Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: A day off, a bottle of liquid plumber and a dremel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A day off, a bottle of liquid plumber and a dremel

Had the day off, and Im waiting on some more parts to come in, so I figured what the heck. I had some liquid plumber under the counter, the thick stuff. Put some in a bowl and started to throw a couple extra spacers I had in there to see what would happen. In about ten minutes all the horrid green was gone and the aluminum had a nice satin finish on it. So once again I took it apart and started dipping all my parts in there. Rinsed with warm water then threw em in a bowl of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Wow, that works nice. But the aluminum and the old anodize wasnt very consistent and had some blotchy spots. So I went to the garage, strapped the dremel to the bench with some nylon webbing to hold it steady and then ran amuck.............

Name:  polish.JPG
Views: 881
Size:  96.0 KB

She's not even close to done. Still need to make my electronics plates and get some 1/4 square stock aluminum for the upper cross members to mount the body mounts on top, and on and on and on. Still waiting on my C's, knuckles, rims. More to follow. Just wanted to show ya what boredom can do to a man...............
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

...if you're still bored, you could make your chassis silver too.
NinJato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you could.... What brand is this mystery miracle worker?
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Liquid plumber........ 10 to 15 minutes, stir it around a bit to while the parts are in there. If the parts are right next to each other it wont strip the anodize. I used a pair of hemostats to check the parts and keep an eye on how it was workin. And because its the thick stuff it wont get in the female threads and eat those.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith View Post
Had the day off, and Im waiting on some more parts to come in, so I figured what the heck. I had some liquid plumber under the counter, the thick stuff. Put some in a bowl and started to throw a couple extra spacers I had in there to see what would happen. In about ten minutes all the horrid green was gone and the aluminum had a nice satin finish on it. So once again I took it apart and started dipping all my parts in there. Rinsed with warm water then threw em in a bowl of water and baking soda to neutralize the acid. Wow, that works nice. But the aluminum and the old anodize wasnt very consistent and had some blotchy spots. So I went to the garage, strapped the dremel to the bench with some nylon webbing to hold it steady and then ran amuck.............

Attachment 54070

She's not even close to done. Still need to make my electronics plates and get some 1/4 square stock aluminum for the upper cross members to mount the body mounts on top, and on and on and on. Still waiting on my C's, knuckles, rims. More to follow. Just wanted to show ya what boredom can do to a man...............
That is exactly what me and my son did, but we used oven cleaner. Then went to Mothers alu. polish, they came out awesome
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

use mguirs crome wheel cleaner it starts to take the green off as soon as you dip it in and it comes of in minuts!
shenlonco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Smile

looks nice i guess, i happen to like the green, its what sold me i bought one last week, i guess ill leave mine. ;)
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrucknut View Post
looks nice i guess, i happen to like the green, its what sold me i bought one last week, i guess ill leave mine. ;)
wow:neutral: you bought it because its green
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
wow:neutral: you bought it because its green
BLING,BLING,BLING
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow thats nice, no more green and gleaming. I like it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #11

i still see green trans spacers LOL
red devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Yea, I used to work in a polishing shop when I was a kid so I just had to do it. She is aweful purty to tell ya the truth. The only green left is the bushings on the tranny, but I got a r2d on its way so I aint gonna bother. She will have MSD beadlocks polished as well. Now just gotta paint the proline rockstar all purty too. And believe it or not, I was thinking green, lol. Kinda liked the looks of Jasons rig.
My 2008 2.2 comp rig
Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #13

What polishing compound did you use to polish everything? Did you use the dremel compound? Looks awesome!!!
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

nice i want to get rid of the green too so if you dont polish it it looks as if it has been either brushed or bead blasted? 10-15 mins of cook time @ 375* hahahahaha?
Panchira! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yep, used the red rouge. Would have used some green rouge to since it is a finer grit but didnt have any. Its a crawler so I dont want to spend to much time, its just gonna get scratched anyhow

Yea, after its stripped it looks like a fine bead blast. But the finish is not consistent. It has blotches. Thats why I polished it all up. You dont have to cook it tho, just a bowl and 10 minutes or so.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #16

why stop there do the side rails what did you polish it with
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote