Notices

Thread: There’s a Ryft forming in my basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: There’s a Ryft forming in my basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post

Received the hrb 4s 5200mah batteries from amazon. One pack has a dud cell so I’ve sent a message to see if they’ll remedy. This one is a beast standing backflips are nothing it’s OP yes but perfect for the hills this thing will be attacking. They fit perfectly in the battery tray. Tray dimensions for Anyone who’s interested is 140mm long 45mm wide 40mm tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From my experience, HRB has great customer service. Last year, in a order containing several packs, the 'positive' wow was missing some of the shielding...it, literally, looked as if someone has sliced some of the material away with a knife. They shipped me a replacement, and told me to dispose of the "problematic" battery.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
From my experience, HRB has great customer service. Last year, in a order containing several packs, the 'positive' wow was missing some of the shielding...it, literally, looked as if someone has sliced some of the material away with a knife. They shipped me a replacement, and told me to dispose of the "problematic" battery.

Thanks that’s good to hear! The problem pack will be closely monitored and promptly dealt with if it discharges poorly

RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #23

Lookin good, I have the same motor in my kit, looking forward to trying it out.
amheuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I got some decent footage out on the trail today. The truck is a blast! Took the rear diff out again and broke a m4 angled rod end(my fault I crashed out of control at like half throttle) it’s insanely fast but oh so controllable with the castle system. Torque for days. The kit sway bar definitely works wonders. I’m probably going to jb weld the diff internals in the rear. I like having the front open but I need to get lockers. This rig needs some hardened steel spools(not inserts for the diff case)https://youtu.be/DAZJY6P2u-Q
I was not out break it but I definitely didn’t baby it. I think it did well. It climbs great stays planted. It’s definitely bouncy

Old 06-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Well had the day off from work and the morning was cool so I took the Ryft out for its 2nd run. Diffs are completely busted. They absolutely CANNOT withstand even the lightest form of bouncing. These diffs are JUNK

Old 06-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well had the day off from work and the morning was cool so I took the Ryft out for its 2nd run. Diffs are completely busted. They absolutely CANNOT withstand even the lightest form of bouncing. These diffs are JUNK

Photos?

Old 06-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Photos?

I’ve got some gopro footage I’m uploading and editing which will be up later. I just had to vent as I’m rather displeased with the durability of this truck

Old 06-09-2021, 09:16 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’ve got some gopro footage I’m uploading and editing which will be up later. I just had to vent as I’m rather displeased with the durability of this truck

I meant, close-up photos of the damage...or, specifically, the damaged parts.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I meant, close-up photos of the damage...or, specifically, the damaged parts.

Oh ya I will get some pics once I get to tearing the axles down. It’s the differential gears. I’m going to clean up the silicone and fill the cases with jb weld.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh ya I will get some pics once I get to tearing the axles down. It’s the differential gears. I’m going to clean up the silicone and fill the cases with jb weld.

Would be a LOT smarter to use a locker. At least as that can be removed. Using JB Weld is a "permanent" solution...tho, I use the word 'solution' VERY lightly in this case. In other words, "don't do it"...be smarter, and use a locker.

Old 06-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Would be a LOT smarter to use a locker. At least as that can be removed. Using JB Weld is a "permanent" solution...tho, I use the word 'solution' VERY lightly in this case. In other words, "don't do it"...be smarter, and use a locker.

Currently there are 2 lockers available. The sintered axial that fits into the diff case. Or the vitavon from China for 42$ cad for hardened steel insert into the case. I’ll wait till proper lockers come out that bolt directly to the ring gear made of hardened steel. Neither option really has me going plus the wait time for shipping to canada. I’m going my route lol I definitely do not advise this route either. But it’s what I’ve got

Old 06-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Well this is how the ryft is sitting now…

Exploded differentials. As you can see from the shims the diffs are to tightly meshed. Out of the 3 diffs in the kit I now have one able to function if I mix and match parts. After 2 runs. Pathetic

Old 06-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I’ll wait till proper lockers come out that bolt directly to the ring gear made of hardened steel.
You are, of course, assuming that such a locker will be produced for sale. For solid axle RCs, I've seen very, very few of that design. The exception would be those made to fit the 'standard' (ie. AR44, AR60, etc) axles, probably because of the great number of vehicles those axles can be used on. The Ryft axles are definitely not 'standard', thus there's a much lower probability that someone will produce a "true locker" for sale.

