Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Haastnooit’s RBX10 Ryft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Haastnooit’s RBX10 Ryft

The Treal RC rear axlehousing arrived today. Absolutely gorgeous parts, very well machined. Installing such high quality parts is really satisfying, I had a very nice evening working on the orange Ryft.

The Yeah Racing driveshafts came in earlier this week. The parts look and feel fantastic, I have no doubt these will work okay. Also the Yeah Racing lockers are well made and fit the axle housing perfect.

All diffs are locked now, the rear axle is beefed up to the maximum. Working with these nice Treal parts got me thinking about upgrading the front axle as well. It is probably wiser to do so when the axle breaks down … we will see. Now attention is turned to my daughters black Ryft, I will install the lockers in all diffs, guess I will start tomorrow.

Last edited by Haastnooit; 04-04-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Haastnooit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Its cool that your daughter is into RC. Both mine are soso and care less, but have their own. Do you only bash with these two? From the repeated carnage, it seems both of you may be better off with one of those buggy bashers. My $.02
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:26 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Thanks Gula, it is fun to bash together. No we don’t only use these Ryfts, we also bash with a Widemaxx and Bigrock. And we run some Tamiya onroad cars as well.

I get what your saying about the carnage, but it isn’t too bad. In some case they are known weaknesses (plastic axle housing, plastic servo saver, angled rodend, diffgears) and some are due to bad parts (SSD rear tube, uneven wall thickness). Only the failure of the driveshaft yokes annoyed me, that never happened to me before.

Last edited by Haastnooit; 04-05-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Just finished installing all three diff lockers in the black Ryft. Below a pic of the final one. Now we are ready to hit the hills again

Not all six diffs where working as they should. Both Ryfts had sticking gears in the front diffs, but I could not see any real damage on the spider gears and side gears. Don’t know exactly what caused the gears to stick.

Both center diffs had no issues and worked as open diffs should. The rear diff on the black Ryft also worked without issues. The rear diff on the orange Ryft however was binding severely due to a broken tooth on the side gear.

All diffs where properly filled and gears where greased enough right out the box.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Bummed to see the bent aluminum tube, but also not surprised. Wish someone made steel tubes like ye old AR60 days. I don't suspect the brass versions are any stronger.

I'm trying to avoid spending the big bucks on full aluminum housings, but it's seeming inevitable.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haastnooit View Post
Just finished installing all three diff lockers in the black Ryft. Below a pic of the final one. Now we are ready to hit the hills again

Not all six diffs where working as they should. Both Ryfts had sticking gears in the front diffs, but I could not see any real damage on the spider gears and side gears. Don’t know exactly what caused the gears to stick.

Both center diffs had no issues and worked as open diffs should. The rear diff on the black Ryft also worked without issues. The rear diff on the orange Ryft however was binding severely due to a broken tooth on the side gear.

All diffs where properly filled and gears where greased enough right out the box.

Common issue in most of the Axial lineup. You need a small shim on the outside of the pinion gear shaft between the axle housing and the drive shaft coupler. Under load the pinion gear is moving forward into the ring gear and cause some binding or feeling rough like broken diff teeth. I have had to do this in almost all of my Axial 1/10 rigs. Mainly the 10.2 and 10.3 rigs though. Try seeing if the drive shaft at the coupler has any play in it. Flip over and rotate the wheels as if the rc was driving in a forward direction and see if the pinion shaft is moving at all. If it has any play especially forward add a small shim to take up the slack that should prevent the Pinion from sliding forward into the ring gear. Sometimes the ring gear can move far enough that the very front edge is rubbing on the diff housing. The rear pinion may need it too but it would only cause slight binding in reverse vs forward. Rear pinion pulls forward away from the ring gear under forward load.

Hope this helps it may not be the issue, but its has a high probability since its only the front that you are noticing the issue with. It also doesn't matter if its a locked diff or not.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:34 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

I too was disappointed the aluminium tube bent, must say I was a bit surprised to see the wall thickness not being equal around the tube. Don’t know if it is cause or result of the bendage.

