Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Cake's custom 2.2 - A 3d printed and parts bin build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cake's custom 2.2 - A 3d printed and parts bin build

This is my attempt at building a 2.2 rig from spare and 3d printed parts. Id like to keep the budget as low as possible on this one. Shooting for a low cg, lightweight, relatively slow crawler type rig, no trailing arms or antiroll bar.

Existing parts: CBE switchback ultra carbon frame rails, HR low cg transmission, semi built AR60s, bomber kit shocks, WB8HD driveshafts. Lots of misc links to work with and some 2.2 wheel/tire options. HW1080 esc, Axial Trailbreaker 35t motor, 2200 3s.

Parts I plan to print: Skid, front brace/battery mount, rear brace, shock towers, bumpers(?)

Im not the best at drawing in 3d, ill be using tinkercad. For the base shape of some of these parts I took a picture of the framerail, touched it up in a photo editor, converted it to an .svg, imported it into tinkercad and extruded it. The best thing about this is you can use any measurement of the framerail to scale the part properly and all the holes are positioned correctly.

Front brace with horizontal battery mount. Plenty of clearance of front for axle mount servo.

modified thingiverse skid.

Rear brace w bumper.

Last edited by professorcake; 02-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.
professorcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Cake's custom 2.2 - A 3d printed and parts bin build

Old 02-26-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Coming together, although im not really satisfied with the rear brace/bumper. Skid and front brace/battery mount look good. My little printer has been cranking away, made some shock mounts inspired by the CBE ones. I used two longer then necessary countersunk screws through two of the motor mount holes then threaded down some nylon standoffs, they are just higher then the rear output shaft of the transmission. Think ill make a little mount for the esc there as its nice and low and easy. Front bumper is printing away but i might run out of filament!

Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Front bumper, 35g of lead sticky weights. hopefully it will clear the servo arm/linkage.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Making progress after lots of messing with links and driveshafts. Wheelbase is around 330mm, longer than my scx10ii, shorter than my bomber. Ground clearance to the skid is about 8cm. Good forward weight bias even with no battery. Front bumper did not clear the servo arm so it became the rear bumper for now. Hacked up that rear brace/bumper down to just a brace. Printed a new front bumper but it might be a bit to long, good enough for now. No idea what I am going to do for a body at this point but still have some work to do before I start trying to fit bodies. I decided to go a different route all together with this rig and I have some very unique electronics on order. It will not feature a standard 2.4 tx/rx, stay tuned.

Last edited by professorcake; 04-06-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Sorry I am sure you would rather talk about the 3d printed parts but how was the speed on that transmission and what pinion did you use? It looks to be one of the lowest geared tranny options available.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

How are those shock towers holding up?
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Cake's custom 2.2 - A 3d printed and parts bin build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My parts bin scx10 build 2manyprojects Videos! 0 11-06-2016 05:11 PM
Bomber parts bin build - code name: Floppy-Sheet-Metal Irishchamp Axial RR10 Bomber 21 09-05-2016 10:26 AM
My 1.9 Truggy build.... Parts Bin for the Win MudHoncho 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 01-11-2015 07:43 PM
Get the FOFF out of here, the parts bin build stewbaru Formula Offroad 6 12-13-2011 05:07 PM