Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Spare Parts Wroncho Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spare Parts Wroncho Build

I've been having fun with my TRX-4's and what not, but it's been a while since I've done a good old fashioned parts build. What's the point of hoarding a basement full of RC parts if you don't do something with them every now and again?

After seeing Dezfan's Enduro, I loved the look of the JConcepts body. Thought it would make a killer crawler/mega truck/beast mode body... and it was fairly narrow so it would work with AR60's....of which I had a set or two laying around. Hmm... Got a lot of 2.2's on the shelf doing nothing too... Hmmm...

So I ordered one. For $51, I have to say I am extremely underwhelmed. Somewhat smallish generic body with generic decals and paper thin lexan? Really? If this body was $20 less, my ass wouldn't be nearly as sore. I like the design, but otherwise very disappointed. My Slash body I got from them was larger, cheaper, and sturdier. Anyway, cut it out and put the AR60's under it. Yup, I like it!!

Initially I planned a custom chassis...and this is as far as I got. Not very...

But then I dug though my Axial box and found pretty much an entire SCX10 chassis in aluminum bits. So I decided to just run with it... Through the magic of the interwebs, it's here in all it's glory! Left out was hours of digging through links, hardware, and all the random bits and bobs that go into putting a chassis together from random parts.

The chassis is from an Integy trail roller I got in a trade. (and the trans actually) The chassis itself is garbage - even for Integy standards...it's aluminum and light, which is good, but it's as flexible as a Russian ballerina - not so good. Pretty sure it's already bent in bad ways, but it's what I had so started bolting stuff to it. All the chassis span parts except the skid are aluminum which helps stiffen things up, but I'll be replacing the chassis rails with something better ASAP.

Shock towers are really nice - lots of shock mounting options, which comes in handy when stuffing AR 60's under an SCX10 chassis.

The axles themselves are pretty well appointed. OD/UD, beef tubes, brass knuckles, FI lockers. Should be more than up to the task!

Shocks are stock SCX10 for now - had a new set laying around for something, I forget what. I'm sure I'll remember in a day or two. I'll sort out oil and springs later, just mocking up at this point.

Had to use turnbuckles for front upper links (actually works out pretty well - driveshaft clearance and easily adjusted pinion angle...win/win) but managed to dig out enough links to get it in the 13" WB ballpark. Nothing matches - pretty sure I have SSD, Axial, HR, RC4WD, and Associated all represented just in the links - but who cares. Axles are attached and square! Good enough!

I'd like it to sit a bit lower, but the offset pumpkins put the kibosh on that. I was going to do CMS up front, but that really didn't play well with the chassis so I found an axle servo mount and decided to go that route. About as low as it's going to get. Great breakover though!

Dropped on the tissue paper body to see how I like it....turns out a lot! Has a pretty badass stance imo. Wheels are TBD, have a few options I'd like to try out, but the TSL's are staying for sure.

Time for some more digging...I have most of a transmission laying here, and some other odds and ends. I even dug up some stuff I totally forgot about. It's like Christmas in August!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Spare Parts Wroncho Build

Looking good, nothing more satisfying then building an entire rig with mostly spares and leftovers.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I've been putting off a wroncho build forever. I turned my wraith into a monster truck using the strc aluminum chassis conversion kit, but then never ran the truck. So I decided to just throw my 2.2s onto said chassis. The chassis is stiff as hell, but it crawls like poo. This has inspired me to pick up some SCX10 rails and build one.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you need a flexible chassis, I'd be glad to send this one along...

Moving right along...

Had a Holmes 45t motor sitting here that I ordered by mistake for my TRX4. May as well put it to good use! Newest and shiniest part!

Got the transmission and driveshafts in. Very funky layout, though thankfully there's no binding. Trans outputs have to be on the opposite side of the axle or the shafts hit the upper links. Have to say I really like Wild Boars...they've held up well for me and are easily trimmed or sized to just about any project. I do like the older style though simply as they are a bit smaller. I tend to mix and match old and new parts as needed.

