Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Axial ryft loosing bind?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Duxus Axial ryft problems

Just got my ryft today and was tearing up the snow around here, which it does a great job of that. I'm really impressed so far, wasn't sure I was going to like the open diffs, but I'm sure it saved me from rolling over a few times. I have a somewhat built bomber and this ryft is the next step up to it.

But anyway I had just put my 3rd pack in and turned it on, got the 3 cell chime and then the arming chime. But nothing happens, no throttle or steering. Tried unplugging the battery for a few, turned off the transmitter with the same result.

I didn't plan on keeping the stock radio gear in forever, but if I have to tear it apart to rebind I'm just going to toss one of my receivers in.

Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by Druxus; 03-14-2021 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Changed title to reflect the way the thread is going
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial ryft loosing bind?

Did you let it sit still?

Mine did something similar, it seems the gyro needs to activate, and I was jostling mine around. Finally I set it on its wheels and let it sit for 5 sec or so before it finally came alive.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So when I got home from work I tried it again. I let it sit and it took 9 seconds of sitting on the bench to start working. I guess I got impatient but the first 2 packs worked right away so I'm not really sure why it took so long now.
Old 03-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Took the ryft out after I got the kids off to school and after putting in the second pack it did it again. I let it sit for 2 minutes and didn't work, now pissed I walk the half mile back to the house put it on the bench and decide to try it again and it instantly works ... wtf.

So I pulled all the electronics, even though I swore to myself I was going to leave it stock. Put in a Mamba X, a LRP 10L sensored motor and my own receiver. The motor is a 2400kv so just a bit faster but the start-up is so much better. You can walk/trail better with it now. Looking online the motor is 70mm long and it fit no problem even with the sensor cord in the back.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Mine did the same.

The TX/RX set is absolute crap. Put it in a simple basher buggy with the bind button directly on top. Had to rebind several times during driving. Switch it off to get something out of my pocket... unbound. Switch it off to get it home again.. switch on.. unbound.. grdarnit! Added to that it doesn’t like analog servo’s. They start buzzing like mad on 0% AVC. What a load of garbage this Spektrum ‘smart’ set is. My word! Put in an older Spektrum with AVC.. Hey presto! No binding trouble at all. Still works fine, old as it is.

All in all I’m more and more convinced one should steer clear of the RTR, and wait for the kit. Stupid me, impatient, am paying the price. It NEEDS swaybars, it needs a far better transmitter/receiver, it needs a sensored motor. Base car is fine upto now. Didn’t have the dreaded axle-breaking yet ( knock on wood) but the driving package?? Ugh!

Did Horizon put-in rejects or something? Because they were cheap in bulk?
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
Donkey Punch Champion!

Guys, you need to let everything "talk" to each other. Same thing I thought, WTF.

Here is what I did and showed to my 7 year old. If he can, you can too.

Now I KNOW you are supposed to turn on Radio first, but that didn't work right and seemed to delay the "talking" of the Spektrum stuff.

Turn ON the Buggy. (count to 5)
Turn ON the radio. (count to 5)

BAM...It works! Pro tip from a newbie.

Oh, and I broke the front axle on the 1st pack on 4s. I will continue to run only 3s in stock form.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaller View Post
Guys, you need to let everything "talk" to each other. Same thing I thought, WTF.

Here is what I did and showed to my 7 year old. If he can, you can too.

Now I KNOW you are supposed to turn on Radio first, but that didn't work right and seemed to delay the "talking" of the Spektrum stuff.

Turn ON the Buggy. (count to 5)
Turn ON the radio. (count to 5)

BAM...It works! Pro tip from a newbie.

Oh, and I broke the front axle on the 1st pack on 4s. I will continue to run only 3s in stock form.
Well if this set up makes me wait 2+ minutes some times before deciding to work you can keep it. I'm sick of doing the walk of shame twice in 3 days over a radio issue. My noble starts up right away, it doesn't need to try and figure out how to talk to the receiver.

The ecs and motor seem nice, but they aren't sensored. I guess iv just gotten spoiled with smooth startups and better drive ability. The motor and esc will go into my 4x4 short course, so all is not a loss.

Last edited by Druxus; 03-13-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:58 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

^ That, sooo much that.

If I have to do waiting magic, and circus acts to get a TX/RX to bind, they can keep it. Way better options out there.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So I broke my front axle this morning on a trail run, motored up a small hill jumped it and landed on a small log. Looked really cool until I realized that I had broken my front axle. Went looking online and only found sold out every where I looked.

