Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Dig build thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #181
Rock Stacker

Nice job!
I bet thats a bit cheaper than a vanquish and just as affective! Good Job!
rockpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #182
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Dig build thread.

I finally had all the parts together and the time to give this a try. In theory I got it all sorted but I couldnt get the shafts to slide easy enough and burnt out the brand new hitech mini
How are you guys opening up the small slot on the shaft cleanly?
Heres pics anyway mines a little different as its a torsion chassis so the plate to hold the slide from twisting was a little trickey to work.

Nik
Nik6189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #183
TSK
Shelf queen

Whether it's a torsion or sprung chassis doesn't make a difference. They both got 4 link (or 3 if stock) to locate the a or relative to the chassis.

The trick to clean, bind free movement of the shaft is to cut it, then clean off the excess flashing with an exacto knife. Carefully trim out the narrow spline grooves with the exacto, and you can slightly bevel the leading edge of the male end so that it looks like the stock piece. On the female side, just clean up everything as nice as possible. You can try bevelig the inside edge with the exacto as well. A graphite dry line should also help. Stay away from oils as they will attract dust and cause binding.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #184
Quarry Creeper

I tried it with a file and couldnt get it clean enough. How do the male shafts hold up? I run traxxas shafts and use 2 female with a piece of male to connect as it twists easier.
I love the weight saving and cheapness of the home made dig but I might weaken and buy vp
Nik
Old 02-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #185
TSK
Shelf queen

Stored shafts are the way to go. If you are using the setup you described, you will want to glue the cut male end into the female, and leave the untouched finished end as the slider into the other female.

What did you use to cut the shafts? A cut off wheel makes the cleanest cuts, and then just clean them up with the exacto.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #186
Quarry Creeper

I tried to widen the grooves in the shaft with a cut off wheel but that didnt work. So combinating body knife and small file Ive got it running alot smoother only trouble is I fried my brand new mini hotec so I held a full size servo on by hand and it kinda worked so I,l make a full size mount tomorrow.
Only problem I see now is lack of adjustable end points on the 3rd channel on the traxxas.
So do you guys run althread in the male shafts to strengthen them?
Nik
Old 02-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #187
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik6189 View Post
I tried to widen the grooves in the shaft with a cut off wheel but that didnt work. So combinating body knife and small file Ive got it running alot smoother only trouble is I fried my brand new mini hotec so I held a full size servo on by hand and it kinda worked so I,l make a full size mount tomorrow.
Only problem I see now is lack of adjustable end points on the 3rd channel on the traxxas.
So do you guys run althread in the male shafts to strengthen them?
Nik
I don't run all thread in the males. If it's done right, it shold be fine.

And you'll burn up the full size just as fast as the 225 without end point adjustmenst.

Buy this, and run it on your thrid channel. it gives you end point adjustment. it's a little bulky but super easy to use. and it's cheap.

180° Servo Stretcher

Last edited by TSK; 02-06-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #188
RCC Addict

OR buy a new 3 channel radio, most have endpoint adjustment. Check out losikids hacked gt3b's.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #189
Quarry Creeper

I did have my eye on one of losikids flyskys but I think the main reason the servo burnt out is its rated at 4kg and I couldnt even slide the dig buy hand!!
I had a spare full size servo so I adapted it and got the right length rod and drilled new holes on the servo horn to get the traval I needed. It only needs to stop at the lock end the other side isnt as critical.
I beat on for 5mins and it worked great.
Although first impressions were now Im worrying about dig rather than concentrating on driving.
I still need to tidy it up and make up some spare shafts for the comp on sunday.
Nik
Old 02-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #190
TSK
Shelf queen

Glad you got it to work. Instead of focusing on usuing dig, just run like you normally do, and when you need tight turning for line correction, or when you get to a climb where you KNOW you have the tendency to flip, then engage dig. Dig is one of those things that should only come into action when you need it, and should not be invasive to where you are constantly thinking on where or not to use it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 AM   #191
Quarry Creeper

I used the dig at the comp and it worked great in and out every time. Only problem was with the high grip of the rocks we were on I destroyed a traxxas front shaft on the 2nd obsticle. It was a fresh shaft and the one before it had been in for 3 comps with plenty of practice inbetween.
Luckily I had a interjunk metal shaft to get me through to a 1st place finish
Nik
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 AM   #192
Quarry Creeper

I got the set u to work pretty well but now I twisting the plastic shafts
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #193

I made one yesterday and it works flawlessly. Thanks to Rockcrawler for posting pics and howto.
redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #194

holy cow this sounds complicated to me but i'm sure it's overly simple. pictures would be great if they would open for me. any suggestions? they seem to take forever to open.
DemetriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #195

Hi, great write up but have trouble opening the pics...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
cil111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #196
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil111 View Post
Hi, great write up but have trouble opening the pics...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
That;s because the image host doesn't have the file anymore. Just buy a VP dig if you need one. far more reliable and it is the best on the market, although most shaft rigs don't run dig anymore.