Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ryft kit , spool or gears?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #1

Default Ryft kit , spool or gears?

I知 starting to build my new Ryft kit and I知 stuck deciding how to build the 3 differentials. They included spools and gears for all three. So locked the center , and run the front and rear open? Or lock the front and rear and run the center open? Or say f-it and spool all 3? I clearly need some advice .
Paulwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ryft kit , spool or gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwayz View Post
I知 starting to build my new Ryft kit and I知 stuck deciding how to build the 3 differentials. They included spools and gears for all three. So locked the center , and run the front and rear open? Or lock the front and rear and run the center open? Or say f-it and spool all 3? I clearly need some advice .

Well I understand that completely. First off what is your intended use for it. I just got a Ryft RTR in that was had a blown differential so I was struggling with this same problem. Do I fix it back to all diffs or spools and diffs or all spools. For me I am attempting at making this more rock crawler than bouncer. So Im putting ssd spools in all three locations. From what I have seen so far of the diffs from doing the center and rear last night there are some definite problems. Maybe some shimming might help but until better gears are available this thing will probably just eat the diffs. If you want to use as more speed basher and rock bouncer than I would say diffs at least in the front but probably rear as well and spool in the center. I would take the time and shim everything in the diffs to as close to perfection as possible and that might hold up for a reasonable amount of time. I'm going to attempt this at some point by getting an extra gear set and setting up a set of diffs that are shimmed that can just be swapped out a little easier.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

As a lot (including myself) have done, gears for center & front, with the locker in the rear. Then, go extra-heavy on the fluids. I'm running 500K in the front, and 2.5M in the center.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
As a lot (including myself) have done, gears for center & front, with the locker in the rear. Then, go extra-heavy on the fluids. I'm running 500K in the front, and 2.5M in the center.

How well has that worked so far? What kind of terrain does it run on? How well have the diffs held up so far.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have exploded all three diffs in my RYFT...

I now have lockers in all three...

I was running 20 million wt fluid in all three diffs...

I like big horsepower climbs in loose soil, and I found even with the super heavy diff fluid, handling was erratic and the rig hard to control. Frequently I was finding only 1 or 2 tires spinning and usually the one with the least amount of grip. Not good when you are trying to climb a loose hill with rocks. I haven't broken anything yet, but I probably will and will post when I do.

We (local group) were supposed to go hill killing yesterday, but got rained out.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10 JK View Post
How well has that worked so far? What kind of terrain does it run on? How well have the diffs held up so far.

First, to let you know, I'm running the Castle Copperhead 10 ESC & Tekin ROC412HD 3100kv (don't remember the pinion tooth count). As for use, mostly run at Linda Vista Park (where RC Review does his videos), "racing" through lines 1 & 2, plus at the track at Calabazas Park...and, so far, so good...no problems.

Honestly, I'm less worried about the diff gears, and more worried about the front & center diff cups...but (just in case), I will admit that I picked up 2 of the machined aluminum diff cups, and 2 sets of the HD ring & pinion gears, from Vitavon. I've also got Arthur's front & rear HD axle shafts. However, like the diff cups and R&P gears, I haven't installed the shafts yet. With the exception of the multi-position shock mounts from Treal, all other installed upgrades are from Vitavon. The only other upgrade I'm considering is replacing the plastic 'Wild Boar' driveshafts with driveshafts from MIP.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

My diffs exploded on first pack. I Cleaned out the diff cases and locked the gears with Devcon plastic steel epoxy putty. Solid as a rock and no issues after tons of hard abuse. I’ve got ssd spools(and axle tubes) on order from amain. The whole design of the diffs is not good. There is to much slop in the bevel gear/out drive. There’s not enough material on the ring gear to support shims and they will fail. Locked up ftw
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
My diffs exploded on first pack. I Cleaned out the diff cases and locked the gears with Devcon plastic steel epoxy putty. Solid as a rock and no issues after tons of hard abuse. I致e got ssd spools(and axle tubes) on order from amain. The whole design of the diffs is not good. There is to much slop in the bevel gear/out drive. There痴 not enough material on the ring gear to support shims and they will fail. Locked up ftw
Yup that's what I been doing this weekend got the ssd spools and the axle tubes. Got the spool in the center and rear done and installed the 2 speed as well. Gonna finish up installing front spool and the front axle tubes in the morning.

Old 10-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback. I truly appreciate it.
Anyways, had anyone ran spools front and rear and the center open?
I might try this but I知 afraid that it will steer terrible.
Paulwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I havn't seen anyone so far run that combination but I would think that your right it should for all practical purposes handle similarly to a bomber with poor steering. There is a hug difference in handling of the SMT10 with diffs front and rear compared to a bomber that's locked up.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

M2C.

Lock them up. all 3.

Until Vanquish etc get a GOOD set of Diff gears, or better yet, a well designed and functional diff gear setup with Good Hardened spider gears in them, you'll be in them putting lockers in by pack 3, if not sooner.

Lock them now until Vanquish has good diff gears at least.

I asked Joh on a live stream a bit ago and he said yes they were going to be making Ryft Gearsets for the Diffs. Now that they have Axles nearly ready and a couple other items, hopefully the diff gears are next/soon.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I tried this, then went to locked all the way throughout.

Just lock up the whole rig, It works really well this way.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Ryft kit , spool or gears? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the Axial Ryft appreciated here? I just completed my kit (sans body) check it out! wwaveform 2.2 Scale Rigs 13 01-28-2023 04:11 PM
Ryft hardened diff gears? NickelPlate 2.2 Scale Rigs 12 02-11-2022 05:02 AM
Reusing spool gears? crawlinisfun Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-13-2011 07:42 AM