Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: RCC Spartan Buggy Resurrection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default RCC Spartan Buggy Resurrection

Happy new year. We decided to tear the Low Life Buggy down, with aspirations to make it a full on hill killing rock bouncer.
But we couldn’t go the whole holiday vacation with out a Buggy to drive. So we ordered up some Axial hardened ring and pinions with Incision spools for the front Axial axle and for the new rear center pinion plastic SSD axle.
The front got SSD knuckles and C’s and we ditched the Axial dog bones for new Axial units.
Hung from 110mm King Shocks and SSD and Axial links.
The rear was pretty much done after the gears and spool. SSD sends their axle shafts with the new axle housing. The rear was suspended with 120mm King shocks and SSD and Axial upper and lower links.

Late in the vacation we got some Pro-Line Denali wheels for our cut Boggers. They are great!

We ran this all on a Castle motor / ESC on 2S. Most of our driving was on the beach. All of that “dune” running had the buggy full of sand. We also noted that 3 of the 4 King shocks were leaking by the end of the trip. No big deal.

Here are some pics. We are contemplating starting over with this thing or ditching it all together. It’s a good trail rig, and spare for when we have friends over. Time will tell.
Hope y’all are well.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-09-2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Picture size
dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: RCC Spartan Buggy Resurrection

We went with a Hot Racing sway bar in the front. I can report that the sway bar has made a difference. But only due to the fact that this is our trail buggy, will we stick with this unit. On the Low Life Buggy build we will use Currie's just simply because they come with heim joints instead of Hot Racing's snap on design (I really don't know the technical term, but the end links literally snap on).

PS: Don't pay attention to the one Krawler on the front right. We're waiting on a new hex adapter to come in.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-09-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Pic size
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Picture of the build in process.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-09-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Picture size
Old 01-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Out Running RC Command Hill.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-09-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: PictureSize
Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

More pics?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Rebuilding the rear axle, due to the fact that we grated the teeth off the cheap Axial gears. I have all intention of replacing both differentials with harden steel versions, how ever in an attempt to stay loyal to my local hobby shops, it'll have to wait until they get another shipment in. We all know that will be a wHile.
We also replaced the Incision Spool.

I've mentioned it before, but haven't delivered, but I am working on video for all of our buggies. From what's in the RC Command stable, to shock tuning. We can't wait to share all of the rock bouncing goodness.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-09-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Picture size
Old 02-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
More pics?
Here is the build thread: RC Command Spartan Buggy build

I used to post in the Wraith Forum, but my builds are more 2.2 scale than Wraith any more.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Spent some time breaking in our new gears and locker and drive shafts.

Took a min to pose for the camera.

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-08-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Adjusting picture size
Old 02-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Another good looking monster truck for sure. Well done Sir

Ugh, monster truck was not the look I was going for. More trail buggy / southern buggy / rock bouncer. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

Went out exploring today, and ran in to this little rock garden. About 10 feet in some how some "iron" like vines got wrapped around the right rear wheel, basically warping the mounting surface of the wheel while the vines basically ripped the wheel off. This in turn caused the wheel to wobble, which made it impossible for the wheel to stay tight on the hex adapter whilst running the trail. Of course I wasn't going to let the trail beat me, and we continued on. Long story short, I made it to the end of the trail. No worse for wear, we cordoned off a short section of the rock garden, for a quick rock bouncer style time trial. Again the damn vines got the best of the SB and wrapped around the back wheels. This caused the OEM Axial driveshaft to pretzel (running Axial unit while I'm waiting for the MIP rebuild kits to come in). So this ended our day. Didn't even burn through one battery.

We have a parts list for this thing, so hopefully the next time we post you'll see some changes, too include some paint on the back half, finally.

The Spartan buggy has been there from the beginning. I don't know if we could ever get rid of her.
Attached Images

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-13-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Tearing in to the front Axial AR60. Found the bolts holding the lower shock mounts had worked its way through the plastic housing, and rubbed on the Axial universal shaft. I will not be replacing these right away. But eventually we will get new ones and this one can be a back up.

Also pictured is a broken pin we found on the right front, as well as one of our new Denali wheels spinning on the VP hex adapters. Fly High hobbies ordered us a new set, along with a new housing.

Last edited by dondraper25; 02-13-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

RC Command Leads the way! Just a quick update on the front axle rebuild. Fly High Hobbies came through big time (again) with an AR60 housing that we needed desperately. We are on vacation (still) and it's a good feeling to know that we can count on our local hobby shops to take care of us. So thank you again to those gents.
Whilst re-assembling, we decided to change out the Traxxas end links (which were too long, causing our "toe" angle to be way off) with factory Axial units. Toe is still in need of adjusting, but it's way closer than it was. Again thank you High Fly for stocking the parts we needed. We also ordered a new set of Pro-Line Denali wheels and Axial Hex adapters. We did this to replace the damaged Pro-Line wheels as a result of the dang steel braided vines that grow in this area.
Attached Images

RCC Spartan Buggy Resurrection - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Command Spartan Buggy build dondraper25 Axial Wraith 54 08-29-2017 08:28 PM
How the Spartan Buggy Travels dondraper25 Axial Wraith 5 05-08-2017 08:37 PM
Spartan Buggy Electronics dondraper25 Electronics 2 05-03-2017 06:14 AM
Southern Buggy 1.1 owners thrilled with RCC!! Hoyta Chit Chat 2 02-26-2012 11:04 AM
Blackfoot resurrection ToTheMAXXcrawler Chit Chat 4 07-14-2006 12:18 AM