Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Arizona

Notices

Thread: Supporting your local shop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
It's a scale thing

Default Supporting your local shop

I have a question for all you guys that buy from big box stores.
What would it take to move your shopping carts to a local place?
Prices, shipping fee, selection of parts???

Any positive feedback is welcome. Give me an idea of what you want to see and I'll do my best to try to bring your ideas to a reality.
Bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Supporting your local shop

Wow Ben, how did this come about, the TCS team driver? Congrats!

Product selection has been the biggest reason for me purchasing from other vendors in the past, one stop shopping. When you've got to pay for shipping I'd rather pay it once then two or even three times.

I would much rather give Kevin my business when I do buy new but that is the main reason why I don't give him as much business as we would both like.

Last edited by bmuzz1; 04-23-2014 at 09:18 PM.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
It's a scale thing

Me and Kevin talked a lot about that today Brian. In my opinion that is the biggest area that needs improvement. Kevin is currently building a new web store that should be fully functional soon. Once that is up and running there will be some product changes, I'm sure. That's kinda my roll with TCS at this time. I'm going to help him bring you guys the products that everyone wants and uses.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good to hear things are moving forward. Kevin and I have talked quite abit about the inventory as well.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #5

I buy the high dollar stuff (kits,esc) from tower and rpp, because of discount codes. But I do buy the rest at local hobby shop. (National hobbies in mesa). I've gone over to tcs's location A few times. I just don't live close by. Most local hobby shops don't stock crawler stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by Klr104; 04-24-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Klr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I am expanding our crawler stock extensively when we get into our new HobbyTown - Phoenix Indoor Karting location at 35th Ave and Greenway Rd.

I will continue to expand more based on customer response, also check with us as we will try and match prices as much as we can.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Try building a sub 5 lb comp crawler or a super out of one of our local hobby shops......ain't gonna happen. I did find tiny gas cans, some tiny rope and misc scale whatnots at the local hobby bench which tells me clearly which direction our hobby is going......my money is spent here on the board supporting what few vendors are still out there making competition crawler parts.....period.
bquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Its far to difficult to cater to us comp guys, its just not very feasible with all the custom parts/materials we use now.

But, that being said, there's no reason we couldn't get electronics, tires, misc supplies, and maybe even wheels through local vendors. This they should be able to compete with online vendors hopefully.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

I think location is a major factor. National is over 50 miles round trip from my house. The new shop, 35th and greenway? Is 57 miles round trip... I'm in Tooky. 10 minutes from the airport, so it's not like I live in BFE.... So I'd rather just order something. And probably save a few bucks... Just sayin.
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I think location is a major factor. National is over 50 miles round trip from my house. The new shop, 35th and greenway? Is 57 miles round trip... I'm in Tooky. 10 minutes from the airport, so it's not like I live in BFE.... So I'd rather just order something. And probably save a few bucks... Just sayin.
you can "just order something" from tcs also,
that's how he got started, and get it next day or day 2.
I live in payson and it works for me. he is competitive on price too.
try him first a few times, then go to rpp or tower or whoever if tcs can't. that's what I usually do...............
BoulderDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #11

I've ordered from TCS. when they have what I want. And I can get it all in one place. Etc. I do like to support my local shops, when they can "support" my habit by having what I need, when I need it. ;) (side note, tried to order foams, just foams, from TCS, on sale. Couple bucks a pair... Shipping was like 18 bucks. For foams. Across town. Yeah, I XNLD that order...)
Old 04-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #12

I would just like to add, Custom builds can get crazy. Hundreds of products in dozens of categories from hundreds of venders through a half dozen distributors... Etc. It would be insane to expect to find everything available for just the scx-10 under one roof... So I think our customization, and drive for the unique, high end bits, is gonna push the consumer to the web. Shops carry rtr and kit stuff, and regionally hot upgrade bits, but that sick custom bit? Rarely... Can't find it local? Google it. Etc. nature of the beast, as it were. The only hook you have in retail, your only real edge, is having one that I can walk out with. Last thing I wanna hear in a shop? "I can order it for you." ... Because I can just go home, or to the car, and order it for a lot less... I'll pay retail all day, but I want instant gratification. I'm also a hands on guy and like to see and handle a product before I throw coin at it. So I WISH there was such a place. But til then....
Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Crawling is a tough market to support, you all just touched on many reasons why and believe me I know as I sit in the middle being a crawler and part of a shop.

But I will say this, I understand times are tough and every dime counts but sometimes supporting local is not about saving buck or two, it's about keeping the local option open for business.
Can you race online or crawl online? buying local when you can supports local in more ways than one....just think about it once an awhile.

Give them a try, call them, stop in and talk to them, see if they can come close.

I know we at HT can't match everyone or get everything but we can try and we ship as well for $5 even when it cost way more.
AZrcdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
It's a scale thing

Thanks for all the input guys this is the information I wanted. TCS is making moves in the direction your looking for, Kevin's new site is up and working, he is also going to add some stuff and getting rid of stuff. Hopefully you will at least look at TCS the next time you need something. As AZdriver said it's not always about a buck. We have to have local shops or this hobby will slowly fade away. And no you probably can't build a comp crawler from one local shop but you can get some things local. Pretty sure you can't build one from one two or three online stores either. Custom one off parts will always be in a specialty market. They will come and go as they have in the past and you will have to find them online.

Hope to see all you scalers and comper next weekend at the Shootout/Tombstone & Cards G6
Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I've ordered some parts from Kevin in the past and went to one of the open houses and bought some stuff as well. I do try to do business at the LHS but local for me is National since I can hit them on my way home from work. It's like an hour drive io TCS. I don't order too much from local places because I don't like paying tax and shipping. I always say, pay shipping and wait or pay tax and get it now.

Sent from the can using Tapatalk
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

When you order from 10 places, and even if you pay shipping from 5 ( $5 is not out of the question, so $25) added to the bill kind of sucks. Probably closer to $8 an order. A LHS is great if it is truly Local. I would gladly drive an hour to shop at a "Fry's Electronics" kind of hobby store, but they are few and really far between.

I think the best bet for a LHS is to stock lots of tires, glue, maybe some random building supplies, wire, deans, etc. And some of the higher breakage parts for the most popular kits. But except for the wraith, there is not much of a "hop up" market in the crawler world. They tend to be the vendors here on RCC.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #17

I'd like to hit an open house at TCS. sounds like I'd be able to ogle and fondle a few things before plopping down cash. I'm a big fan of ogling and fondling... When's the next one? And as for those who've been, is it worth almost an hour drive? Each way? ;)
Old 05-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #18

Where is TCS located?
tlee13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Supporting your local shop - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Local hobby shop phre0n Michigan 6 09-22-2011 10:57 PM
Local shop? snowmaxx Colorado 8 02-16-2010 05:55 PM
Local shop closed :( CSAXIAL Florida 9 12-04-2009 09:29 AM
Local Hobby Shop John Galbreath Jr. Chit Chat 39 11-03-2009 09:42 PM