Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: bent link/driveshaft question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default bent link/driveshaft question?

I have been looking at getting some bent links for my ax, but I notice that they leave the drive shaft quite exposed to the rocks. has anyone experienced any issues of premature drive shaft failure due to their bent links?
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

No problems, the driveshafts spin so they don't really get hung up on things either.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've had mine get beat up a little bit over the past 2 weeks but it hasn't been real bad damage (scratches/rock rash). I figure the driveshafts are the weak spot in the drive line and I strip one every now and again anyways so them getting beat up a little is no big deal.
ky_18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

Default truth about bent links

when you replace your lower links with bent links, you should consider moving the upper links back in the chassis a little (for the back axle). since 2.2 doesn't allow rear steer anyway, you don't have to consider how the change in caster will affect steering. the benefit is an decrease in pinion angle relative to the driveshaft, so it's easier on the driveline as well as keeping the driveshaft out of harm's way.
when i was building up my ax, i decided that the bent links were useful in the back but not the front so i never had to decide between camber and steering. if you're going to use bent in the front as well, try to find a way to keep the imaginary line between top and bottom of the knuckles perpendicular to the ground.

Last edited by 32inchTSLs; 01-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.
32inchTSLs is offline   Reply With Quote