Aluminum trans case, steel gears inside. Super smooth and plenty strong. I shaved the threads on the input shaft at some point for some reason, and now I can't fit a slipper spring so I used a compression washer and a nut... should slip only when bound up, and only a little. In theory of course... in reality, it basically eliminated the slipper.

I must have made this simple battery tray a while ago out of 2mm aluminum. Good to get started, though it's a bit heavier and bigger than it needs to be. I used to run 4-5k packs for long trail runs, though I've moved over to smaller 2200 packs as of late. Not sure if I'll trim it down or what.

I always test out the drivetrain with 3v just to check for any issues. Found the rear axle rotated the wrong way.... must have used the wrong one from my 2 pairs of AR60's. Dug out the other rear and swapped them over. Much easier than flipping the gears inside, and they are both spec'd out the same.

Got the steering links sorted out. What a pain! Would have rather used stock AR60 knuckles as the high steer really limits travel with the SCX10 chassis. I think I've got enough flex baked in that it won't be too much of a problem, though I won't really know until I test run.

Got the wheels and tires sorted - going with an older set of RC4WD wheels for now as they clear the front knuckles (the Gearheads did not, the internal beadlock screws rubbed) and keep the offset pretty reasonable. TSL's have PL's old memory foam dual stage foams for 4.5-5" tires up front and CI Single stages in the rear. Found this to be a pretty good combo. Turns out the loose servo lead makes a great cat toy, my little guy was driving me nuts!
Old 08-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #5
RCC Addict

He just wants to help. LOL!

Old 08-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yet another "Mutt" build-up in the 2.2" section - definitely cool...

Wondering if a couple internally-threaded aluminum rods placed strategically across the chassis rails might serve to stiffen things up for ya?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Spent a lot of time on the Wroncho, and in the end, didn't get much done. Was one of those kind of days...

Found an SSD Deadbolt bumper in my stash, and bolted it in the back. Not sure I like the look, but it protects the rear of the body so it'll stay for now.

Up front, a big old stinger fits this build perfect. Had this one in the pile - Scalerfab or Wertymade, I don't remember. But it looks great!

Here's where I had massive fail...I'm not great at brazing, but figured this was simple enough. Found some RC4WD sliders, but they were super wide compared to the body. So I cut the ends off, trimmed them a bit and re-shaped them to fit the body.

All was going well, if you call having a ton of trouble with the flux, burning the heck out my leg, and almost burning down my workbench going well. Realized I brazed one of them backwards so I fixed it and got here... Not bad, right? Sadly, it took almost 3 hours to get here.

Then broke out the flapwheel, cleaned them up and painted them. Went to mount them and realize I "fixed" the correct one, so now I have 2 that are brazed backwards. Each with 2 lovingly applied coats of satin black. 4 hours total. So now I have to strip them down cut them up, and re-do them the right way. Basically start over.

Frustrated with myself, I had to walk away for a bit and decided to finish up a project I've had laying around for years - my Lego crawler. I lost the decals along the way, but with some help from the girls I got it finally finished!

Flex shot..

And yes, it actually has portal axles! Pretty cool how it all goes together.

Consider that a minor win... So at least I've got that going for me which is nice.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

A (painfully)honest and entertaining report of the type of bad day we all have, once in a while...

Although I'd be happy to end up being able to braze anything at all, and to have the creativity to create such a Lego BEAST!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Lego crawler was a kit, I just followed directions. NO way I could design that myself.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Each build I see using that body I'm liking it more and more, I just don't think I can stomach paying the price for it when that same money will get me a proline powerwagon.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Even though you had a setback, your Wroncho build is looking phenomenal! Good thing you had your Lego Crawler as a destresser! As Durok stated, we've all had a bad day.
mv1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'm in the early is stages for my wroncho as well and was considering using the same body but I'm wondering how much room there is from the framerails to the outer edge of the body? It looks narrow... I was contemplating using the sliders I make as my electronics tray and battery tray. How much room would you say there is?
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Approx 30mm per side, little less in front and a bit more out back due to the taper of the body.

