Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Voodoobrew's 3D Printed 32 Ford Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Voodoobrew's 3D Printed 32 Ford Crawler

I designed much of this car in Fusion 360 (Files is here Fusion 32 ford). The body is from a fella named Ossum, and the running gear and electronics were spares I had laying around from my Axial RR10 Bomber.

Parts list:

Transmission: Standard Ax10 style but with the extended output shaft to allow for larger spur gears. I Had to do some grinding on the motor plate to move the motor out further then the stock holes would allow.

Motor: Holmes Hobbies TrailMaster Sport 550 27t
TRAILMASTER SPORT 550 27t.

Pinion gear: Robinson Racing 48P 9T

Spur gear: kimbrough 48P 96T

Drivelines: I used the plastic ones that came with the Bomber, slow crawling they last me long time.

Tires: Stock Bomber Tires - 2.2 BFGoodrich Baja T/A KR2 Tires - R35 Compound

Wheels: Stock Bomber wheels - 2.2 Walker Evans Wheels with 3d printed wheel nuts (cause I don't have any 4mm wheel nuts

Front axle: Stock ar60 bomber front axle with universal shafts, and vanquish aluminum knuckles/C-hubs.
Rear axle: Stock axle bomber ar60 rear axle with LURC FI Spool, and under-drive gears.

Steering servo: I ran the dirt cheap Power HD LW-20MG Waterproof Digital High Torque Servo but I swapped it out with a 3brc g13 ( I used the power HD as a two speed shift servo in my scx10 II).

Battery: True Spec Premium 11.1V 4500mAh 85Amps/90C.

Transmitter/Reciever: Spektrum DX5 Pro with SR210 reciever.

ESC: QuicRun WP Crawler Brushed.

Shocks: stock shocks off a scx10 II. Heavier rear springs went in the front to hold up the battery.

4 link suspension rods: I made my own using 1/4 in steel rod from a local hardware store and traxxas rod ends.

The roof is held on with magnets for easy access to candy.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 10-24-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Voodoobrew's 32 Ford

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 08-10-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #3

Default Re: Voodoobrew's 3D Printed 32 Ford Crawler

That thing is bad ass! Nice modeling skills too!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

As Jato said. Just plain bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
4kids crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

This is cool! And definitely different. Nice job!!

And all this time I thought all Clovis had to offer was Cannon.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! The 32 Ford has always drawn my attention when ever I have seen one. I have been wanting one, even a kit car version would be awesome. I ended up making my own, just a tiny version.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Nice build!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
phillysteak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Was that render done (in Fusion 360) outside of the "model" tab? i think there are other options like Sketch (not to be confused with the "sketch" that is done when in the Model type of design). and a few others that allow you to use bubbles and create stuff or morph it.

Last edited by IPT; 08-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It was all in the model tab. Even the body (which I didn't make) was in the model tab, made using lofts. The exhaust pipes are from the pipe command, I just made a 2d sketch and moved the points into 3d space the linked them with the thing that's like the line command but it makes smooth curves.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 08-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
It was all in the model tab. Even the body (which I didn't make) was in the model tab, made using lofts. The exhaust pipes are from the pipe command, I just made a 2d sketch and moved the points into 3d space the linked them with the thing that's like the line command but it makes smooth curves.
Cool. Wow, so much to learn. Seems like that program has no bounds (and a lot of way to do the same thing)! I've barely scratched the surface of it watching to videos by Lars but I have been really enjoying it. I appreciate you sharing your creation, it's way cool.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:05 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I bought a few Holmes motors all 2200kv: puller pro BL standard, TrailMaster 550 21t, and CrawlMaster 550 10t.
I went with the Crawlmaster 10t 550, It had the lowest initial crawl speed and enough torque at my 80:1 gear ratio.
The puller pro had noticeably more torque at its initial startup speed, but that speed was high enough in my test that the Crawlmaster could make it over the obstacle at lower speeds. It also had noticeably more speed at full throttle.
The Trailmaster I found to be a very capable motor and well worth the $20, with only slightly higher startup speed then the Crawlmaster. In the future This will be my goto motor and the motor I recommend, as I don't feel the performance gains justify the cost vs the other two motors. Unless you need more wheel speed, then go brushless.

Each motor began moving the car at different throttle percentages, this initial movement/throttle% also had a positive correlation to the initial startup speed. I believe this is attributed to the motors torque in a positive correlation as well.
Puller Pro BL standard: started moving at lowest throttle % and moved the fastest at initial startup. (probably highest torque)
TrailMaster 550 21t: started moving at a medium throttle % and initial startup speed was between the other 2 motors.
Crawlmaster 10t 550: started moving at the highest throttle % and moved the slowest at initial startup. (probably lowest torque)
Something to note, after I chose the Crawlmaster, I set the throttle curve to jump to like 12% immediately which is where the crawl master started moving so I don't have so much throttle dead band.

I also bought a Mamba x and a TrailMaster BLE Pro.
I ended up using the BLE Pro I only have a 2ch receiver in this rig, but that's not why I chose the BLE pro. The Castle Mamba X, same as my Castle sidewinder 3's I believer run with a lower PWM frequency that is audible to the point of annoyance at very low speeds. over 25% throttle and the gear noise wins out. Also the Dithered PWM of the BLE pro has an almost appealing noise as well as lower startup speeds. I don't think I will use the adjustable drag brake enough to sacrifice the dithered mode for it.

I put the Mamba X and Puller pro in my kids SCX10 and noticed it had better downhill control compared to the Crawlmaster on the BLE pro, I will need to look into this more.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 09-24-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Voodoobrew's 3D Printed 32 Ford Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voodoobrew's MoA Bomber Voodoobrew Axial RR10 Bomber 19 10-03-2020 04:57 PM
79 ford __T__ 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 01-27-2014 08:38 PM