Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Flat Rail Chassis F350 2.2 Wraith Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Flat Rail Chassis F350 2.2 Wraith Build

I recently finished building my flat rail 2.2 wraith. My first ground up build. I'm pleased with it's performance so far, so I'm comfortable sharing!

Parts List:

BP Customs Gen 5 (Wraith 2.2) steel chassis.
KYX AR60 metal axles
Incision stainless links
110mm Desert Lizard front shocks
120mm Desert Lizard rear shocks
Amazon aluminum Wraith skid
Vanquish 3 gear trans
Vanquish dig
Incision SCX10 II driveshafts
Mamba X esc
Castle 2850kv 1406 motor w/ 9t pinion
Protek 370tbl steering servo
Vanquish servo-on-axle mount
Supershafty SOA servo armor
Protek 160ss low profile dig servo
Tattu 5200 4s batteries
Gearhead 2.2 EZ-loc delrin beadlocks
Pit Bull Rock Beast II Tires - Alien Snot compound
Pitbull dual stage foams
Tamiya F350 cab/windows/grill

The body was supposed to be temporary for testing, but it's grown on me. I even added the grill. I got all the tools/materials to start experimenting with brazing up a front bumper. If that goes well, I'll move onto some kind of rear cage/flatbed. I don't care too much about what it looks like, though.

I calmed down the 2850kv motor on 4s as far as I could with a 9t pinion. It crawls slow and smooth, but it's got plenty of wheel speed to bash around a bit. It's super fun to drive, but it's eaten a couple front axle shafts while giving it hell.

As far as suspension, It's almost full droop. I have the longer desert lizard springs under the plunger of the shock (think pen spring mod on steroids). It stays low and climbs/sidehills like a champ, even though it's over 9lbs with the battery. As soon as a wheel finds uneven ground, there's enough leverage to compress the springs and it's got plenty of articulation when it needs it.

Here's a couple videos a friend took a few weeks ago on it's first time out (assuming I correctly figured out how to upload to YouTube this evening). I didn't take many pictures of the progress, but I'll attach a few of what I have.

Attached Images

DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Flat Rail Chassis F350 2.2 Wraith Build

Damn, I am LOVIN' that thing!

You're making me feel bad, still have my Xtreme Racing flat-rail carbon fiber Bomber chassis waiting for me to bolt on my SSD AR60 Diamond axles and Hot Racing aluminum skid and trans housing...

The body I have for it it HUGE, tho' - I think it's big enough to actually tuck the tires all the way under the fenders under full suspension compression.

More like a 1/8th scale truck.

Again - MAJOR props on your unique take on this - VERY aggressive stance!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Damn, I am LOVIN' that thing!

You're making me feel bad, still have my Xtreme Racing flat-rail carbon fiber Bomber chassis waiting for me to bolt on my SSD AR60 Diamond axles and Hot Racing aluminum skid and trans housing...

The body I have for it it HUGE, tho' - I think it's big enough to actually tuck the tires all the way under the fenders under full suspension compression.

More like a 1/8th scale truck.

Again - MAJOR props on your unique take on this - VERY aggressive stance!

Thanks!

I think the ssd front housing is in my near future if I can't adjust my driving style to stop breaking axle shafts. These KYX axles are identical to ar60's, but they use ar44 differentials, so I can only use KYX shafts. I learned that after ordering underdrive ar60 gears for the rear. They make hardened steel shafts which take quite a bit of abuse, but it takes 3 weeks to get replacements from china. If I want to use the big incision shafts, which I already bought and can't use, I'm gonna have to get a real ar60 housing. The rear has held up fine so far.

I'm looking forward to following your flat rail bomber build when you get started!
Old 08-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

My friend just sent me this video from last weekend way out in the Los padres national forest. Doesn't really do it justice, but the pine trees help with reference. That was a tough climb. Only one guy could crawl it with his comp rig. I was too heavy to crawl it, but finally made it after at least 10 tries with lots of throttle. Each previous attempt resulted in tumbling all the way down the rock face. No damage besides rock rash on the hardbody.

Old 08-28-2021, 04:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks like a solid performer!

Below is a shot from the manufacturer of the Xtreme Racing chassis with stock RR10 parts bolted to it:

I've had this project on the back burner for a few years now, at some point I really need to get off my lazy ass.

I'll probably run a transverse battery tray up front, same basic layout as yours.

I have a full set of oversized stainless links and trailing arms, it should be a pretty low COG build, except the body will be heavy because it's so big.

