Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 2.2 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #1001
Moderator Rule Breaker

Default re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Tick tock!

You slack in the updates... but when you do it amazing!
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #1002
PapaGriz Yo

Default re: Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2012 NWSC Rebuild 49" IROKS(Paint and interior updates pg53)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Gizzy thanks for the motivation.. I was thinking about selling my TCC FJ for wraith. But I'm keeping it and keep plugging away at it. I'm caving in building wraith axles for it.
Glad to hear it Eric. I like that FJ and I'd hate to se you give up on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I don't think 6 million is gonna cover Guido's re-re-re-rebuild. Might have to Obama-size the budget!

Axles are looking sexy as hell!
No doubt! Thanks Dez.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
your skill humbles me...

seriously.

Going to be really sad missing this one this year
Thank you Andy. I'm really bummed you can't make it. I really enjoy hanging out with you. It would have been fun to see the Hack-A-Lack again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmanx View Post
X2
Thanks Manx
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Tick tock!

You slack in the updates... but when you do it amazing!
I know I know......

I've been struggling with the front suspension/steering really bad. I took a sick day today and after I got back from the doctor I think I've got it all worked out. I will lose a little uptravel compared to what I wanted, and the ride height is a tad higher than I was shooting for, but I finally figured out how to make things fit. I figure the 14.5" wheelbase will help compensate for the additional ride height and the overall width is coming in at 11.5" so that will help too. The new axles are 1.25" wider than the AX10 axles.

I'll get some updates tomorrow. Now that I have things figured out I should be able make some good progress this weekend. Right now I'm going to watch the movie "Priest" with the wife.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #1003
Rock Crawler

Grizz I'm Speachless Guido never ceases to amaze!

Also Eddies foams are the only way to go, they have never failed for me especially with a rig as heavy as yours.
Moosekey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #1004
PapaGriz Yo

So we go back a couple days first. I made a trackbar mount for the axle to get proper geometry but ran into a problem. The drag link and the trackbar ended up in the same spot when turning.

So I made this bracket that mounts to the steering arm. It moves the drag link out of the way.

Satisfied with that I started building the trackbar. A 1/4" diameter link was going to be too big so I had to figure out how to bring the strength with 3/16" tube. I grabbed some 3/16" stainless tube but the ID is only 1/8" so 3mm or 4-40 is the largest thread that would pass through.
I decided to use the Traxxas Maxx rod ends because of space and I like to use 6-32 with those rod ends. I decided to cut off a length and grind down the threads until it fit in the tube. Then I drilled a hole through the tube so I would have 2 holes to do a plug weld to hold the all-thread in place.

Between the all thread I cut a piece of 1/8" steel rod to fill up the tube. Then welded the all-thread in the other end.

I think this will be plenty strong for a trackbar and looks much more scale than the 1/4" tube. I think I'll do this with the steering links as well to look more scale.

I beefed up the "steering box" by drilling out a piece of 7/16" stainless tube with an 11/32" drill bit. This allowed me to slide the brass bearing supports into the stainless tube. Now the steering will be beef and I won't have to worry about the brass supporting the bearings under high stress.

The front coil spring mounts moved forward by about .75".

Today started with the trackbar mount for the frame.

All boxed in and speed holes drilled.

Welded to the frame and the coil spring mount for support. I had to tie it into the steering box but I think it will be plenty strong.
I decided not to grind off the welds. I kinda like them.

Sorry for the blurry pics, I gotta work on the camera settings.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #1005
WOOPOOW!!

Man I love this thing! Awesome work Grizz!!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #1006
I wanna be Dave

If you get the ackerman arms from VP, they stick out more than the red (stock arms)and inwards more.

Sweet build, been jumping thru it alot and War pigs builds.
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #1007
PapaGriz Yo

Here's a shot of the truss with the trackbar mount.

Third link mounts finished. I liked the 5 link setup I used to have but clearance for the steering makes a 3-link more practical.

A couple more shots of the steering arm plate for the drag link.

Track bar bolted up.

The drag link is a little longer than the track bar and the angle is off by just a couple degrees, but it's all close enough to keep the bumpsteer away. Remember, the bend in the link has no effect on geometry. Only the straight line between the two end points matters.

A couple shots of the clearance at full bump. It's tight but it fits.

No need for any more uptravel, the tires just touch the body panel mounts.

I made a lot of progress today. Once you get the design figured out and all you gotta do is fab parts, it goes pretty quick. Here's a couple pics to show the new stance. Me likey!!!

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 09-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1008
I wanna be Dave

How you liking them rims over the CACs?

How do you like the iroks?

It looks super badass now!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #1009
WOOPOOW!!

Damn thats sweet!!
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #1010
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Man I love this thing! Awesome work Grizz!!
Thanks Colby. Keep up the good work on your new buggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLTCrawlin View Post
If you get the ackerman arms from VP, they stick out more than the red (stock arms)and inwards more.

