Notices

Thread: Kamaz Inspired Dakar Build - The Tekin K55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Kamaz Inspired Dakar Build - The Tekin K55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I'd love to but the files for these will never be released for many reasons. I hope to be able to offer the parts someday though.
4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Update for the week; painting has begun! Here's a little teaser for now until the wrap is on. Next week I hope to knock out the interior, paint the chassis and start reassembling for the final time.

Well, when you're ready to sell...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:02 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Most everything is painted now with the exception of a few parts that still need to print (printer has been down for over a week now ) so it's almost time for the final assembly! Frame is fresh out of paint and I'll start to video the assembly process from here on out. Hoping to be wrapped up in the next 3 weeks or so if everything falls into place, Axialfest is the deadline!

Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #44
RCC Addict

A ton has happened these past few weeks and it's time for a big update. I'm pushing hard to get this done in time for Axialfest and right now it's looking pretty good!

When the frame came out of paint it was time to start pulling the wiring through. There's a mile of wire in this truck; well not really, but there is just about 30 feet of it. Yes, you read that correctly. Two Tekin servos, an RX4, the ROC412 HD 2300kV, a Spektrum 6ch receiver, GT Power LED box, 24 individual LEDs, 2 6" LED strips, a ProLine 6" LED bar and one radio controlled dual-port lighting switch. I think that's all of it and did I mention it is a ton of wiring? First pic shows some of the bundle that I ran under the transmission and down the left frame rail. We designed a receiver box with a wire conduit off the side and printed a bunch of 90* "L" brackets for securing the wiring inside the frame rail. Everything tucks away and goes up into the fuel cell in the back to the LED box and switch.

The battery wiring took some careful routing, but with a bit of patience I managed to sneak it through the drop frame where it's safely secured under the drive shaft. Running 2 ProTek 8200mAh 2S LIHV packs in this truck series for 4S voltage. The wires running back to the RX4 are secured with some Axial wire clips.

I really focused on wire management with this build and my goal is to tuck everything as neatly and discrete as possible. I re-purposed a few of our sensor wire sleeves to hide and protect a lot of the small gauge stuff and make it look neat. Plus lots of little Tekin logos all over the place!

The tail lights look perfect and are mounted in Axial barrel buckets. Don't mind the door, it will all be covered with a wrap in a few days time.

The rock lights are mounted in Axial buckets as well. The rears mount to a box truss and the fronts mount to the limiter strap mounts. I sleeved all the wiring in Tekin sensor wire sleeves. I also mounted the ESS ONE+ sound module behind the cab. It's nice and loud!

There are two 6" LED strips inside the rear box running off the 4S circuit. The switch is just to the rear left of the ESC next to a rock light pod. Nice and bright inside! Shows off the inside really well. I have to say, I'm really proud of the wiring I did in this truck. All those hours were definitely worth the effort.

The cab is coming along great so far. Got a windshield cut and the roof is mounted. I just need to finish up detailing on the dashboard, put the roll cage, floor and seats in and then it can get mounted to the front hinge.

The cab exterior is looking awesome. We have the air unit up top, intake brush guards, A-pillar guards, a badass windshield visor and the main brush guard installed. She looks mean and I love it.

I'm definitely feeling the pressure to get this truck done for Axialfest. It drives, shifts gears, lights all work and makes diesel noises so now I just have to crack down and finish up the last few projects to get it ready to go. Once the cab is finished and mounted I just need to start wrapping it. There are some parts that can't go on until they are wrapped and some need to come off to be wrapped, but it should happen fairly quickly. Then I just need to secure a few LEDs and check this almost year long project off my list and relax.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Just WOW :O
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Couple more things completed on the truck today. Got the rear mudflaps printed out of Bridge, painted and installed. Fronts will go on probably last.

Got inner splash guards on the front painted and mounted up and also got the dual shock setup on the front axle done.

Lastly and this is probably my favorite part of the whole build, the mesh box top. This was a tricky piece to pull off, but I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. We used actual screen mesh for screen printing and stretched it a tad in the custom frame that holds it and the lexan top panel together. Once it was in place, I laid a vinyl on it and airbrushed the mesh the same grey blue as the rest of the truck. Then I peeled off the logo mask and done!