Had a spare AR60 sitting around so I thought I would see if it would fit. Well F-me running, it fit!! Had to adjust the link length a bit but it was really close at stock. It had stock gears in the ar60 and it gave it a underdrive in the front. Swapped out for some overdrive gears and it gives me a slight overdrive in the front axle. I did have to mount the shocks on the outside of the 4 link mount, so no more double shear.

And a bonus... if you take off the 3 screws that I have arrows to you can remove the receiver box without taking the whole thing apart, very handy.
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

My center diff started making some horrible noise and the rear axle was starting to lockup. Took both apart and found in both cases that the screws holding the diff together was loose. Tighten them up and they started working again. The screws used seem a bit short tho, maybe longer ones wouldn't back out?
Old 03-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Spektrum Sucks as bad as Traxxas 2025 servos. lol
The BEST Upgrade you can do to ANY RTR is dump the Radio steep. Especially if its a flunking Spetantrum junk.
Shit the TRX radio is better than the high dollar Spekys in my serious opinion.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #12

Default Re: Duxus Axial ryft problems

I personally don’t own a ryft, however my buddy got his, and watched him rebind it every time, from first start up and every time in between running. I felt bad for him, but I know his pain, I bought a wraith 1.9 that comes with a spektrum stx2 tx/rx. I had issues with that right out of the box. Horizon hobbies and spektrum have left a bad taste in my mouth. These rigs aren’t cheap. They need to step their game up when it comes to tx/rx. I love my wraith, but seeing my buddy deal with the same issues I had with my wraith, it’s all to familiar. The rtr blues. I don’t expect greatness, just simply functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beardsnbeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So I got ahold of Axial about my broken axle and they sent me what they said was the upgrade version of the axles front and rear free of charge. I was easy on the new set at first, but for the last week I have beaten the crap out of this thing with no breaks. Even smashing into a tree in the air after a jump at speed.

The next issue I'm seeing is the servo saver. I think it lets the front travel to much and will change your direction to easy and cause allot of instability. Was thinking about a promodler servo with the massive gears, but I'm not sure that it will survive some of the hits.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

For me the solution was the -somewhat pricey- Losi LMT servosaver. Far more sturdy. No more flopping about. AVC even works now.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Those LMT servo savers must be popular. I had a hard time finding one, finally found one in stock and ordered it. Then got a email the next day saying oops we won't have any until the end of April.

I also ordered a promodler servo and a aluminum arm for it just incase the servo saver didn't happen, glad it did. I just hope it can hold out until the LMT one shows up. For a much as I don't like that servo saver I know it's the reason that stock servo is still going. It's just so sloppy, and I can see it deflecting when going over ruts and bumps. It gets so loose/ wiggly I can't help but think that a different servo setup will help.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

As a testament to the new axle I got, i slammed into a tree at speed and broke a rod end. The axle shows no signs of any breakage. I even grabbed it and put pressure on it to see if anything would show up.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

As @Druxus noted, the new axle housings ( with a “Rev 1” sticker on the package) seem to be of a completely different plastic material.
The brittle first-gen sounds a bit like hardwood, or nylon when tapped on with a screwdriver, or something, while the rev1 sound a bit more dull. Added to that, when one scratches a bit of material off the first gen, it is usually a bit powdery, and brittle. The rev1 on the other hand, produces small PVC-like fibres. They also flex atiiiny bit at the servo bracket’s top. Contrary to the first gen. Those are hard as stone. No flex at all. Fine if it is machined aluminium, nòt fine when it is a plastic or resin.

So, in retrospect, there seems to have been a nice cock-up with the materials in the first iterations. Or someone tried a shortcut by implementing cheaper, inferior materials. Who knows. Let’s hope these axles hold-up. I stìll ordered an extra set. My confidence in them isn’t thàt high yet.

Update: Yup. They hold up. Slammed the Ryft into a rather solid soccer goal post at full tilt @3s, broke- or bent about every part surrounding it, including the swingarm ballends, but the axle housing was -apart from some scuff-marks- completely fine. Not even hair cracks. ( checked with a loupe.. I’m crazy like that.. )

Last edited by Jay-Em; 05-09-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Axial ryft loosing bind? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Siggy's Axial Racing RBX10 Ryft SMART Rock Bouncer Siggy 2.2 Scale Rigs 54 08-30-2021 06:36 AM
RBX10 Ryft josh9mile General Crawlers 12 07-06-2021 09:33 PM
MT Ryft TAT76 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 05-05-2021 07:30 AM
Axial Ryft vs. Bomber 2.0 SteveB1 General Crawlers 17 02-24-2021 08:16 AM
Newbie Help|Cant Bind Axial Ax-3/AR-3 bmiller14 Newbie General 9 07-08-2013 02:37 PM