Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: The BroGozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2023, 07:21 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The BroGozer

I just found the Deisel Brothers show. Never even heard of it, found it on Discovery+. OK show, there are some very interesting trucks on there. The Brodozer got my attention, absolutely bad ass truck. I understand it was a Monster Jam truck for a while, but I'm not there in the show yet - It's still a big ass Ford build.

I just clued in that the JConcepts Gozer was based off the truck, I picked one up w while ago for my C-maxx and it's an interesting body, but "Gozer?" Now it all makes sense... So I picked up another Gozer body in 12.5 flavor, a cheap SCX10 chassis lift, and decided to build my own Brodozer ... or a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Building this up on the cheap, so I plan to use what I have laying around as much as possible. My old G6 Enduro truck will do far a base. It fell apart all over the workbench.

Stripped to the frame, and side plates added. I could have made them I guess, but they were all of $12.

I have a ton of Wheely King axles laying around, I initially started mocking up the chassis using these axles. The body is big, and I wanted a nice, big stance. 180mm scale axles looked way too wimpy under the body, the WK axles are a fair bit wider.

Quick mock up using some SCX10 324mm WB links...

Threw the body on and I think the axles could work with the right offset, but I'm thinking wider is better here.

AR60's? Yup, that's much better. My poor Wraith got torn to pieces and will get the old SCX axles transferred over.

AR60's mocked up... This suspension geometry is not going to work at all. Time for some changes!

I did have to buy a transmission - Picked up a cheap alloy one, and didn't realize it was counter rotating. Thankfully I switched over to the AR60's, so I can just flip the ring gear in the back axle.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2023, 07:38 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The BroGozer

Fast forward a week...

Got a lot done. Doesn't look too much different, but it was a ton of work. Flipped the axles so the pumpkin was on the other side to line up with the trans outputs, took off the side plates and drilled some new upper link mounts, and spent forever getting the links right. It's finally in the ballpark! WB is just shy of 13"

Chopped off the panhard mount since I'll be SOA front and rear. Axles are already pretty built - OD/UD, beef tubes, and some brass up front. Definitely will start life on the trail, though the option is there for open diffs if I want to go that route later. Started with some Capra shocks for now, though that's subject to change.

Trans mounted, and decided to try out belt drive. I tried it on 3 volts to test it out and it's dead nuts quiet. Interesting. Curious to see how it holds up.

Rear axle will be helping with the steering... had to order some uni's though.

Mocked up with the body and tires, some RC4WD 2.2's ... exactly the stance I was looking for.

And that's where it sits. Had to order some odds and ends, AR60 universals, foams, and bit the bullet and picked up some new wheels. I don't have a lot of 2.2's. Just waiting for everything to arrive.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This looks like a blast to drive!
Bigger and Badder!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:03 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I dig it already. Unique as usual, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Paitently waiting on the belt trans results. I may try one with GT2 pulleys, as you can create different ratios.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Patiently waiting as well. The "budget build" got pricey pretty quick. Wheels, roof rack, and shocks are here, still waiting on foams, CVD's and a new motor.

I think the 2.2's are going to put that belt drive to the test. I think it'll hold up though. Guess we'll see!
Old 08-14-2023, 09:02 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

while I was out camping, parts started rolling in for the BroGozer..

I picked up some cheap Injora 110mm shocks in blue since the 1:1 runs blue Kings. They were supposed to be blue and silver, but I received all blue. It's ok, they pretty much look the part and seem to hold oil so far, we'll see how they do long term. The springs are a bit stiff, I might experiment once I get the chassis finished with some other springs. Also picked up a Gearhead rack for the body, it fits the roof perfectly.

....and a bunch of stuff showed up while camping. Servos, CVD's, motor, tire foams, and wheels. Fun story, when I was 18 I was working at Pizza Hut and they were about to recycle some old large thin crust pans. I took about 12 of them thinking it was cheap metal for fabricating RC parts. They ended up being way too soft for anything structural, but for odds and ends they came in handy. I cannot believe that nearly 30 years later, I am still cutting little bits and pieces out of these old pans. I'm down to my last little bit - I should have taken 2 dozen, I would have been set for life!

So anyway, an old thin crust pan became my battery tray. Set to fit a 1500mah pack, it tucks down in the chassis about as low as I can get it. I got a bit creative in the back - I used a rod end and a really long screw and mounted it to the transmission. worked out very well!

Standing on its own - rear axle is finally complete, shocks are in, battery tray fabbed, and I made a small plate for electronics behind the transmission. I added a few more standoffs to brace up the chassis also.

Wheels are tires are assembled, but not pictured. I installed 136 screws yesterday while watching that incredibly boring Indy road course race, and then fell asleep. My fingers are a bit sore today! ...and that's as far as I got. Have to dig out some hexes and get them mounted up.

Last edited by OSRC; 08-14-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Finally standing on all 4 tires. There's tons of options for military wheels in 1.9, but very little in 2.2. So I used some modeller license and picked up some 2.2 beadlocks with a yellow accent. They are deep dish wheels so I swapped on some .225 hubs that I first drilled out and re-tapped with 3mm threads. The tires are spot on, so there's that. Tires are stuffed with PL XL foams, I tried some CI foams I had here, but these tires are enormous and the foams didn't fill the tire.

Sitting tall! Definitely need to change out the springs.

Stance is spot on to my eyes, glad I went with the AR60's

Just a bit of rub up front in full stuff, the rear has tons of clearance due to the taper of the body

Electronics are in, Usual stuff, 1080 and a 5 pole. Its a bit ugly, but then so are most of my rigs.

Buster approves (Named after the test dummy in Mythbusters) I think he's part tiger, this cat has the largest claws I've ever seen. He's 20lbs of pain in the ass, and only 14 months old. When he decides to sit somewhere, that's where he's going to sit.

I drove around the basement, and the belt drive is whisper quiet. Having said that, it's quite a high ratio with the bigger tires on. I think I'll have to swap back to gear drive. :( The belts will for sure get a home somewhere.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:14 AM   #10
RCC Addict

The look on Buster's face says, "If you try to move me, I'll scratch your fvcking eyes out!"

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

HA! He's already got some claws out... He and his sister both have those bright yellow tiger eyes. Mom is a purebred Bombay, dad was apparently a zoo tiger.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:10 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
HA! dad was apparently a zoo tiger.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2023, 06:45 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Got some paint on... total fail. 3 coats of a custom yellow orange mix, then a backing coat of orange, and then 24 hours later backed with black. The black still bled through! Turned the yellow lighter with some striping. Not pleased at all. I used to use Fascoat to seal in the lighter colors, but some Fascolor is gone, I've got to find a new alternative.

Still, got the body mounted, rack on, and a bumper mounted. Pretty pissed about the paint, but overall I like it. It's definitely got some stance to it! Just a couple of odds and ends and ready to go play.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:15 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Default The BroGozer

Fascolor was my go to flawlessly for years. The Proline is close, but erratically different bottle to bottle, Createx seems more consistent. All have a learning curve, slightly different. That said I think it looks like the bomb

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:37 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Cool looking truck! What did the wheelbase end up being?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2023, 08:45 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Fascolor was my go to flawlessly for years. The Proline is close, but erratically different bottle to bottle, Createx seems more consistent. All have a learning curve, slightly different.
I agree 100%! Fascolor was the bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Cool looking truck! What did the wheelbase end up being?
Just shy of 13"
Old 08-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk