Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2021, 01:06 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

Default Re: RBX10, RYFT, Scale Rock Bouncer

Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

JEC Racing has Ryft trailing arms listed as upcoming - and his for the Bomber were of excellent quality - I have a set in both stainless and 7075 aluminum.

Looks like he's going to have both materials available, as well as the option for custom lengths for those wanting to experiment with the geometry a bit...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:14 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

Nice! I had a set JEC trailing arms on my SMT10
Old 03-25-2021, 05:43 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Well, peeps..

After a swaybar, a Losi LMT servo saver seems to be the second "must have". The difference is astounding! The stock 15kg servo has much more authority that I initially gave it credit for. AVC works too. No more 'death wobble'

Shame that little LMT-trinket is rather pricey. If I were Axial, |I'd include it in the Ryft V2, or something. After all there are already some Losi parts in The Ryft. One extra servo saver wouldn't be too much of a problem, me thinks.

However.. given the reality of the beancounters that apparently have a bit too much influence at Axial.. well.. we can wholly forget about it, I am afraid. *sigh* € 22.- EXTRA expenses it is then, just to get the thing to properly steer.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Luckily I got mine off my LMT Roller, it anyone in the UK is after one give me a shout
Old 03-27-2021, 09:26 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

The upgrade path of this rig is starting, it seems.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Treal also said they have parts on the way
Old 03-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #69
Rock Crawler

Now here’s hoping they hurry up with the swaybars. Especially now I found out that people have been snapping-up the HotRacing Bomber sways. Out of stock about everywhere. Grmbll.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:40 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Crawler View Post
Treal also said they have parts on the way
:thumbsup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Now here’s hoping they hurry up with the swaybars. Especially now I found out that people have been snapping-up the HotRacing Bomber sways. Out of stock about everywhere. Grmbll.
My lhs owner was saying the Ryft sway bars are supposed to be in next month... hopefully in a couple weeks.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:55 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

I’ve ordered this cheapo sway bar kit off of eBay and some 3mm piano wire to make up a longer torsion bar

Old 03-30-2021, 08:57 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Maybe this will win for the dumb question of the day:

Starting with just the kit, do you think there is potential to work this into a crawler? Knowing that it will need to be regeared, lowered, ect - does this have the potential to be a 2.2 crawler, something like the Wraith Spawn, but with a bit more "ability.?" I ask this because I'm in a conundrum....

I have a Wraith Spawn that's pretty well upgraded with just about everything from Vanquish possible, along with beastly servo and AXE combo; runs like an absolute champ. I've been kicking around the idea of getting another 2.2 crawler for my son to join me. Got a used RC4WD Bully 2 as a "gift" ( guy was cleaning out his garage and it sat in a box for quite some time ), heavily beat down and wired by Ray Charles. It would need a massive overhaul and I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I have also thought about going G Speed and building from the ground up, but I really like the curb appeal of the Ryft. Do we think it's possible to rework that animal, or is it destine to only be a bouncer / basher?

s
SteveB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post

Starting with just the kit, do you think there is potential to work this into a crawler? Knowing that it will need to be regeared, lowered, ect - does this have the potential to be a 2.2 crawler, something like the Wraith Spawn, but with a bit more "ability.?" I ask this because I'm in a conundrum....

I have a Wraith Spawn that's pretty well upgraded with just about everything from Vanquish possible, along with beastly servo and AXE combo; runs like an absolute champ. I've been kicking around the idea of getting another 2.2 crawler for my son to join me. Got a used RC4WD Bully 2 as a "gift" ( guy was cleaning out his garage and it sat in a box for quite some time ), heavily beat down and wired by Ray Charles. It would need a massive overhaul and I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I have also thought about going G Speed and building from the ground up, but I really like the curb appeal of the Ryft. Do we think it's possible to rework that animal, or is it destine to only be a bouncer / basher?

s
This was my original intention when I preordered the RTR. I figured it'd be a piece of cake to make this thing a cool crawler. I threw a Mamba X and ROC412HD in it with a 13t pinion and drove it around my living room. I wasn't impressed at all. This, of course, is still using the "high" gear in the transmission. Seeing all the other issues people have had with them, and the just sucky way it drives now, I have lost pretty much all interest in it and am trying to sell it so someone that wants it for what it is - which is not a crawler. Starting with a kit in a few months will probably have a lot more options to make it whatever you want, but I'm done with the thing.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:23 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB1 View Post

s

Expectations vs Reality...

