Thread: There’s a Ryft forming in my basement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default There’s a Ryft forming in my basement

Well I’m having a good day! Things have shown up \m/

The castle mmx combo is the 1415 2400kv 5mm shaft
Power HD tr4 servo for shifting
I can’t wait to dive into the build this weekend. Waiting for the radiolink reciever and rit dye to arrive on the amazon truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RockCrawlingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: There’s a Ryft forming in my basement

Enjoy. The "furthest" I've gotten on mine was removing the box seals, removing the lid, putting the Vitavon parts image the box, and replacing the lid...lol

The hardest part of building a kit isn't the transmission, or the shocks, , or fitting the electronics inside a tiny space (all of us who've built the Capra know about that "problem" all-too-well...lol). No, the hardest part of building a kit is.....

.....trying to decide how to paint the body.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Enjoy. The "furthest" I've gotten on mine was removing the box seals, removing the lid, putting the Vitavon parts image the box, and replacing the lid...lol

The hardest part of building a kit isn't the transmission, or the shocks, , or fitting the electronics inside a tiny space (all of us who've built the Capra know about that "problem" all-too-well...lol). No, the hardest part of building a kit is.....

.....trying to decide how to paint the body.

I took the lid off mine and looked at the axles and it's back on. I've got a Vitavon locker in route and the 20 million diff fluid is here. Trying to decide on a ESC/motor combo and of course, what color to paint the panels too.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Well I’m 98% complete. I dyed the cage sapphire blue. It was rit dyemore as recommended by scale builders guild. It was super easy and satisfying to do. It was funny as I was bbq the parts on my Weber charcoal grill. I bought the largest tin roaster I could find filled it to the top with water boiled and mixed dye. They moved around for 10mins in the boiling water. Then extracted to reveal the new colour. After that was all done I started on the kit. Everything went together well except the driveshafts and some diff gears. On two of The driveshaft universal joints the cross pins where machined crooked not allowing to thread in the cross pin. I chased the threads with a tap and got them together. My other gripe is with some of the diff spider gears. The bores where not cleaned up correctly and when installed the gear was locked from spinning on the little cross pins. Again I cleaned up with a file and my diffs spin free. Another figment issue but not a big deal.. I used 2 6x8x.2mm shims from tekno per axle and installed them between the driveshaft joint and pinion bearing on the input shaft. Taking the end play out of the pinion gear combo. Probably my biggest gripe yet is the lack of included servo horn for the shifting linkage. They give you the horn but not the splined adapters.. grr. Cmon axial cheap move. Luckily the tr4 servo has some horns so I used my dremel to make an oblong hole to attach the shift rod. I’ve set the epa on the radio. The rod needs very little movement and my epa is 6 left and 25 right. It’s on a three position switch so I have 1/neutral/2. The castle esc is set to crawler/rock race. I have that set to the vr knob to allow fine tuning of brakes on the fly within the two modes. So far just took it out in the back to verify electrical set up. Everything’s working great and I’m loving the looks of this car. Just need to decide what colour to give the helmets. And apply some stickers

Old 05-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks fantastic!

Nice color choices...

If it were me, I'd do the helmets in either the yellowish orange or the red to match the killer side graphic.

Shame about the need to clean up the parts, and the servo horn - hopefully down the road they respond to complaints and resolve those issues.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Looks fantastic!

Nice color choices...

If it were me, I'd do the helmets in either the yellowish orange or the red to match the killer side graphic.

Shame about the need to clean up the parts, and the servo horn - hopefully down the road they respond to complaints and resolve those issues.

Thanks durok! I’m super thrilled with how it turned out. The panels where first painted with tamiya gold then tamiya pure orange as a backer. Axial was kind enough to give you three choices on side panel graphics. All look very good and a variety of colour choices. Red is my choice as well for the helmets I’m sold on it now so I’ll pick up a can of red 2x on my way home from work

Old 05-31-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looks sweet!
Curb Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Man that cage and body look hot! This is the first kit I've been debating about dying. I think you sold me on it. Does the Dye seem to penetrate enough that shallow scuffs don't wear through it?
vinnieb729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:21 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys
Yes the dyeing process was very interesting to me, and a very important aspect to this kit I love that I was able to make the cage my own. The dye penetrates the plastic. You can watch it absorb the colour when the plastic gets to temperature. As far as I can tell it will hold up like any factory dyed plastic.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I remember the good old days of dyeing RPM Revolver wheel on my Stampede, had a set that were purple!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I remember the good old days of dyeing RPM Revolver wheel on my Stampede, had a set that were purple!

