Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > Arizona

Notices

Thread: Tucson area crawlers GTG(August 25th)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Tucson area crawlers GTG(August 25th)

Well, me and a few select other from Sierra Vista have decided to head to Tucson for some crawling on the 25th...we were hoping that we could meet up with some 'locals' and have a little GTG. We were talking about heading to Gates Pass(at the overloook) and meet at about 1:30pm to do some crawling. Post up if you need directions or more info.

Anyone and everyone is welcome!!

Joe
joemomma95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Sweet!! Now that would be cool!!! I'm in.. just meet at the overlookon top??
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ya, the overlook point on top, not to hard to find...here's directions for some people that have asked me in PM...

Gates Pass is simple to find, I-10 west get off on Speedway, go West, Speedway turns into Gates Pass Rd, follow it until you get to the scenic overlook turnout on the right, that's where the crawl spot is...you'll see a small building(bathroom) near the parking lot, there's another building(kind of a picnic place, all open)up on top of the rocks that I'm pretty sure you can see from the road. If you get to Kinney Rd you've gone to far.

It's on the crest of the hill, when you start going uphill the overlook is at the peak...once you've started going back downhill you've passed the overlook.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thumbs up

Remember, the I-10 Construction Ramp Closures in Tucson will limit you some, Here is the link to the ramp closures with instructions on how to get to speedway from the freeway:
http://www.i10tucsondistrict.com/pdf...fterStage3.pdf

If the instructions aren't clear,

If you are coming from I-19 south(Green Valley, Nogales Ect..) or I-10 westbound(Benson, Sierra Vista, Wilcox Ect..) you will need to take the 29th street exit and use the frontage roads until you reach Speedway and the turn left under the over pass and continue on to Gates Pass.

If are coming from I-10 eastbound(Pheonix, Casa Grande ect..) You will need to use the Prince Rd Exit and use the frontage roads until you reach Speedway and then turn right away from the freeway and continue on to Gates Pass.

Hope this helps.. Anyone need further instructions let me know as I live just about 15 minutes from Speedway and I-10..

Hope to see many there!!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the PM. I currently don't have a crawler. i sold my clod as soon as i joined and my PTI axles are temporarily in use in another project If i'm bored i may show up and shoot the breeze with some crawler fans
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyTundra View Post
Thanks for the PM. I currently don't have a crawler. i sold my clod as soon as i joined and my PTI axles are temporarily in use in another project If i'm bored i may show up and shoot the breeze with some crawler fans

Sounds like a plan, wasn't sure if I should've but I just PMed everyone with Tucson as their location..
Old 08-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Don't forget, the speedway underpass will be closed all weekend long. They are tearing down the bidge.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Don't forget, the speedway underpass will be closed all weekend long. They are tearing down the bidge.
Yeah just heard that on the news this morning!! So the people coming up from I-19(Green Valley, Nogalas) And Westbound I-10(Seirra Vista, Benson, Wilcox, Ect..) will have to continue to the Prince Rd Underpass Turn left Under the Freeway and then turn left again on the frontage road once you get to Speedway turn right on Speedway and continue on to Gates Pass..

Sorry for the confusion!!

See ya there!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You forgot Vail. I am watchin my boys sat. I will probably show, but with out my crawler:-(. On sunday a bunch of us ( i hope ) will be hitting the rock pile at hobbytown. I guess we will be doing it the last sunday of every month. It doesnt look like much, but it packs a punch for 2.2s and newbies
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
You forgot Vail. I am watchin my boys sat. I will probably show, but with out my crawler:-(. On sunday a bunch of us ( i hope ) will be hitting the rock pile at hobbytown. I guess we will be doing it the last sunday of every month. It doesnt look like much, but it packs a punch for 2.2s and newbies

Would love to meet you, even if you don't bring the crawler...might make it out to the Hobbytown pile someday!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #11
RCC Addict

What a great day on the rocks. The weather looked as tho it was going to be cloudy, but cleared up very nicely. I even got a nice sunburn on the face.

I met some really nice people today! Hope to see you guys on the rocks again.

I also saw a few things I need to do better, driving needs help, wheels, and just abit more ground clearance maybe 1/2" or so. The King didn't do too bad tho..

Overall it was a great time with some good people!!! Thank you guys for such a warm welcome to the new guy on the rocks!!

And my beautiful wife bless her heart, wanted to go so bad, just see whats up, when she got there she realized climbing the rocks was not going to be good for her back and joints, So she stayed in the van waiting very patiently for 4 Hours!!! While I played!!! she did not complain once!! Gotta love her!!

Anyway thanx guys!!!!

Last edited by The Real Dogman; 08-25-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Agreed dogman, had a good time. Glad you and Erin could make it out to crawl with us SV people, now we just gotta talk you guys into coming to SV for a crawl.

And ya, your wife was a trooper, at least she got the A/C half way through us being out there.

Had a great time, can't wait to do it again!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Anytime, Joe!! Just let me know, I'm there and maybe I'll have the Axe built by then..
Old 08-26-2007, 09:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

It was good to meet everyone, and I would be happy to come down and check out your area, just give me a little notice so I can plan it out. Joe, do you know if anyone got any photos of the new tuber, and if they would email them to me?

Thanks again for getting everyone together.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Oh that didn't sound good.....

Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Looks like its time to order the rear cvd's!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Looks like its time to order the rear cvd's!

I made two of these from stainless. I guess I will see how they hold up.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:39 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Nigel, Nice!! That should do it, would love to see how that works out!! BTW I got My Axe!! Almost built!!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Dogman View Post
Nigel, Nice!! That should do it, would love to see how that works out!! BTW I got My Axe!! Almost built!!
how would you compare the axles to a wk?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #20
RCC Addict

The Axles on the AX10 seem to be made of similar composite. They are slimer and the Knuckles seem lighter.. The biggest is the turning radius. The Axial axles turn much tighter!! The included aluminum 12mm hexes are nice..

Very nice quality on this kit,,