Aluminium axle housings are pricey indeed, but men what an awesome quality the Treal ones have. I had a big smile ear to ear when installing them, totally forgot about the hurt in the wallet

Thanks for your input SCX10JK, but it is not the ring and pinion gears. They work fine, no issues there. I meant I had sticking gears in the diffs that would occasionally lock up when rotating both tires on the axle counterclockwise working the open diff gears as they should. I expected to find some broken teeth in the front diffs as well, but no obvious damage was found.

Last edited by Haastnooit; 04-06-2022 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haastnooit View Post

Thanks for your input SCX10JK, but it is not the ring and pinion gears. They work fine, no issues there. I meant I had sticking gears in the diffs that would occasionally lock up when rotating both tires on the axle counterclockwise working the open diff gears as they should. I expected to find some broken teeth in the front diffs as well, but no obvious damage was found.

Ah yeah missed that part. It's probably also in need of shimming as well. My Ryft that I bought had a blown center diff so before I even ran it at all I replaced all 3 diffs with spools. I do remember messing around with them after i removed them and noticed that they were not smooth at all and acted as you were describing. I messed around with them some and wound up shimming the one with 4 stock shims in order to get the mesh correct. One took 5 shims. Basically Axial dropped the ball on the diff design pretty bad. If you want to try and run with diffs get the aftermarket aluminum case and the hardened diff gears. Axial never learns this is the exact same issue that the old Yeti XL had it destroyed diff gears almost instantly.

I really hope that aluminum axle tube was a fluke. Making me nervous about mine now. I have them in both front and rear and another set to go into my kit Ryft as well.
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

No matter anyway … got lockers all around both Ryfts now .

I don’t know about the SSD tubes … below pics of both ends of the bent long tube. The wheel side is bent and shows uneven wall thickness. I don’t know if this was the case before installation and maybe cause of the bendage, or the tube is distorted due to the bendage.

The diff side has even wall thickness, see below.

I will send the pictures to SSD, curious to hear what they say.
Old 04-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I could not resist anymore … I have been eyeballing the Treal website ever since installing the rear axle housing. Tonight I caved in and ordered the front housing, link mounts, knuckles and steering arms.

I might get in to trouble here …

[edit] Oh, and I reported the tube bending to SSD a few days back. They asked me to send the pictures today, so I did. Curious how they will go about this. They asked me what I expect from them. I stated I don’t expect anything and will leave it up to them how to go about this. To be continued …

Last edited by Haastnooit; 04-11-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #31

I am also interested to see how SSD handles that. I have been eying those tubes for awhile.
Lubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:27 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

i just ordered the tubes, im gonna try the oldschool drill and tap method to try and keep them from bending. not having any screws probably allowed the plastic to stretch and flex.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Well … they did not handle it all.

I did send the pics and then it went completely quiet from SSD side. No response what so ever … I did send the pics a second time with different subject, again nothing. I included pics of the jumps we did, so they could estimate the load the axle tubes endured.

I think this is not the way to handle failure of your product.

My faith in SSD has diminished to 0. Poor customer service … It will be a long time before I will order SSD parts again.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:12 PM   #34

Cool Re: Haastnooit’s RBX10 Ryft

lurking
Craweler87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haastnooit’s RBX10 Ryft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RBX10, RYFT, Scale Rock Bouncer lonleycreeper 2.2 Scale Rigs 376 01-20-2023 09:38 AM
Siggy's Axial Racing RBX10 Ryft SMART Rock Bouncer Siggy 2.2 Scale Rigs 54 08-30-2021 06:36 AM
RBX10 Ryft josh9mile General Crawlers 12 07-06-2021 09:33 PM
New lid for Haastnooit Rockthrasher Paint and Body 23 04-07-2013 06:50 PM