Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Testing Punk Rock Crawling Steering Computer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Testing Punk Rock Crawling Steering Computer

I have been testing one of the Punk Rock Crawling Steering Computer (PRCSC) for Robin at Clod Mod Racing. The PRCSC, is a small computer that plugs into your receiver channels 1 and 3. The front and rear servos then plug into the PRCSC. This gives your third channel switch the capability to switch between three steering modes if you have a 3 position third channel switch.

The three steering modes are as follows:

(1) Normal Dual Steering (4WS)
(2) Rear Lockout Steering (2WS)
(3) Crabwalk Dual Steering (Crab)

If you only have a 2 position third channel switch, there is a small switch on the PRCSC where you can select either 4WS/2WS or 4WS/Crab modes.

I have an expensive JR XS3Pro that I had hoped to use for my super crawlers but found out that the 3rd channel can't drive the rear servo independently. Apparently, many of the newer pistol grip controllers have these limitations. I bought several cheapo TQ3s and have been using them. The TQ3 works fine with the added 3-position switch by itself, albeit half the time I hit the toggle switch in the wrong direction when under pressure. What kind of pressure do we have when playing with our toy trucks???!!!

Anyway, the PRCSC is truly a "plug and play" unit. It took all of a couple minutes to install it and hook it up. There is a trim pot for each servo to center them and off you go.
I run my servos directly off of my ESCs so as not to have to hassle with a receiver pack or other voltage source. I use high quality ESCs like Super Roosters, Super Dutys, and Rebel 2s and am happy with the servo power and response. The PRCSC didn’t seem to take any noticeable amount of the available servo power.

The PRSCS is great in that if it is in 2WS and you throw the switch it goes into 4WS immediately and you can turn much tighter. I played with the Crab mode but I don’t really use this type of steering in normal crawling situations. It will switch back and forth between 2WS and 4WS and back again as fast as you can throw the switch.

So, bottom line is I don’t like it……..I LOVE IT! I would even consider using for comps as the steering mode is so predictable when you hit the switch.

Great job Robin…..keep the innovative products coming.

Stick Clod that was previously full time 4WS

NN Clod that was using independent rear steer from modded TQ3

SW2 that was using independent rear steer from the modded TQ3

Controllers I used with the PRCSC

Jeeper Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
RCC Addict

cool man
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Jeeper, Let me know if you would be interested in reviewing the Dig Steer Computer. -PunkRC
PunkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hey Punk,

Yeah, I might be interested. I am contemplating building another clod based rig right now. I have most everything already except two ESC's that are the same. I would think you would want to use 2 identical ones, yes? I have a brand new Novak Crawler and a used Super Rooster. Have you tried the Dig/Steer with different ESCs?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

question?
I'm not really getting it. Sorry.
If my JR-R1 can allready do the 3 options you have what would the benefits be to this little computer.
And a moded tq3 would do the same thing as those options with a 3 postion switch or even a proportional set up.

I'm not good with electronics and why I'm asking. TO LEARN.

I also didnt' get the dig thing either. If your allready using the 3rd channel as a dig what is the computer for?
Please help me understand. Seriously.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Double J,

The unit I tested is for steering only. It allows you to use one of the newer radios that only have a 2 position 3rd channel switch to have 2 modes of rear steering. I my case, I choose to have the 2WS steer and 4WS modes. The 2WS mode locks out the rear steering completely which makes it stable for most crawling. I can flip my 3rd channel switch for 4WS which allows both axles to steer together for a reduced turning radius.

You are correct, a modified TQ3 will basically do the same thing. I have a modified TQ3 and am largely happy with it. As you know, it's limitations are the number of channels and cumbersome crystals and being AM it's prone to some glitching. I got my JR XS3 Pro with a rig I bought and was disappointed that I couldn't control the rear independently. I had been using a y-harness on my clod which isn't the best for sure. This computer solved this problem and gives me two different steering modes that are good enough for probably 98% of all my crawling needs.

As I understand it, the dig/steer unit has the same steering functions but will allow putting the rear ESC in neutral so the front ESC can do a dig and pivot around the rear wheels as they are stopped. I think this is better than just cutting power to the rear motor like others have done as the rear ESC can be adjusted to provide a slight reverse to the motor so the axle won't roll forward. This will allow for tighter turns.