Sweet build, been jumping thru it alot and War pigs builds.
Thanks TLT. I appreciate you checking it out.
I thought about the Vanquish ackerman arms but the plate fixes the problem well enough. Plus if the arms get any longer I won't have enough throw in my bellcrank steering to get full turning.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #1011
I wanna be Dave

No problem just throwing that out there. I have both on my table so I compared them.

I'm thinking about doing a bellcrank setup, really unsure though. Looks pretty sweet.

I'm curious, are you MIGn the brakeline tube? (or is it rod?)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1012
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
How you liking them rims over the CACs?

How do you like the iroks?

It looks super badass now!!!
I've never run the IROKs so I have no idea how they work. Based on War Pig's testing they seemed to perform decent enough, but I was sold on the looks alone.

I've never run the RPP wheels on a crawler before but they have been on my Slash Trophy Truck for the last several years and have worked great. I like that they are lighter than my CAC's and I'm trying to lighten up Guido. I also like the scale looks alot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby View Post
Damn thats sweet!!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #1013
Rock Crawler

Pure awesome in your build just awesome i cant wait for the finished product.
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #1014
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I've never run the IROKs so I have no idea how they work. Based on War Pig's testing they seemed to perform decent enough, but I was sold on the looks alone.

I've never run the RPP wheels on a crawler before but they have been on my Slash Trophy Truck for the last several years and have worked great. I like that they are lighter than my CAC's and I'm trying to lighten up Guido. I also like the scale looks alot.

Thanks for the info, and that makes me rethinking CACs, as I'm trying to build mine light as possible for a TTC. Weight breaks parts (I'm a Suzuki/sami guy so I'm use to being the lightest on the trail LOL)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #1015
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
No problem just throwing that out there. I have both on my table so I compared them.

I'm thinking about doing a bellcrank setup, really unsure though. Looks pretty sweet.

I'm curious, are you MIGn the brakeline tube? (or is it rod?)
This steering setup has been a pain to get working, I think it'll be good now that I have bearings in the bellcrank. I may have to make another bellcrank to get a bit more steering throw but I'm gonna try a few things first.

Yes, I MIG weld everything. I have a little 110v machine with gas and it works beautifully. 99% of the tube is tube and not solid rod, it took some time to get good at reliably welding the tube without burning through but I got it down pretty good now.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #1016
I wanna be Dave

Good to hear, I can weld, and did some brakeline the other day, with .030 wire and stargon, but didnt clean it/weld it completely around. Just got a little 110v lincoln 140, works great for Samurai fab work and general use.

Thanks for the help. Ill have to go get some tubing and practice coping/welding it
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #1017
Metal shaper

Great updates man. All the fab parts are looking good and functional. Is front suspension like death, comes in threes? First Norm, then me, now you. LOL! Just glad we all got our stuff lined out and relatively easy. Wish I could be in Washington for all the fun.

Carter Fab & Machine: Hand Made Customs
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #1018
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89lxmorepower View Post
Pure awesome in your build just awesome i cant wait for the finished product.
Thanks man.
Quote:
Thanks for the info, and that makes me rethinking CACs, as I'm trying to build mine light as possible for a TTC. Weight breaks parts (I'm a Suzuki/sami guy so I'm use to being the lightest on the trail LOL)
Yup, I'm trying to make Guido more agile, plus with a big horsepower motor heavy wheels cause more breakage like you said.

My good friend Ace has a Sami on 33's and he regularly shows up (or at least keeps up) with all the guys on 40"+ tires. Sami's are awesome.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #1019
I wanna be Dave

Well maybe I will get to see you in the future with Guido. My build isnt going to be as cool as yours but once it gets rolling you should check it out, my thread is pretty boring right now lol.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #1020
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Well maybe I will get to see you in the future with Guido. My build isnt going to be as cool as yours but once it gets rolling you should check it out, my thread is pretty boring right now lol.
I'll go look for it. You won't be at NWSC?

Tags
bronco, guido, holmes hobbies, irok, rc crawler, scale, top truck challenge, ttc, vanquish, wraith axles

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-scale-rigs/70328-guido-scale-ttc-bronco-2015-scale-nats-updates.html
Posted By For Type Date
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 01-20-2012 01:57 AM
Axial 2010 MSD Scale Nationals - Página 2 - TwistedAndes This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:41 PM
Staffware´s Brownie wird KOH Bronco - Seite 4 - Axial Wraith 2,2" - rockcrawler.de This thread Refback 10-10-2011 01:08 PM

Guido: Scale TTC Bronco 2015 Scale Nats Updates - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OMG... 2012 Scale Nats TTC teaser, just a few days late toyofast Scale Videos! 10 11-14-2015 08:10 PM
RC4WD SCALE JAMBOREE QUÉBEC 2015 The biggest Scale event in Canada danbillyboo Competitions 26 10-04-2015 09:54 PM
PinchFlat’s MSD Scale Nats TTC Entry - Sami Buggy PinchFlat 1.9 Scale Rigs 127 05-09-2011 10:57 PM