RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   2.2 Scale Rigs (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/)
-   -   A different kind of Bomber... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/591526-different-kind-bomber.html)

generalee7 11-06-2017 08:24 PM

A different kind of Bomber...

1 Attachment(s)
Decided I wanted to build something and the Bomber is my only RC at the moment so its getting a makeover again :lmao: While searching onlinemetals.com one day I saw they sold DOM tubing in 1/4" x .035 wall thicknesses. $50 later, I had a few sticks in my hand. Plan so far is this.. Remove the stock Axial Bomber cage and replicate the chassis out of 1/4" DOM to the best of my ability. Seeing as I haven't used my TIG welder much since I bought it, I felt it would be a good opportunity to get some machine time in.

I started building off the sub frame. After looking at the Axial chassis for an extended period of time, I decided to build the toughest single tube first. Basically build the chassis from the bottom up. This tube has 12 bends in it :ror: It did take a little tweaking to the driver side after this picture was taken but you get the idea "thumbsup" Its just about dead on center now.

generalee7 11-06-2017 08:52 PM

Re: A different kind of Bomber...

5 Attachment(s)
Next I wanted to build the sliders since they seemed to be the next step in beginning to build the chassis upwards. The door bars and main chassis tubes all mount to the sliders. Since these are sufficiently melted, I may finish out all the bottom tubes first before continuing as some of them might be very difficult to reach with the TIG torch when I start adding more up top. This will do for now though "thumbsup" Don't mind the extra holes on the main chassis tube, they will get welded and ground smooth. That was part of tweaking the chassis more to the driver side to center it.

generalee7 11-06-2017 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to show the difference between the Harbor Freight bender and a better quality bender with a tighter radius and a much shorter leg so less tube is wasted.

Also just ordered 4 feet of 3/16" x .035 DOM and 4 feet of 1/4" x .028 DOM in hopes of saving a little weight. I plan to make the parts that will see abuse out of 1/4" x .035. Stringers like window tubes will get 3/16 and structural tubes that might see a load but not a direct hit to rocks will get 1/4" x .028 tube. Can't wait to get more done!

generalee7 11-07-2017 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a little more done today. Sliders are done, ready to start moving upward in the chassis "thumbsup"

cmbscx10 11-09-2017 07:48 AM

Great start so far. Look forward to the progress updates.

BigSki 11-09-2017 04:06 PM

"thumbsup" I have not even attempted to TIG any tubing yet, I wouldn't even know where to begin on such a small dia tube.

What sort of tubing bender are you using, it seems to work very well.

generalee7 11-09-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSki (Post 5765637)
"thumbsup" I have not even attempted to TIG any tubing yet, I wouldn't even know where to begin on such a small dia tube.

What sort of tubing bender are you using, it seems to work very well.

Up to this point I've used this bender. While it works, its not the greatest by any means and is a little difficult to put 2 bends close to one another.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-bender-3755.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/media/...mage_18464.jpg

For the remainder of the build I'll be using one similar to this.

https://resources.cleanitsupply.com/...SCO/150518.JPG

Thanks for the feedback! Hoping to get more done on it this weekend "thumbsup"

84yoda 11-09-2017 08:13 PM

Having seen on IG the tube work you did to your taco, this should turn out awesome. "thumbsup"

You should look into something like this: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFW4

generalee7 11-10-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84yoda (Post 5765694)
Having seen on IG the tube work you did to your taco, this should turn out awesome. "thumbsup"

You should look into something like this: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFW4

I hope so! I like to think I have an eye for detail work. Is that a bender? See even I see that as limiting only because sometimes you need to bend in 2 different planes and that bottom plate would potentially interfere with a bend right next to it. I also think any tighter radius than 9/16 will flatten out the tube too much. DOM is a bit tougher to bend than other tube because its made for building structural items. I think the bender I've got will work fine "thumbsup"

generalee7 11-15-2017 10:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Few more updates. Added some structural tubes tonight. Don't mind the wonky tube at the very back, this DOM is stiff but not too stiff such that I can't bend it into the perfect position. The bottom A and B pillars are a little closer than the Axial version but it should be easy enough to trim out some new skins out of aluminum that are a little shorter in length. Height is almost spot on :twisted: Other than the A and B uprights, the chassis is only 1/16 off everywhere else. Having fun building this one!

generalee7 11-15-2017 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Una mas prior to welding

generalee7 11-16-2017 08:12 AM

Had to order a couple more sticks of DOM. So far I'm over $100 just in material alone! Oh well, the end result will be worth it "thumbsup"

cmbscx10 11-16-2017 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by generalee7 (Post 5767553)
Had to order a couple more sticks of DOM. So far I'm over $100 just in material alone! Oh well, the end result will be worth it "thumbsup"

Very nice work so far."thumbsup"

Tubing is definitely expensive so it's no wonder why these are so expensive.

Di_Spencer 11-16-2017 10:28 AM

You should look at your local metal supply store if you have one. Sometimes you can get lucky and find cut lengths in the scrap area for very cheap. I got 2 pieces that were about 4-5 feet for $3.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

ferp420 11-16-2017 10:57 AM

I tryed that with my wraith but by the time i was done i ended up with a 5th scale wraith lol

generalee7 11-16-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 (Post 5767578)
Very nice work so far."thumbsup"

Tubing is definitely expensive so it's no wonder why these are so expensive.

Thanks! I tried to keep it scale with the 1/4" tubing. The stock chassis is .275" diameter and 1/8 of 1.75" DOM is .218". Close enough :lmao: Is yours made of solid rod or hollow? How much does it weigh? And what material did he use on it? Looks really nice!

generalee7 11-16-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Di_Spencer (Post 5767593)
You should look at your local metal supply store if you have one. Sometimes you can get lucky and find cut lengths in the scrap area for very cheap. I got 2 pieces that were about 4-5 feet for $3.

Yeah I should. The metal itself isn't much, $9 for 4 feet of it but shipping kills the deal.

Di_Spencer 11-16-2017 12:50 PM

Yeah. I agree about the shipping being expensive. Check out Zoro, I bought my stainless for my cage there. I paid $5 shipping for 1 6ft piece.

generalee7 11-16-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Di_Spencer (Post 5767632)
Yeah. I agree about the shipping being expensive. Check out Zoro, I bought my stainless for my cage there. I paid $5 shipping for 1 6ft piece.

They have plenty of stainless but no A513 DOM

generalee7 11-18-2017 11:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Everyone likes pictures right? Finished off the other side and started tying it all together. Almost out of argon on the welder :roll: