Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Not a Capra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2022, 07:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Not a Capra

Or maybe it should have been called "Becoming a Capra". General 2.2 seemed like the right place for this since the only capra part I've ever owned is this cage. In the end it'll probably be just as much a capra as any other modded straight axle capra. Lol

I'm tinkering with what used to be my e10. It's been reworked over and over for the last 2yrs. This was the car that got me into rc crawlers.

These days, the only redcat parts left are the trans, and the links. My starting point (pictured below) is 4ws, integy cage, wraith width ar60/ar44 chi-com axles, 2.2 scorpio tires.

I wanted to change up the car a bit. Wanted a better looking chassis, and maybe save a little weight. I ordered a capra cage and set out to swap all my parts over to the capra platform.

Here's the rig I'm starting with (older pic with ripsaws)

To get things going on the build I drew up a skid to fit the trans and the chassis. I figured I would try out the capra suspension setup and see how it works. People seem to like it so I'll find out for myself.

Last edited by bgredjeep; 07-05-2022 at 05:51 AM.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2022, 05:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Not a Capra

I got a head start on swapping parts over to the new skid before the cage showed up. Similar to my other builds, using offset diffs in a platform intended for centered, the drivelines are very tight. It took a bit of adjustment to the links before I could fit it all through.

Then the cage showed up a week earlier than the shipping estimate so I got that put together. I had a couple people mention how tight the capra cage was. Coming from this integy cage I don't expect I'll have a problem fitting everything. It will take some figuring out, but I'll get there.

Old 04-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Look'n great so far man, keep it up!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:46 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.

So once I tried to fit up the cage the first time, I found that the measurements I had for the holes to mount the cage to the skid were off. Just 1mm short, but enough that I had to adjust and print another skid. I slotted 2 of the holes in the aluminum sides so I didn't have to remake them.

After I got the cage mounted, I ran into another series of issues with link and driveshaft clearance. Lots of trial and error fitment later I got the front pretty much sorted out and sitting low enough for my taste.

This pic has the shocks (100mm) fully extended since there's no weight on it.

I had to do some cutting on the axle link mounts to get it sitting right. I got this figured about an hour after I ordered some trx4 shocks to help lower the front. Might have to find another use for those shocks when they arrive.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This afternoon I finished up the rear suspension. Same treatment as the front. I also made a lexan tray to mount the esc to the skid so it can stay in place if I need to pull the cage. After that it was just a matter of stuffing all the wires in.

It's pretty much ready for a test drive. I need to pick up the m3x30mm set screws for the lower links. The ones I have in there now just barely cover the gap.

Here's a photo dump of the progress

You can see here I was an idiot and melted the top of the trans a bit while soldering the wires to the motor. Lol

Ride height

Bump

Old 04-29-2022, 06:44 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I stopped by the hobby shop today to get the m3x30mm set screws for the lower links. Turns out they didn't come in and are now showing backordered until July. Lol. I asked him to cancel that and I ordered some online. I guess it make sense now why everywhere I found them online they were more than double the price that axial lists.

Anyhow, since I couldn't finish that up I did a little work on the axles. The term "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind. I stole some parts from my ar60 that I just pulled out of the bomber. Axial universals, vp knuckles and hubs are now installed on the front axle. I also shimmed both diffs a bit tighter.

I posted up on a local fb group to see if any of the guys had a set of take off panels they wanted to sell. Instead, I was offered these fresh kit panels one of my friends had not used. Guess I need to pick a paint color soon.

Old 04-30-2022, 03:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The car is pretty much together. I did a quick function check and it goes, steers, and stops. I don't want to crawl it until I get the right hardware for the lower links, so hopefully by Wednesday I'll be able to properly test.

I put it on the scale for kicks. Rtr with the battery.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I finally got the screws I needed for the lower links, so the car is ready to drive now. Those took so long to come in, I ended up getting the paint for the panels. I played it safe with gunmetal. Basically the same color as my truck which has the same bronze method wheels so I knew it would be a good combo.

I'll add a few stickers and it's ready to crawl. The color doesn't show up great in the garage light.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:42 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Took the redcap for a spin today. It worked really well and feels very stable. I'd say the swap from the integy cage to the capra was worthwhile, and it looks like a much nicer car now.

Here's a few video clips I took. I didn't make the stair climb in the last video like I could before, but I'm blaming the flowers my wife put on the stairs for now. I had more room to work before.

Last edited by bgredjeep; 05-09-2022 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

A finishing touch I had ordered for this buggy showed up today. Now I just need to get some more wheel time on the rocks. Maybe the leds for the light bar too.

I run the same thing on my big crawler
Old 07-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The car has worked great, but I can't leave things alone. I haven't run it a lot since I'm waiting for the fusion pro 2300kv to get back in stock. The current system isn't waterproof (or even resistant) and creek beds are where a lot of my local crawling happens.

I did print a new skid for it with some adjustments to the design. I've read about people having failures with printed skids. While I haven't had any problems with the ones I've made, a little extra material in some thin spots can't hurt right?

I thickened up the bottom 1.5mm through the middle (tapered out to the edges). The rod ends are flush now where they used to hang below the skid so i didn't really lose any clearance. I recessed the trans mount on the top side 1.5mm, and widened the center as much as possible without the rod ends interfering.

I'll probably draw one for the scx10 trans and post them to my thingiverse later.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:30 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I got the skid posted. If anyone wants a diy alternative to fitting a 3 gear into their capra, have at it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5425407

I also made new side plates to give me the room I need to fit the fusion pro in the car (when I can finally get one). Pushed the rear links back 5mm which should clear it. I considered moving the trans a few mm further to the side, but with the offset diffs on the axles, my drive shafts are already right on the link mount screws.

New rear lower links to match should be here Friday.

Last edited by bgredjeep; 07-05-2022 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The new rear links are in and set. Nothing much to show there.

I've been goofing around with a few other items. First I whipped up a little yj flavor for the front since my 1:1 crawler is sort of a yj still. I ordered some Traxxas rock lights in going to try fitting in as headlights. Either way the grill will stay.

I also made some roof rails, or sliders, or whatever. Just something I had in my head to try out.

Then came prime day. I picked up a couple inexpensive servos for this car. Jx 32kg 8.4v. The front servo I had on it was pretty good, but the rear was a 15kg from one of my old rtrs I had laying around. I found a couple test videos that showed it made the torque it's supposed to so we'll see how they work out.

I also grabbed these Zeee 4200 mah shorty packs I've had my eye on since they were on sale for prime day. Nothing wrong with the old packs, but these should last for hours of crawling and only slightly larger. Still fits the stock tray perfectly.

Old 07-20-2022, 04:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Lights came in. They fit the holes pretty well. No idea how bright they'll be, but my main goal was to have lights in the grill. Eventually I'll get a light bar on it for night running.

I still need to pick up a step down regulator to splice into the harness. Planning to power it off the receiver.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Let there be light!

Voltage regulator showed up yesterday and I got it wired in this morning. I just spliced it into the light directly so I can plug this right into the receiver (via a switch).

I was pleased to see they are pretty bright. This regulator outputs 3.3v. This test was with it plugged into a receiver at 6v on the bec. I confirmed the output before splicing it together by connecting it directly to a 2s battery.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:55 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

My switch came today and I got the install finished up. For such small lights I'm really happy with the output.

Last edited by bgredjeep; 07-26-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a light bar to aid with nigh crawling. Just a cheap 90mm bar from Amazon. It was slightly wider than the stock mounts, but I was able to squeeze it in.

I also finally got the fusion pro. It barely fit with the new skid I made, but it all went together. I've only done the initial setup but far far so good. I'll get it tested and tuned up once it's not ridiculously hot and humid outside.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The capra lost its last e10 part of any significance today. I picked up a counter rotating trans and got it installed this morning. New skid printed for the scx10 trans pattern and swapped it in. Rear diff flipped to low pinion. It took a bit of adjusting to get the rear driveshaft to clear the links, but its all set now.

Old 12-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Took the capra thing out for a drive today. It worked really well with the new trans. It's very quiet which is nice.

I'm pretty sure I lost a bearing, but not sure where yet. The car just started randomly squeaking after a while. I think it's at one of the c hubs so I'll have to chase that down. Other than that it was excellent.

Old 01-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Your Capra Thing looks good. Two quick questions... How is that Trans holding up? I've been thinking of getting one of those for a scx10.2 project I have and need a reverse trans for it. Second is, how are you linking those tires? I've been thinking of putting 2.2's on my Capra but options on that size seem limited at the moment.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote

Not a Capra - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Capra? Topher Builds General Crawlers 39 11-29-2021 10:41 AM
VFD Capra...Can I Still Call It A Capra? mjensen Axial Capra 107 11-20-2021 03:56 AM
My Capra pfray Axial Capra 4 05-12-2020 07:52 AM
Capra with 2.2s Mr. Crawley EC Tires and Wheels 5 12-17-2019 07:06 AM