My other Bomber is a hefty pig, but has basically every part replaced with upgrades except for the cage and skid:
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice! What's the body? Or are you keeping it a secret?... haha.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I'd really like to see this thing in person next time you're up my way. I've been procrastinating a chassis swap (BPC Bomber... or more recently considering using my stock Capra chassis) on my Wraith for a couple years now as I just don't know if there would truly be a tangible difference in performance, everything but the chassis' being equal. Frame rails and a short course body seems like it'd be fun just because it'd be huge and different, but then throw a small/narrow body on for the days when you want to hit the stupid lines.

Your's turned out pretty sweet, kudos for getting after it!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:13 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I'd really like to see this thing in person next time you're up my way. I've been procrastinating a chassis swap (BPC Bomber... or more recently considering using my stock Capra chassis) on my Wraith for a couple years now as I just don't know if there would truly be a tangible difference in performance, everything but the chassis' being equal. Frame rails and a short course body seems like it'd be fun just because it'd be huge and different, but then throw a small/narrow body on for the days when you want to hit the stupid lines.

Your's turned out pretty sweet, kudos for getting after it!
Thanks!

I don't have any plans to head north right away, but when I do I'll let you know. I'll definitely let you take it for a spin through your rock garden!

Last edited by DRED805; 08-29-2021 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
Nice! What's the body? Or are you keeping it a secret?... haha.
12" wide, big ol' thing - probably will paint it either a military color like OD green or desert khaki, or just black - and then matte clear over the outside - make it look like a military command car converted to a sorta mud-truck beast - and may end up cutting the fenders a little, or a lot, or ALL the way off - also, will likely be using side-mounts for the body (from Pro-line) - but, like I said - this project is way on the back burner. I've had all the parts for many years now:

Last edited by durok; 08-29-2021 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Nice!

I'm using flush hubs to suck the wheels in for as narrow width as possible. Outside of tire to outside of tire is right at 12 inches. If you do the same, you might be able to tuck the tires in the wheel wells during flex with minimal trimming.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Thanks!

Yeah, stock Bomber width is only 11", and I have a selection of 2.2" wheels and tires to try whenever I get around to it...
Old 09-11-2021, 01:52 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Hopefully Vanquish axles will fix my axle snapping issues! Picked up a barely used set for much cheaper than building my own. The differential is gigantic and I hate the red parts, but the drivetrain is now all vanquish (except for a temporary ssd rear driveshaft). Time to go try to break stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by DRED805; 09-11-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:55 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Mmm... Nice and BURLY!
Old 09-12-2021, 09:38 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRED805 View Post
way out in the Los padres national forest.
uhhh nuts lol
i havent been out there in 20 years i spent alot of time out there in the 80s and 90s we hung out at the end of the road by a creek at some point in time they made a campground out of it and put in toilets and picknick tables

now they call it nira campground

it was a huge party spot for the ucsb kids cause it is so far outhere the cops never came out and it was a 3 hour drive to the neerest phone so its not like other people camping were gona call on you lol

https://goo.gl/maps/urQd1dkAC8S7EGy16

Last edited by ferp420; 09-12-2021 at 12:47 PM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I pinched/cropped the rear of the chassis this morning, and added light bars (rock lights) for Proline by the Fire tonight! I think I like it. Still working on a plan to cover up my electronics... haha.
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I really like how the pinched rails turned out, whoever thought of that is a genious Seriously though, since BPC discontinued their Bomber chassis (with moveable shock towers and chassis narrowed to 70mm after the skid) this might be the next best thing for those of us still stubborn enough to run a ginormous Wraith or Bomber skid. I don't think my carbon fiber chassis is going to have any advantage over your new setup, and mine definitely feels more fragile.

Have fun at PLBTF and if you run into the other 805 RC Crawler guys (I know Eddie will be there), tell them I said hey!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

This truck has been way too reliable since I put that vanquish front end in it... Time to start breaking stuff again!

Swapping in a 2400kv 1415 (70mm) motor.

I had to cut off the rear upper link mounts, and make a 1/8" trans spacer to clear the lower link under the motor. The uppers are mounted in single shear straight to the chassis rails. Not as strong as I'd like, but it'll work.

I ordered an RS100 micro servo from NSDRC and a Dig Micro Servo Mount from Small-Time Hobbies. That should get the dig working again, since there's a long ass motor where the dig servo should be.

I added some IERC strength/bling to the pinched rear while I was at it.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Let’s see some updates homie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Flat Rail Chassis F350 2.2 Wraith Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~TSS~ WRX10 Chassis Rail Build: Class 2 Legal 1.9 STANG KILLA SS Axial Wraith 28 03-14-2019 09:56 AM
CDW chassis rail build DeadlySwan Team Losi Comp Crawler 36 08-08-2013 05:08 PM
Sand rail build pistolpete1982 Non Crawler RC's 1 06-24-2013 06:19 AM
Lemon Lime F350 build- baja beater F350 build Joe$ 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 02-17-2013 12:46 AM