Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: SSD/Rc4wd engine and transmission setup in Ryft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #1

Talking SSD/Rc4wd engine and transmission setup in Ryft

Has anyone tried/thought of putting the SSD or Rc4wd engine and transmission setup in their Ryft yet??
BeardedMoparDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SSD/Rc4wd engine and transmission setup in Ryft

Not the tranny. But I did mock up an SSD Motor and mounted it to my Spur Cover for a rear motor version. I know most have motors in front, but that was an easy do.

Mounted to the spur cover. this was the critical part. had to take a little off the block to get the engine to set back far enough to not be in the way of the upper links. And getting it perpendicular to the ground so its not setting cockeyes.

in the rig.

Think its Chris from GCM in Canada swapped one of their scale tranny and motors into his Ryft.

I'm sure the SSD Engine and Scale Tranny would work. just be a fair bit of modding to get it up front.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #3

Could more details on how you did bc I want to do it the same way you did it bc pictures sure don't do justice for me lol 🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-11-2022, 10:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

From the engine block on the rear side (tranny side) I removed just enough material to allow the heads/tappet covers to extend across the top of the cover to the back of the cover. then used a couple bots (pan heads m3) and washers and a nut on each to secure the heads to the cover by bolting them to it running the bolt through 2 holes I made in the top of the cover under head head, ran the bolt up through the center of the heads, placed a wide washer to pinch the head and secure it with the nylock m3 nut on each head.
A bit better look here.

Here you can see I also needed to trim the oil pan a bit, leaving just the front part of the oil pan in place. I then mounted the oil pan to the face of the spur cover by putting a hole in the pan and spur cover where the oil drain plug would be located, and ran a short m3 button head bolt through the cover from the back, and then through the oil pan, and used a nylock not to secure it down. no bolt is sticking through and this gives the oil pan drain plug look for more scale appearances.

Getting the engine orientation was the paramount part of this mod, otherwise, it would sit off kilter and not look good at all. So taking the time to ensure the engine is sitting perpendicular to the rig/ground so aesthetics are correct.

Thats pretty much all the pics I have that show how/where for placement.
I plan on going in and rewiring things and I can get more pics at that time if needed.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #5

That's badass .. I will try it but my skills aren't great lol 🤣🤣🤣
Old 01-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedMoparDude View Post
That's badass .. I will try it but my skills aren't great lol 🤣🤣🤣
this was as easy as a few measurements (how wide the cover is, is how much to remove from the block area and oil pan).
As noted above the trick was getting it in the correct position on the cover so when installed it set right.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to build one and get it fixed to the cover and ship it too you. Just cover the expenses and a bit for the time needed.
Could paint the motor any colors you wanted etc.
That way all you'd need to do is open the box and install it on your Ryft which is as easy as bolting on the spur cover.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:03 AM   #7

If you want to do that I would cover it
Old 01-21-2022, 02:35 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm getting ready to drop an LS7 into my Ryft. It's a kit you can buy And with a little trimming it will fit in the fuel tank on the back of the Ryft. So it will look like a rear-engine crawler.$25.00 Here's a couple of pics of it...
Name:  IMG_20220120_013324.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  118.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20220121_022802.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20220121_023605.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20220121_023220.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  79.6 KB
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD/Rc4wd engine and transmission setup in Ryft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Blazer body vs SSD Transmission Fishbone.dk Axial SCX-10 2 02-28-2019 08:46 AM
Engine-Shaped Motor Covers for SSD Transmission micro racer Scale Accessories 14 01-25-2018 12:24 AM
RC4WD 1/10 V8 Scale Engine/R4 Ultimate Single Speed Transmission Unpacking Rckcrwlr Scale Accessories 18 10-11-2014 03:48 PM
Need to understand the hole dual engine setup? Volture'Z Newbie General 6 06-04-2012 07:52 PM