Now I just have to wrap the beast and put all the panels on. The cab can then go together completely and be mounted to the hinge. Then I'll show you how we're holding it down!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Truck is ridiculously cool, so much win in every update...

Looking forward to the fully wrapped vehicle pics!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #48
RCC Addict

I posted a few teasers last week leading up to Axialfest 2019, but here is the truck wrapped and about 99% complete!

On the way to Axialfest 2019!

On display at the Tekin booth on some brand new RC4WD scale garage flooring!

Then the good stuff because this truck will be no shelf queen. We stopped off in Nevada at some sand dunes off HWY 95 and put the K-55 to the test in the sand and I am extremely happy with how well it does. Plenty of wheel speed to get up pretty steep inclines and the suspension really works and keeps it pretty stable. The Antirock sway bars are set to full stiff so the body roll is acceptable for an 18.3lb truck moving at close to 20mph across the sand. I still need to tune the springs some, stiffer would help and I definitely need to go up in oil weight but it is pretty good as it is!

And yeah, I do drive these things. Within reason of course, but they get put through their scale paces!

Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #49
Im Brandon

By far the best thing I saw at AF. You guys killed it on this build.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I shudder to think how much you could sell this sort of vehicle for... Sky's the limit!

But I'm sure it's worth building and showing it off in pure publicity for Tekin products.

Please post some movie-length videos, use up the entire battery packs!

Hot-damn that rig is the sweetest...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
By far the best thing I saw at AF. You guys killed it on this build.
Thank you sir! Was great to see you this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I shudder to think how much you could sell this sort of vehicle for... Sky's the limit!

But I'm sure it's worth building and showing it off in pure publicity for Tekin products.

Please post some movie-length videos, use up the entire battery packs!

Hot-damn that rig is the sweetest...
It's tough to even put a number on it really. Hundreds of hours, maybe even over a thousand hours from concept to reality and it took myself, our lead designer and the support of many awesome companies to bring it to life. I'm working on a video and still have a lot to go shoot but hopefully here in the next week or so!
Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #52

Any chance you guys will share stl files? Or are you planning to produce this?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
ZooPaPhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #53
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooPaPhly View Post
Any chance you guys will share stl files? Or are you planning to produce this?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Doubtful anyone is giving away 1000 hours of work for nothing. it would take months to produce each one just because printing takes a millennia. If you sent it to shape ways it would cost more than a ripper.

I'm drooling over the LMTV every time I see it!
Eddy The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #54
RCC Addict

There are no plans to release the files. I checked Shapeways and just the cab alone was close to $800 and that was just a stripped down version that wouldn't mount to anything.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #55
RCC Addict

This project was fun and stressful at the same time but in the end it is always worth it. Got some more pictures and shot more video last week, should have time to get some videos edited soon! Found just a bit of silt, which was a lot of fun but it's also everywhere and things are starting to squeak!

Also had some minor issues, the biggest one being our bearing carrier for the drive shafts. Looks like there is a little bit missing now. Going to have to tear down to replace it with a different design.

The rear drive shaft is a bit twisted also, but I expected it when we've got 4S pushing an 18.3lb truck around.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Truly EPIC build!

Big heavy rigs tend to have Issues all their own... looking forward to the updated parts....
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:19 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Simply amazing!!! Great job, looking forward to the videos!!!!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #58
RCC Addict

I totally forgot to post the video link, but here it is!

Project K-55: 1/10 Kamaz 3D Printed Rally Raid Truck
Old 08-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Turned out very nice, glad to see it getting used properly too! Nice video!

Last edited by Natedog; 08-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote

Kamaz Inspired Dakar Build - The Tekin K55 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kamaz 6x6 G6 build Noll11 Multi Axle Rigs 1 04-28-2016 06:05 PM
My Dakar truck build 6x6 rampking Multi Axle Rigs 1 05-19-2015 02:48 PM
Testing cc01 Dakar build Rivas Concepts Videos! 7 02-17-2012 09:21 PM