I hope this explanation helps. Correct me if wrong on this PunkRC.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
question?
I'm not really getting it. Sorry.
If my JR-R1 can allready do the 3 options you have what would the benefits be to this little computer.
And a moded tq3 would do the same thing as those options with a 3 postion switch or even a proportional set up.

I'm not good with electronics and why I'm asking. TO LEARN.

I also didnt' get the dig thing either. If your allready using the 3rd channel as a dig what is the computer for?
Please help me understand. Seriously.
With a TQ-3 type setup you only get full left, full right, or center on the rear steering. What this does is turn the rear tires proportional to the front tires. If the front tires are turned a little then the rear tires turn a little.
You can use this with a TQ-3 modded with a three position switch. Then you get:
Tq3 switch in position 1: 4 wheel steering from only the steering wheel with proportional rear steering.
TQ3 switch in position 2: 2 wheel steering.
TQ3 switch in position 3: 4 wheel crab steering from only the steering wheel with proportional rear steering.

The real big benefit I see is that you can use this with a 3ch radio that has only a 2 position 3rd channel (such as the DX3.0) to run 4 wheel steering.
Ch3 switch in position 1: 4 wheel steering from only the steering wheel with proportional rear steering.
Ch3 switch in position 2: 4 wheel crab steering from only the steering wheel with proportional rear steering.
or
Ch3 switch in position 1: 2 wheel steering.
Ch3 switch in position 2: 4 wheel steering from only the steering wheel with proportional rear steering.

Sounds like a nice piece of equipment. Correct me if I'm wrong on the proportional thing Jeeper Creeper.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 09-13-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Hey Grizz,

Yes, when you have the rear steering activated it is proportional with the front steering. That is true for either 4WS where the servos go in opposite directions so you can turn sharper or in Crab mode where they go in the same direction so the rig will move kinda sideways while in forward or reverse.

The 2 position dip switch on the PRCSC will allow for 2 modes in each position. It will allow for either 4WS/2WS or 4WS/Crab modes. For me the 4WS/Crab mode is the least useful when crawling but fun for bashing around. When crawling in 4WS I find that my rigs roll over too easy with the rear tire turned under. I run in 2WS (front only) unless I need to make a tight turn or need to have the front and rear hunt for traction on a climb.

You are right Grizz, the big benefit is you can use that high dollar radio that you thought would allow for independent rear steer but found out otherwise after you got it home. It really is a slick unit.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Awesome comments....

I dont think you will have any issues runnign different ESC's with this. Just make sure you clip one of the units red wires as to not have the BEC's fighting. It you can run them in a y harness and have good results, this will do the same thing.

Double J, Yeah, this gets a little confusing..... I have two (going on three+) products that all look almost the same, but do different things. The names sound the same too.... My webpage is still in the getting updated phase......

Dual Steer Computer
- This does the options on the steering like you guys said exactly. It does use the steering and a extra channel.
Dig Steer Computer - This will allow you to add dig steer two ways. It is always hooked into your ESC channel. Then either use a extra channel and turn it on/off with a switch or use the steering channel and turn it on/off with a mostly neutral throttle and turned steering for a few seconds. (the second option does not require an extra channel, will work on a 2 channel system or a three that is already using ch3 for rear steer....

Here is an Idea #1 - Would guys like the option of toggling on/off either the front or rear esc? This is done by (#1) Ch3 up momentary to toggle front ESC and Ch3 down momentary to toggle rear ESC. The ch3 will be the return to center type switch. Or (#2) Nuetral Left Delay toggles Front and Neutral Right Delay toggles Rear ESC.

Question #1 Would that system provide any advantage that anyone is looking for?

Question #2 Would guys like to toggle dual or crab steer on a 2ch radio by doing a Neutral-Turn-Delay combination?

Question #3
Would guys like a dig steer unit for shaftys that merely actuates a servo to engage/disengage a driveline?

By the way, on the newer units, the CPU type chip is replacable, so if you want a different setup for your dig or dual steer you can buy a differently programmed chip. Is that good?

I want to make stuff guys want. What do you guys want?

Last edited by PunkRC; 09-13-2007 at 07:55 PM.
PunkRC is offline   Reply With Quote