Now, what I'm hoping for is either a slight OD gear set for the front and/or a slight UD gear set for the rear...nothing major...say, something in the 8-12% range. In other words, something to give the front just a lil extra "umph". For those who want to keep the vehicle 'fast', they could use one, or the other, depending on the kV of their motor. For those who want to use theirs as a crawler, they could install both, giving the front a 16-24% OD (depending on the actual OD & UD of the gear sets).

Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You are, of course, assuming that such a locker will be produced for sale. For solid axle RCs, I've seen very, very few of that design. The exception would be those made to fit the 'standard' (ie. AR44, AR60, etc) axles, probably because of the great number of vehicles those axles can be used on. The Ryft axles are definitely not 'standard', thus there's a much lower probability that someone will produce a "true locker" for sale.

Now, what I'm hoping for is either a slight OD gear set for the front and/or a slight UD gear set for the rear...nothing major...say, something in the 8-12% range. In other words, something to give the front just a lil extra "umph". For those who want to keep the vehicle 'fast', they could use one, or the other, depending on the kV of their motor. For those who want to use theirs as a crawler, they could install both, giving the front a 16-24% OD (depending on the actual OD & UD of the gear sets).

My thoughts are this
Knowing vanquish is designing parts Im positive lockers are on their radar. And given all their other designs are solid spools I doubt they’ll design the ryft spools any differently. It only makes sense eliminate the plastic case which leads to ring gear runout and inconsistency of ring/pinion tolerances upon installation. Not to mention the strength/rigidity increase.
I was thinking about od on the trail today. A moderate od less than 20% could work for my purpose of crawling/rock bouncing/hill climbs. Again just waiting to see what vanquish products has in store for the ryft. In the mean time I guess I’ll wait for horizon support to see what they’ll replace before I go making jb weld lockers lol

Old 06-19-2021, 08:59 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Little update tonight. After my third diff rebuild and subsequent failure I have now resorted to filling the cases with Devcon steel putty. That’ll do the trick nicely. The gears are terribly weak and poorly toleranced. Very disappointing to say the least. Even on 2s the castle system shredded a gear inside. Anyways now that the resin is curing here’s a vid https://youtu.be/TvqBJ3ZD9D0

Old 07-06-2021, 10:26 PM   #36
RCC Addict

locked the rear and center diff with the axial lockers myself. Rebuilt the front hoping for the best, but expecting it to bomb. Have a 3rd axial locker when needed, and another set of diff gears. thinkin of maybe a Vitavon 7075 diff case, or two. maybe that would keep the stock diff gears ok, but I doubt it. Metal seems too soft to be hones.

I asked Josh on his stream Friday night about Hardened Diff Gears etc, and he said Most likely yes on them.

Treal has a spool out, and it looks like Vitavon is bring a Steel spool option>

Trying to holdout
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:50 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Treal has an actual Spool available for like 35 usd. Hardened steel.
I see Vitavon has an 7075 Spool coming.

Hoping Vanquish will get to Hardened diff gears before a locker or spool to be honest.
The company that comes with the first good set of diff gears will win.

I suspect Vanquish will also bring a Curry style aluminum axles and axle shafts and tranny gears.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

There’s a Ryft forming in my basement - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ryft 2 speed Druxus 2.2 Scale Rigs 18 05-28-2022 08:57 AM
RBX10 Ryft josh9mile General Crawlers 12 07-06-2021 09:33 PM
Axial Ryft turns off rubiconrockkrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 05-16-2021 10:41 PM
MT Ryft TAT76 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 05-05-2021 07:30 AM
Treal Ryft axles Frank211 General Crawlers 0 04-27-2021 10:32 PM