Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ryft kit came with only one spool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Ryft kit came with only one spool?

Bought a ryft kit on 12/5 from horizon they were on sale for 280. Just opened the box yesterday and noticed it only came with 1 spool. I read in another thread on here of a member building his and he said he received 3 spools one for each carrier. Does this seem right? The parts list does only show one spool included. Just curios what others have received? TIA
Mxkid261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ryft kit came with only one spool?

Only 1 is included. You can purchase additional ones (as that other person did)...but, do you really want to? I think, not. If you read through the Ryft Kit threads, you'll find that the majority have built theirs with the spool in the front, and super-high diff fluid weights in the center & rear. The second most popular seems to be front & center spools, with super-high weight (no less than 1M) in the rear. I'm running 1M in the center, and 2.5M in the rear. If you want to "test out" other configurations, try using foam ear plugs in the center and/or rear, to see how you like it.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion, lock all diffs. It tames the rig in hill climbs and on loose surfaces and makes it much more controllable in those situations. The only detriment is on hard pack or pavement, making it almost undriveable at speed.

In building the rig I would personally drop the spool in the center and wait on the axles until you pick up the spools.

I blew up all three diffs in my rtr and replaced them with spools. the center diff is by far the hardest to access once the rig is built.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 12-13-2021 at 03:44 PM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Most people lock the diff because the weak diff gears wear out fast.

Kit only comes with one locker. that other dude bought the other 2 lockers. he didn't get them in the kit.

If you want to run an open diff, do yourself a favor and buy a set of the vitavon diff gears (25.00) and Vitavon Diff Cup (Treal also now makes an Aluminum diff cup) and use them over the stock gears. That should make a good diff. Maybe grab the Vitavon Ring and Pinion, and build up a bulletproof diff.

My plan was to run locked rear, whatever in the center (Stock is 500k) and 1 or 2 million in the front. or locked center and same in front, hoping for an overdrive set of ring and pinion.
But the stock diff gears suck hind teet. even when well shimmed they are just too soft and weak.

Kind of hanging back until Vanquish drops their diff gears and R&P sets.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I put lockers in all 3 of my diffs after 2 rebuilds, the diff gears wear out fast. I don't miss the diff gears at all. I run mostly sandy woods trails since that's all we have in west Michigan. I'm not sure why you would want open diffs unless your racing it around a track.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I put a brushed motor in mine, locked it in low gear, and use it strictly as a crawler. All three diffs are locked and it makes a world of difference while crawling.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have 2 SSD spool's that will be here today. Already put the factory one in the transmission. Thanks for the replies guys
Mxkid261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

I have been running the rear and center diffs locked and the front with stock everything except I spent some time shimming it properly. In my area this has worked out extremely well. I originally had just the center locked when I put the kit together, then added the rear spool shortly after. Im curious what you think about running all 3 locked, so please let us know what your impressions are after you run it.
c2v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:17 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

As Tiny and Lonelycreeper have said running locked is the way to go. I have locked all 3 diffs with SSD spools on my RTR. Made a world of difference. I also want to say that c2v2 is also correct about the proper shimming. I messed around with the stock diffs and gears and the tolerances were way off. I wound up needing like 4 to 5 shims to get the proper mesh. After that I feel that the gears will hold up for a long time. They seem pretty hard when I took a file to my damaged set. I just think that they blew the tolerances for the diff case. There is no way one shim on each side will work. I had less than 1/4 of the teeth contacting so go figure that a new RTR lasted 10ft. before it blew the center diff.

I am also building a kit Ryft soon as I get the rest of my parts in and it will be a Brushed crawler set up with full locked diffs like Tiny. I might play around again with gears in the front diff of my RTR but pretty sure it will go back to locked. Unless you run a a lot of rock or pavement at speed pretty sure the diffs are useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2v2 View Post
I have been running the rear and center diffs locked and the front with stock everything except I spent some time shimming it properly. In my area this has worked out extremely well. I originally had just the center locked when I put the kit together, then added the rear spool shortly after. Im curious what you think about running all 3 locked, so please let us know what your impressions are after you run it.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well crap I now have more to order I didn't even think about this when I grabbed mine as well for sale price. Guess I will grab more SSD lockers. I have been pleased with the ones that I put in my RTR so far. Went together easily. I also did the SSD aluminum axle tubes as well to help prevent breakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
Bought a ryft kit on 12/5 from horizon they were on sale for 280. Just opened the box yesterday and noticed it only came with 1 spool. I read in another thread on here of a member building his and he said he received 3 spools one for each carrier. Does this seem right? The parts list does only show one spool included. Just curios what others have received? TIA
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Ryft kit came with only one spool? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the Axial Ryft appreciated here? I just completed my kit (sans body) check it out! wwaveform 2.2 Scale Rigs 13 01-28-2023 04:11 PM
Ryft kit , spool or gears? Paulwayz 2.2 Scale Rigs 11 11-14-2021 03:43 PM
BMRC CVD KIT w/ SPOOL Keola808 Axial Yeti 25 04-18-2015 12:59 PM