Ya haha I remember dyeing rustler arms with the powder and always had terrible results. This new dyemore liquid is a game changer. It works incredibly well

Old 05-31-2021, 01:47 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks great. The blue of your cage matches the blue of the Vitavon axles I'll be installing. For my cage, I'll be going with as lighter blue.

In regards to the shift servo horn, it's probably NOT going to be anything they'll "correct", because it's intentional...the Capra & SCX10-III kits do the exact same thing, as ALL three kits want you to buy the Spektrum SX107 servo to handle the dig (Capra & SCX10-III), or high-low shifting (Ryft). The lower piece you mentioned comes with the SX107, and that's the ONLY way to obtain it...but, all is NOT lost, as that servo has a smaller-than-average spline diameter, and the lower piece of the servo saver has a smaller diameter spline to match.

Here's why "all is not lost" - as has been mentioned at least a few times in the primary Ryft thread...and many, many times in multiple SCX10-III & Capra threads...not only does axial offer a servo saver that will fit all three standard sized spline tooth-counts (23T, 24T & 25T), but the package also comes with two different top pieces that allow three different horn lengths. On top of that, this "Hi-Low Servo Saver Kit" has been available since even before the Capra was released. Look for AXIC3009, and you'll find the 'solution' to your cproblem'. Even better...and, taking all this one step further...there ARE 3rd-party sellers who manufacture/sell machined aluminum versions. The one I ordered is from Vitavon (same manufacturer of the axles).

Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Fully complete. Cant wait to rip it

Old 06-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Hello tiny truckers. The Ryft is begging to be driven. I’ve drove it around in my yard here on a 3s 3000mah goldbat 30c lipo. 2nd gear is lacking the punch this motor can put out. Top speed is mediocre at best. I know my power combo is good for a lot more. I need battery suggestions? I’m thinking 4s. I found HRB 4s 5200mah 50c pack that is listed as 135mm x 45mm x 40mm. They should fit. Only other 4s pack I could find was a $200usd max amps. I didn’t find a turnigy that was over 4000mah. Thanks for your help
Old 06-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
Hello tiny truckers. The Ryft is begging to be driven. I’ve drove it around in my yard here on a 3s 3000mah goldbat 30c lipo. 2nd gear is lacking the punch this motor can put out. Top speed is mediocre at best. I know my power combo is good for a lot more. I need battery suggestions? I’m thinking 4s. I found HRB 4s 5200mah 50c pack that is listed as 135mm x 45mm x 40mm. They should fit. Only other 4s pack I could find was a $200usd max amps. I didn’t find a turnigy that was over 4000mah. Thanks for your help
I have this exact battery below. Fits in the Ryft, although a bit tight, but it fits.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ck-w-xt90.html
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAwesome987 View Post
I have this exact battery below. Fits in the Ryft, although a bit tight, but it fits.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ck-w-xt90.html

That’s a nice batt thanks! It says 155mm long how does that fit? I’ve measured the tray to be 140mm long

Old 06-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlingKid View Post
That’s a nice batt thanks! It says 155mm long how does that fit? I’ve measured the tray to be 140mm long

Tightly.

I'll take a picture when I get home if I remember.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Here ya go:

Old 06-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Man that’s stuffed! \m/

I sent it on the hrb 4s 5200mah. I ran it for a min on a stored 4s2p rapid brick and it was my golly incredible! Just what I’m looking for. Interesting my gens 2s 5000mah performs quite well and gives good punch with mild wheelspeed. Good for a youngin gobs of torque and control in 1st gear and zips around well enough in 2nd. Love the torque of the 70mm long can. Very good combo for this buggy

Old 06-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Received the hrb 4s 5200mah batteries from amazon. One pack has a dud cell so I’ve sent a message to see if they’ll remedy. This one is a beast standing backflips are nothing it’s OP yes but perfect for the hills this thing will be attacking. They fit perfectly in the battery tray. Tray dimensions for Anyone who’s interested is 140mm long 45mm wide 40mm tall.

There’s a Ryft forming in my basement - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ryft 2 speed Druxus 2.2 Scale Rigs 18 05-28-2022 08:57 AM
RBX10 Ryft josh9mile General Crawlers 12 07-06-2021 09:33 PM
Axial Ryft turns off rubiconrockkrawler 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 05-16-2021 10:41 PM
MT Ryft TAT76 2.2 Scale Rigs 29 05-05-2021 07:30 AM
Treal Ryft axles Frank211 General Crawlers 0 04-27-2021 10:32 PM