Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4PL has great distance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #1

Default 4PL has great distance

I know distance isn't a real issue with crawling, but it is if you want to run other types of RCs with your 4PL too. So I did a little test to see how the 4PL compares to the 4PK, as far as distance is concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yjVN7p04hU
Killer RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Nice, shows that not all 2.4 is created equally.
dragrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

so about 2 and a half football fields on a RTR radio. that should cover almost all radio needs for distance..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
20K Club

Nice test! I'll link it in the 4PK and 4PL threads. I am kind of surprised the 614 RX went that distance as it only has one antenna like the 4PL RX, while the 603FS has two antennas (one internal, one external).
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
so about 2 and a half football fields on a RTR radio. that should cover almost all radio needs for distance..
Another part of this test that is hard to gauge is at what point you will start to get glitching though. That is a hard test to do though.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Great tes.

I'd love to see a 604 receiver put in there as that what come stock with the 4PK. I do believe it should be the same as the 603 how ever.
Another one that is a very popular radio is the DX3R with the 3100 receiver as it's the stock receiver for that radio. I am a Futaba guy but I just picked up a DX3R and 3 3100 receivers for $75 off a local here as well as there are a bunch of die hard Spektrum users here. I'd love to see that head to head test.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Another part of this test that is hard to gauge is at what point you will start to get glitching though. That is a hard test to do though.
I would put that right up there with the part where you cant see the vehicle anymore.

Even a 5B is hard to see after its a football field away..
Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
I would put that right up there with the part where you cant see the vehicle anymore.

Even a 5B is hard to see after its a football field away..
I don't know about you but I drive all my RC's while I am riding in a helicopter so this is very important to me
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Great tes.

I'd love to see a 604 receiver put in there as that what come stock with the 4PK. I do believe it should be the same as the 603 how ever.
Another one that is a very popular radio is the DX3R with the 3100 receiver as it's the stock receiver for that radio. I am a Futaba guy but I just picked up a DX3R and 3 3100 receivers for $75 off a local here as well as there are a bunch of die hard Spektrum users here. I'd love to see that head to head test.
I've tried the DX3R with the 3100 and 3520 rx and they don't even come close to the futaba, that is why i made the change to futaba from spektrum. Worth every penny!
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
I don't know about you but I drive all my RC's while I am riding in a helicopter so this is very important to me
Well your signal should really improve then. 2.4 is line of sight the lack of trees in the way should really stretch your distance do you fly the helicopter and drive the R/C at the same time that would be impressive
Old 01-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default cool

Thats nice to see .I also run nitro rc boats so ill have to pick up a 4pl. So i can run just 1 radio.
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Great info, thanks for doing this. Yeah it would be cool to see a comparison against spektrum, but that just opens a whole other can of worms with the losing camp complaining about the testing method, test conditions, etc. I like this method because it is just showing when the receivers start to lose their connection, and in all cases is probably way beyond what most people would drive a vehicle anyway. To me the range/interference/glitch testing is much more interesting on the air side of things because there are many instances when you can get into range trouble when flying. I agree that this test shows that we should be safe under all conditions with any of these radios. Nice work!
rod.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #13

This test is only part of the story. Long distance doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be a glitch-proof radio. That kind of test would take a lot more time.

Like, I highly doubt that I could actually drive a car 700 feet with that crappy HPI radio. Once the receiver is mounted in the car, down low to the ground, I bet that the distance gets cut in half.

I would like to get a couple Spekys and see how they would do in this same test. I'll see what I can drum up.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Nice selection of TX & RX's. A butt load of money
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhead View Post
Nice selection of TX & RX's. A butt load of money
Business write-off.