Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Outside the US > Australia

Notices

Thread: Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 PM   #401

Default Re: Australia

Steven here from Perth, Western Australia, had a deadbolt for a little while now and just starting to get the modifying bug for it. Completely stock bar alloy link and steering kit. Will have to get down and watch a local comp soon!
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #402
Rock Stacker

G'day guys! Mat from Tas here. Been crawling and building for the past 4 years. Now in the process of re-building my Bully2.

Would be interested in meeting up for social crawls with people in the Hobart area. I'd comp if i didn't have to work every weekend! lol I don't think that Tas radio rock crawlers group runs an MOA class though either. Think it's just scale class 1-3. Maybe if there was more MOA interest down here comps might happen?
prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #403

Hi Prophet. Great to hear from you. You are right in saying that those guys just run scale but I know at least one of them Quinny/Overlander has some comp crawlers.

Unfortunately you are in the wrong state as comp crawling can be found in NSW, QLD, WA and SA is starting up too. Another option may be to join us at next year's Nationals. That's how SA started. Leigh came to Nats with his Berg and then started his own comp group after.
Wieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #404
Rock Stacker

Not sure if I ever chimed in on this thread back when I first started...

I'm in Sydney, and trying to build up a comp crawler... was a lot harder than the last time when I bought an almost ready to rock and roll XR10.

Hard to know what to get, and where to look these days...
Underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 04:58 AM   #405

There is a lot of great info on RCC and locally you can get a lot of parts through onetencrawlers.

All the guys who compete in 2.2s can either be found on the forum crawlanz.com or on a few fb pages including.

Western Australian RC Rock Crawlers
NSW RC Rock Crawlers
Crawl Australia New Zealand
CANz Sydney

The Sydney canz comps are just starting up again which will include a bunch of 2.2s MOA and Shafties.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:12 AM   #406
Rock Stacker

Wieman: Thanks mate. I've been thinking for a while this is the wrong state for RC groups, (unless you short course race or short course race. And then there's the short course racers! lol) but hey, wouldn't leave here unless it was in a pine box. lol I may just have to head over to the NATS one year and have a good look-see. Is anybody able to enter? or is it based off the local comp club leaders? Not sure how that whole system works.

Underground: I know where you're coming from mate. I spent ages trying to find decent places to buy from, guys who know what they are talking about.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #407
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wieman View Post
There is a lot of great info on RCC and locally you can get a lot of parts through onetencrawlers.

All the guys who compete in 2.2s can either be found on the forum crawlanz.com or on a few fb pages including.

Western Australian RC Rock Crawlers
NSW RC Rock Crawlers
Crawl Australia New Zealand
CANz Sydney

The Sydney canz comps are just starting up again which will include a bunch of 2.2s MOA and Shafties.

Yeah, thanks dude...a lot quieter than it used to be.

Even the local shops aren't really into any serious crawler type gear.
Oneten looks good...but i still need a base to expand on.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 AM   #408
Rock Stacker

Agreed! The guys at one ten are fantastic to deal with!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:32 AM   #409
Rock Stacker

I'd say go with the bully 2's.
For the price they are great. Pretty much take them out of the box and run them. They don't need a huge amount of money or upgrades to make them a good competitive axle. They are also still in production. Which is a plus, as it means that there will be parts support available for them for a fair while to come.

The XR10's had there good points and bad points. The biggest bad point now is that they have been discontinued for a couple of years. So parts availability and support is getting less and less. So far from what i've read, they also needed a fair few mods and upgrades to make them durable. So cost goes up here.

The Berg's.......can't really say much about them as i haven't really delved into them at all. I've been told the V1's were the best. Not sure why though! lol

Dlux (if you've got a good stash to spend) has some fantastic options available for comp crawlers.
Dravtech has some good stuff as well. i thought about getting the sudu pro and b2 links from there, but then got hold of a Chaotic Crawlers Carbon smash 2.0 here in the classifieds much cheeper. I may still go for the sudo for the kids rig. But the classifieds here are your friend. There are some good bargains to be had if you keep your eye out.

The long and the short of it is that it's your decision which way you go. But stuff is around and available.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:48 AM   #410
Rock Stacker

Thanks Prophet...

(Feelin like big old noob)

Last edited by Underground; 05-26-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:50 AM   #411
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground View Post
Thanks Prophet...

As far as the classifieds are concerned, why is it i cant see them? I can only find the feedback thread down there.

(Feelin like big old noob)
THere are a couple ways to access them.

The first is 30 posts and be a members for at least 30 days here on the forums.

Or buy a green star. It's 20 bucks for the year, and more than worth it in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #412
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
THere are a couple ways to access them.

The first is 30 posts and be a members for at least 30 days here on the forums.

Or buy a green star. It's 20 bucks for the year, and more than worth it in my opinion.
Thanks again mate.

ill go and sort that out
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #413

Anyone can enter the Nats and it really is a lot of fun.

