Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: stock shocks set for droop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default stock shocks set for droop

i've been reading some threads about droop shocks which left me a little confused. i just set mine up quickly with the kit supplied by tcs for my new edge chassis. i basically took the stock shock, removed the external springs, poured out a little oil that was supplied with the ax10 kit (maybe leaving about a quarter of an inch from the top of the body), and just dropped the internal spring in the shock body, and screwed on the cap. is this the incorrect way of setting up a droop shock? if so could someone please break down the setup procedures for a droop shock. i thought if the spring was under the piston then the shock would be at full compression defeating the purpose of having shocks but i read somewhere that the spring should be under the piston and not on top??? thank you all for any info...
madmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

yeah, the spring goes under the cap to compress the shock. the idea being that it sucks the chassis down for a super low cg, and when your truck needs to flex, the wheel will drop away from the chassis instead of going up to it.

you cannot think of the shocks on a crawler as shocks really, they are more like dampeners and limiters. they slow down the articulation and limit the flex, as opposed to absorbing impact.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

what you have done is pretty much it. I experimented with different rate shock oils as well due to torque twist on steep climbs. For me 7000 rate diff oil in the rear shocks and 30 rate shock oil in the front worked well. you can leave the kit supplied spacers on the shock shaft (outside of shock) or make some up to get the right belly clearence you like. Hope that helps
SkR8pN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
ghetto fabulous newbie

FYI, you might pop a lot of shock caps with the droop setup. might want to super glue the caps on Even better buy some aluminum shocks.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxxed View Post
i thought if the spring was under the piston then the shock would be at full compression
The spring should be underneath the piston and the shock should be at full compression.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys for the help. the more and more i read on these droop setups the more i'm starting to learn. i did not realize the shocks are supposed to be compressed, hence the droop effect. i don't have mine set up like that at the moment. i will have to try it out to see if it's for me. i do like the higher clearance in my ax10 with the internal springs on the top of the pistons. i was getting some binding with the bent links and shocks and now with the internal springs set opposite of the droop setup eliminated that with the edge chassis. the amount of articulation i've gained with internal springs vs. the stock firm springs is night and day. again, thank you for the help...

Last edited by madmaxxed; 01-10-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: adding to post.
madmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
FYI, you might pop a lot of shock caps with the droop setup. might want to super glue the caps on Even better buy some aluminum shocks.
i've never had a problem, just dont put to much oil in and put the cap on when the shock is fully compressed
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote