Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: CAPO JKMAX - Newbie Questions - Thank you

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2021, 05:42 PM   #1

Default CAPO JKMAX - Newbie Questions - Thank you

Hello!

New to the forum and new to scale RC and really RC altogether.

I found out about this model searching for a cool model to buy several weeks ago and somehow ended up finding this on YT and got hooked. After looking into this, I have realized this is more than I can handle myself more than likely. I have NEVER built anything RC and have no clue where to start. Also, there is virtually no place to buy this unit per se. They only exist on Ebay as kits.

I contacted the primary person who sells these kits (Toucan Hobby). They are out of China, but have "warehouses" here in the states. After googling around they appear legit. I contacted the seller and they for a fee of what appears to be ($300 or so) will build the unit for you. Per their FB and YT they appear to have quite a bit of experience building things. Does anyone at all have experience with them? I know I may get flamed for wanting this built, but having zero know how with something like this may prove problematic.

Also, I want to educate myself on the parts not included that they would put in there for me (Battery, Motor, ESC, Servo, Radio). What would be considered tier one in this regard? I am sure if I followed through with this blindly they would likely install "what works" not what is the "best" - if you know what I mean. Therefore, I would want to request said parts suggested here to be installed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
C158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #2

Default Re: CAPO JKMAX - Newbie Questions - Thank you

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you
Old 07-24-2021, 11:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

First I've heard of them.

Found a little info here...
Anybody Run A Capo JkMax?
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hello, and welcome to RCCrawler.com or (RCC)

In order for you to gain any experience with this hobby, or any particular truck, you have to build it yourself. Otherwise you will be bringing it to a hobby shop every time something breaks. (Could be a cheap/quick fix)You only need about 6 tools total, and most kits still come with tools.

YouTube, Google, and this forum are your friends. Search

From everything I've read, seen, heard about capo has been positive. Unsure of customer support.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ive only seen them on you tube myself.but from what little was covered i dont get.the impresion this is a starters kit capo seems to sell more advanced kits its fine if your mechanicly inclined but if not you wont enjoy it i realy sugest getting something like a trx4 something or axial something to get your feet wet

kits arent for everyone there are lotz of good ready to runs out there if you realy arent skilled in the nuts and bolts department but nothing beats building something your self

another thing to think about any rig is gona need maininance so your gona have to tear it down at some point to ether replace parts or lube gears and bearings so your gona learn now or your gona learn later and if you dont learn your gona have a bad time
these rigs do break parts they get abuzed beyond reason do aftermarket partz suport is a huge factor when deciding what rig to run the capo has little to no aftermarket suport so your kinda stuck with what you got just replacing parts as they break
axial and traxxasssss have a huge aftermarket suport theres no limit on what you can do to them

Last edited by ferp420; 07-25-2021 at 07:41 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies.

While I do plan on using the RC ability's of this truck, I am mostly interested in it for its scale look. I was actually thinking about buying a cool 1:12 scale model soon of high quality and those are in the $800 to $1500 range. So I figured for a bit more money I could get something the actually runs too. Therefore, this would not see much abuse at all.

The thing that worries me about building it myself is lack of experience. The seller of the unit Touchan, says he has built quite few of them, so it seemed like a logical way to go but I do understand what everyone is saying about building it yourself. I would definitely learn more that way.

But maybe I am just biting off more than I can chew....
Old 07-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

maybe start with a practice model like a tamiya kit or a rc4wd something or another they are cheaper and look good on the shelf too and lots of parts available if you realy screw it up but honestly once you get the feel for the screws your good you dont want to snap or strip the screws realy thats the hardest part
im sure there are directions with the kit so i would imagine if you can asemble a model you can asemble th3 capo just watch the torque on the screws and use locktight on any screw that goes in to metal
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I dont think this rig is suited to someone new to the hobby whether you get it assembled or not, you'll still need to maintain/understand the inner workings. You can find many other scale rigs out there that are a lot more approachable have parts support and a much larger user base (Axial, Traxxas, Element RC, RC4WD etc.). I'd recommend looking for a rig that's sold at one of these two places, https://www.rpphobby.com/Default.asp
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-rock...zqhrjcytwryqgz

These guys are usually brutally honest, Capo Overview after building it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoAkY1JHj-I

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-25-2021 at 12:34 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have built one and they are the more complicated then any other rc I have built. If you get one you should build it so you know how to fix it. You will need to know how to fix it because they are fragile. It is a light trail truck, used for anything else it will fail quickly.

They look great and the gears used in the axles and transmission/ transfer case are nice and hard and hold up great. The bad part is the shafts in the transmission are to small for the weight of the vehicle and they snap alot, the bearings in the transmission are 5x8 and fail frequently, if I remember correctly the bearings in the axle are 5x10, still way to small for a 15lbs rig and those fail frequently as well.

Mine is pretty much a shelf queen these days because things go wrong so often I got sick of working on it and getting replacement parts in is usually month's long wait.

I had another post somewhere in the 2.2 with more details and pics I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: never mind i see DRED805 already got it and I missed it before.

Last edited by Druxus; 08-02-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote

CAPO JKMAX - Newbie Questions - Thank you - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody Run A Capo JkMax? cloudswimmer 2.2 Scale Rigs 38 02-16-2021 09:44 AM
jkmax download instructions RCforfun 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 02-05-2021 09:51 PM
Newbie questions skid plate Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 05-17-2012 11:15 AM
Newbie Questions laurensparsons Axial SCX-10 0 03-13-2012 01:08 PM
Newbie Questions BLPede5800 Newbie General 10 12-09-2006 06:13 PM