The Ryft is not a crawler.
With enough money anything is possible.
In this situation you describe, I would get another Spawn and upgrade things as they break for your son.
The mods to turn it into a decent crawler would be locking the axles and center diffs, and replacing all electronics Motor\esc, servo, Rx. Edit: oh and gearing it down A LOT!
Beyond that the link geometry looks good and the axles are more stout than ar60's the cage design is not crawler style and upper shock mounts are fixed esp in front. The biggest problem I have is the limited up travel in the front, which can be remedied by cutting up some plastic.

So it's really up to you, can you live with these limitations?

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 03-30-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys,

I see your points, and I can see the need to really pour money into the platform to make it what is is not designed to be. My experience so far has been getting the best results from kits, but as many have pointed out, the industry seems set on pushing RTR's at the moment.

Luckily I'm in no rush, so I will wait and see what evolves. Many thanks for your input.

s.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

I have torn apart my Ryft servo saver and found that it isn't total crap but suffers from 2 specific failures:

#1 - The outer spring is too short to adequately support this ear on the inner spring.

Without support from the outer spring, hits to the servo saver cause this ear to bend and eventually break off which causes even more play in the servo saver.

#2 - The spring quickly wears into the plastic on the servo side of the saver.

The more the spring wears into the plastic, the more slop the saver develops. If the previously mentioned tab has broken off already, the sharp edge caused by the break will help dig in even faster.

If Axial made the ends of the outer spring about 1mm longer per side and there was an option for an aluminum side of the saver, then it would be completely viable as a permanent steering component. But since that isn't likely to happen, then into the trash it goes.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:40 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

The servosaver is no better than the Tamiya ‘high torque’ that’s based on tne same system of springs. Terrible design. I kéep saying this : Get the Losi LMT servosaver. That seems to be the only one that properly functions without wear and breakage. Heck. The bearings in the Ryft áre already Losi parts..

Some people tried the humble white Teaxxas servosaver. That kinda works, but snaps a bit too easily.

Again, that servosaver. Another bit of proof that the beancounters had the last word. It’s all Horizon now, Axial, Losi, Vaterra. They cóuld just as easy have included the Losi LMT servosaver... but nooo the severance packages of the higher-up at Horizon were more important than delivering a good, sturdy and dependable product.. As it always is. So, to save a few pennies, crappy materials we got, as customers. What the frack is going on? The formerly crappy products from many vague chinese companies get better by the week ( WPL) while “American” products are getting crappier and crappier.. ( despite being made in probably the same chinese factories) Well. I guess It’s what You get when shareholders become more important than customers.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 04-14-2021 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Sway bar sorted!

Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Also made a quick vid talking about the upgrades I’ve made so far

https://youtu.be/KEJ75SnVGRE
Old 04-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Are there any gearing options that fit this platform, or are they unique to the Ryft?

I'm not ready to let go of the crawler idea. I think if the gearing can get sorted, the rest can be worked out.

Waiting for news on when the kit to be released.

s

RBX10, RYFT, Scale Rock Bouncer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RBX10 Ryft josh9mile General Crawlers 12 07-06-2021 09:33 PM
Scale Rock Bouncer Must See Rivas Concepts Scale Videos! 1 04-29-2015 09:35 PM
Fat Girl 2.2 scale rock bouncer ecoli 2.2 Scale Rigs 350 08-24-2013 08:21 AM