Unfortunately, this build is done for now. Just too many drive shaft issues with the ar60 axles. I've swapped on some others and will start another thread eventually
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The Wroncho lives on! I'm not sure its technically a Wroncho anymore since the Wraith axles are gone, but I'm sticking with 2.2's and too lazy to start another thread.

Couldn't work out the driveshaft issues without spending some $$, and this is a spare parts build so the AR60's came off. Also robbed the WP1080 for my Capra since I smoked that ESC, and the trans was robbed for another project so it's in a bit of a sad state.

No matter, still lots of spare parts laying around. Had this pair of XR width axles on my 1.9 Wraith so I stole them for now....

Set up pretty nice internally...OD/UD and FI lockers. Took them apart to check them out...all was well, just re-greased and bolted them back together. Found an axle mount for the servo in my parts bin.

Axles are still pretty wide, I'm thinking they'll be ok with 2.2's.

Made a trade recently for an SMT, and it had this trans inside of it. Have some other plans for the transmission, so this came out.

Opened it up to check it out...aside from a TON of grease, it's very well built and in great shape. Full metal, should hold up fine.

Cleaned, relubed the bearings, and rebuilt. Spins like butter. Frankly I love these old 3 gear transmissions. Built right, they are tough, quiet and very strong.

Mounted back in the chassis. Thought I was going to have to buy some driveshafts, but found an old mystery steel shaft and an old 'pede shaft. They'll do! Tested out the driveline with some low voltage and it all spins nice and smooth.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

With the driveline now back in place and spinning smooth, time to sort out wheels and tires. Decided on some old CAC (Now Gearhead) 2.2's I've had since forever. These wheels really do mount to any tire. Paired up with an old set of Losi Rock Carvers with 2-stage foam. Found an AE-5 ESC in my stash and got that wired up. Mounted a small battery tray and it's a runner!

COG is pretty good! Has no trouble sitting sideways. Very stable.

Only thing I don't like is to get the castor angle I want, the front driveshaft angle is a bit wonky. Kinda goes with the territory with the V1 axles. Used turnbuckles on the uppers for quick adjustment. Might have to fine tune this a bit.

And a few posers with the body. Doesn't quite have the stance it did with the AR60's, but still looks pretty decent. Off to the paint booth!

Oh and eventually I'll get around to fixing that spring....I have no idea how I did it, but one of the 2 stage setups in the front is upside-down. Now that I noticed, it, I can't unsee it.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Got some paint on the old girl, think this one's about done...

Had a bunch of fancy ideas, but in the end I just went my favorite simple blue. I'm almost out of fascolor blue, and supplies are really drying up...been using it for years. Not sure how many more are coming out of the basement with this color. :(

Dressed it up with some vintage decals here and there and called it good. Really like the way it came out, has a nice mean stance.

Weighs in at 7lbs exactly with battery, 54.5/45.5 front bias. Should do just fine out on the trail.

Excellent breakover and approach angle. No panhard means that front axle can be pushed out pretty far.

Very happy with it for just being stuff I had laying around. Came together pretty nice! Can't wait to get out and shake it down.

I have a lot of other stuff laying around... in the meantime, time to hash together something else.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That came out really nice!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I like this build a lot. It looks great! Are you using a scx10 skid?

Last edited by MaX-D; 09-12-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yes, SCX10 skid. (V1 of course)
Old 10-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
RCC Addict

What did your wheelbase ultimately end up being?

Spare Parts Wroncho Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A spare parts build. phillysteak33 Redcat Crawlers 5 10-29-2018 08:33 PM
Spare parts wroncho dittohead Axial SCX-10 6 06-11-2017 11:01 PM
Wroncho build parts question?? MaX-D Axial SCX-10 6 08-06-2015 01:18 AM
Spare parts build.... ddiaz10240 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 08-26-2008 11:30 PM