.

Had some time to play with it today. Got the rear filler panel in the cab and cut a window that matches the same heights as the rest of the windows and looks proportional IMO. Got started on the filler panel for the hole in the roof. It's currently drying with some styrene/bondene mix I use for small gap filler. My go-to method now is sanding the parts as close to fitting as possible, bonding/reinforcing the joint and filling with this stuff. Once sanded out it looks like I'll need very little actual spot putty and I won't have to worry about it popping out.

Played with the trans a little. Man this thing looks sweet. I haven't seen one in a "scaler" yet (although I'm sure there's a few) and am excited to try it. I threw the only 19t pinion on it, a robinson aluminum one from my drift car. I'll need to get some steel ones on order. My gears and shafts for my t-case should be here by Friday so I can do some design work this weekend and send it off to Shapeways.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHammer View Post
Thanks, this definitely won't be "scale". More like a shafty with a hard body lol.
Loving this idea and can't wait to see how it turns out. I've been thinking about a "high performance" hard body for awhile. I had a Bullhead SCX-10 I sold and still miss that thing.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

This is going to be sick! I love the concept.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I like it! Excited to see how you do the chassis. I use a Bulldog (Berg based) trans on my C1 and C2 rigs and love it. I think the hulksta trans has a lower ratio that should work well with big tires.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Loving this idea and can't wait to see how it turns out. I've been thinking about a "high performance" hard body for awhile. I had a Bullhead SCX-10 I sold and still miss that thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is going to be sick! I love the concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
I like it! Excited to see how you do the chassis. I use a Bulldog (Berg based) trans on my C1 and C2 rigs and love it. I think the hulksta trans has a lower ratio that should work well with big tires.
Thanks y'all! I'm real excited to get back on this after a business trip. I still have a long way to go (obviously) but scrambling to get it done so I can get lots of seat time in before Crawl-A-Palooza this year.

I did manage to get the roof panel sanded and the hood is glued back on. I also wasn't happy with how the windshield support looked, somehow it was bent. So I cut it out and I'll be putting a new one in tomorrow. Once I fill the last couple holes in the roof I'll do a quick "guide goat" of primer and hopefully almost zero spot putty.

My T-Case parts arrived earlier this week. I'll be designing a 3 gear case with axial 26t gears from the t-case in the scx10.2 and using the DLUX 10.2 output shafts. This will allow me to have the spacing I need between the input and output for everything to clear nicely and have counter rotating driveshafts to kill torque twist. Once the design is complete this weekend I'll get it uploaded to shapeways. Hopefully it gets here quick so I can start on the chassis since it will be a combo t-case and skid plate.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #10

This thing is going to be so sick when finished

#teamRamRod
NoRotor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

It was freaking hot outside today so I got the t-case and skid plate designed, uploaded and ordered. Also decided to try saving myself some headaches and designed some parts to bolt to the skid that have a "nipple" that will slide into the tube for keeping it centered while brazing. It should make it much easier than trying to drill through a tube and shapeways only wanted $11/ea to print them in stainless. Played around with some cage design as well but I didn't want to get too crazy with it, so some of the joints are sloppy, whatever, it won't be that way when I actually build it. Was more so just an opportunity to stare at it and see if I really like the concept.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Any updates on this sweet build?
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Looks like a good start man, you've definitely peeked my interest, I've always enjoyed big rig builds. Sub'd.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Synister_Intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel kawboy View Post
Any updates on this sweet build?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synister_Intent View Post
Looks like a good start man, you've definitely peeked my interest, I've always enjoyed big rig builds. Sub'd.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks y'all. No major updates on this. I've been traveling a lot for work and vacation the past month. My goal is to have the body in primer this weekend and chassis under way within a couple weeks. I did manage to order up all the final items I needed for the axles. I think I'm going to scrap that chassis plan, there's just too many points in it that I'm not structurally pleased with. The new one should be cool, just as light and worth more points once I can do some more body stuff.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Aaaaaaand resume build. I got kinda sidetracked between work and doing a transmission design for a friends C2 rig.

Last round of parts came in. I did manage to get some work done on the body this weekend, but it was so minor it wasn't even worth taking pics of.

This round of parts includes;
3 sets of 1.9 RB XL's in Alien Kompound to match up to a set of RBII sidewalls since they're currently too wide
3 sets of CI foams
VP diff covers (may switch to stock if these get hung up)
VP link mounts
VP bearing caps
VP VXD set (2nd set for rear axle)
Hitec 7950 for rear steering, I couldn't get a 7980 to work with the dlux truss
Castle WP BEC
Brass Beef Tubes
Fast Eddy bearings
and another package of styrene so I could get to the next coupon level lol

More to come soon!
Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

wicked build, looking forward to updates.
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Minor update. Got started modding the tires, sanded on the body and built the rear axle. Tires are 1.9 Rock Beast XL's in Alien Kompound increased to 5.5" OD without foams on 2.2 RBII sidewalls.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Minor update and revelation. I got the front axle built, started playing with them and realized that the beef tubes are rubbing on the VXD axle shafts. When assembling the rear I only spun the ring and pinion to check bind there, not once fully assembled. Whatever, I'll get them torn down and pulled out.

Also was looking through my plethora of parts and found a set of SCX10 frame rails. Decided to hold these up to the body and was shocked at how good these fit. I was going to design a full chassis but may take the easier route and use these. I'm not convinced I could fab a chassis lighter than a stock c-channel one anyways.

Big Pete - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Budhatrain's Big Pete 6x6 build budhatrain Multi Axle Rigs 12 02-17-2015 09:34 AM
New Crawler Course ST PETE>? skee Florida 68 08-08-2013 03:38 PM
Old pete #154 SEMIJOE Non Crawler RC's 9 09-21-2010 01:02 PM
Coming to St. Pete dont slow down Florida 2 06-13-2010 01:42 PM