In regards to what to base your build on, it would have to be a Berg or Bully2. But just so you know, this year in Pro, all podium places went to Bergs.

Also look up Hulksta Engineering. He's a local guy who make cf chassis. He does some great work.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #414
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Anyone can enter the Nats and it really is a lot of fun.

In regards to what to base your build on, it would have to be a Berg or Bully2. But just so you know, this year in Pro, all podium places went to Bergs.

Also look up Hulksta Engineering. He's a local guy who make cf chassis. He does some great work.
Sounds like it might make a good family vacation! lol

Ah yeah i'd forgotten to mention him too! The riddler pro chassis looks awesome. I Especially like the idea of the 5th shock.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 AM   #415
Rock Stacker

I had a read up of the Crawl ANZ forum for the rules of 2.2 pro. Found this:

3. 2.2 Pro Class:

3.1 Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 317mm.

3.2 Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. Tires may be modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 152mm.

3.3 Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering only.

Are there any other specs that have to be adhered to? Width or size of chassis?
Do bodiless have to have painted panels? or can they remain clear? Or can you run without them at all? Is there a track width restriction to go with the wheelbase restrictions? anything else i may have missed?

Just while i am building my rig now it would be good to know all of these this. Rather than build something out of spec and then not be able to comp it.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophet View Post
I had a read up of the Crawl ANZ forum for the rules of 2.2 pro. Found this:

3. 2.2 Pro Class:

3.1 Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 317mm.

3.2 Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. Tires may be modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed outer diameter of 152mm.

3.3 Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering only.

Are there any other specs that have to be adhered to? Width or size of chassis?
Do bodiless have to have painted panels? or can they remain clear? Or can you run without them at all? Is there a track width restriction to go with the wheelbase restrictions? anything else i may have missed?

Just while i am building my rig now it would be good to know all of these this. Rather than build something out of spec and then not be able to comp it.
You must have panels but they don't have to be painted. There is a body panel size minimum that you must meet that's in the regs.

There is no track width restriction but obviously the gates feel narrower as your rig gets wider.

Bodiless rules

1.4 Bodiless vehicles:
1.4.1 Must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame.
1.4.2 2.2 Sportsman Class overall bodiless dimensions must be no less than 203mm long, 76mm wide and 95mm tall.
1.4.3 2.2 PRO Class overall bodiless dimensions must be no less than 203mm long, 76mm wide and 76mm tall.
1.4.4 The roof must be raised a minimum of 25mm from the main chassis to resemble a cockpit.
1.4.5 The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 25mm tall.
1.4.6 Bodiless vehicles should resemble a 1:1 vehicle.
1.4.7 Bodiless vehicles must have solid bonnet panel, solid roof panel and a minimum of 2 solid side-panels. These panels MUST be separate pieces from the structural frame.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #417
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You must have panels but they don't have to be painted. There is a body panel size minimum that you must meet that's in the regs.

There is no track width restriction but obviously the gates feel narrower as your rig gets wider.

Bodiless rules

1.4 Bodiless vehicles:
1.4.1 Must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame.
1.4.2 2.2 Sportsman Class overall bodiless dimensions must be no less than 203mm long, 76mm wide and 95mm tall.
1.4.3 2.2 PRO Class overall bodiless dimensions must be no less than 203mm long, 76mm wide and 76mm tall.
1.4.4 The roof must be raised a minimum of 25mm from the main chassis to resemble a cockpit.
1.4.5 The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 25mm tall.
1.4.6 Bodiless vehicles should resemble a 1:1 vehicle.
1.4.7 Bodiless vehicles must have solid bonnet panel, solid roof panel and a minimum of 2 solid side-panels. These panels MUST be separate pieces from the structural frame.
OK. So i pass all of that except one bit.

The topper on this is only 62mm wide. The topper is the widest part of it.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #418

Can you just add wider spacers? It looks great.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 AM   #419
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Can you just add wider spacers? It looks great.
I could. Needs 7mm either side to be within spec.

Have a few bits floating around that it could be done with.

Only Cross bars i have for the top of the can though are like three times the thickness. So it would look really odd with the two way different thickness braces.

The other thought was that i might affect the upper mounts? As the cab also covers the rod ends and has the upper link screws go through it.

Also then the side panels don't screw into the lower mounts either, as they would be too far away. (panels are bent to conform the original shape. So would have to add spacers there too.

Also is going to add weight by adding extra material.

Forgive my newbness here but i would have thought the Chaotic chassis were built to comp specifications? Or have the rules changed over the last few years since they ceased production?

Is there anywhere that has a list of chassis that are within comp specs now?
Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #420

Id personally space out the shocks to make up the width. Hardware cant be used to get width (bolts) but spacers and shocks can. Have a look at the riddler and remedy chassis. They use shock spacers to gain the required width
lowndsy is offline   Reply With Quote