Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Shock Configuration options-Semi Droop Componets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Shock Configuration options-Semi Droop Componets

I have spent the last several evenings reading on the Search term Droop (all forum depts).
This question is not on the Pros or Cons of the Droop analysis.

My interest is in the physical combinations of shock body, springs & oils.

Coil over shock setup: Piston & Oil are in the shock body. The spring is external and sits over the shock body Pulling the piston down.

Internal Spring Standard setup: Piston & Oil in the shock body With the Spring sitting Above the piston Pushing the piston down.

Droop Setup 1: Piston & Oil (heavier than the above 2 setups) in the shock body with the Spring Below the piston Pushing it Up /Closed/short.

Droop Setup 1: Piston & Oil (very heavy) in the shock body without a the Spring .

Semi-Droop Setup: Piston & Oil (heavy) in the shock body with the Spring Below the piston Pushing it Up /Closed. Is There an External Spring as well? If So what are the required Spring characteristics & placement realitive to the shock body length?

Edit: I am running the HPI Blue Hot Bodies Treaded Shock tube with the supplied springs.

Thank you for your considerations,

Flynfrog

Last edited by Flynfrog; 01-24-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Flynfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

sounds like you pretty much understand the concepts.

I'm running "semi-droop" on my ax and so far I like it the best (of what I have tried) I run an internal spring under the piston and an external spring with spacers until it picked the ride height UP to where I wanted it.
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You don't have to run any internal spring at all. My sons runs full droop using traxxas big bores with 50wt oil and no springs, works awesome
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Im running stock shocks in a 60/40 configuration that work great. Put 3/8 diam 3/4" long soft springs inside under the piston and run axial white front and green rear springs outside, stock internal disk dampers and 30 wt oil.

Also added 1/4" spacers bettween the shock rod ends and spring cups to limit uptravel a bit and add a bit of preload. Rear shocks and links are mounted 1/4" further outward on the axle end. Upper links lengthened to 70mm with relocated mounting holes on the frame. Tires have 3 oz stick on wieght each.

With this set up my lower links are 100% horizontal at ride height I have about 3/4" of uptravel and 1/2" of droop as well as barely any torgue twist.

Would like to find some threaded alum shock bodies the same length as the stockers and I think it would be perfect
Ax-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax-hole View Post
Would like to find some threaded alum shock bodies the same length as the stockers and I think it would be perfect
Like these: http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=766
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

^^^^^^^ I have those and run them with traxxas big bore springs which are much shorter for my partial droop setup. I have about 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch uptravel with the stock bumpstops on the shaft outside but it can be adjusted for more with those shocks.

If you run partial droop you need to make sure you have good link geometry. Full droop or fully extended shocks (like stock ax-10 setup) hide bad geometry because the shocks are bottomed out or fully extended. So if you have noticeable torque twist stock it's gonna be alot worse on a partial droop set up.

Ride height

Last edited by miller; 01-24-2008 at 10:06 AM.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Add'l Info: I am running the HPI Blue Hot Bodies Treaded Shock tube with the supplied springs.

Thank you for your considerations,

Flynfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Flynfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Miller, are you running any springs inside the shocks as well? I see the shorter outer springs you use look like they float around when it droops.

Think you could use those shocks with soft axial outer springs and an inside spring under the damper to shorten it but still let it droop a bit? Maybe have to use the axial rods too if there the same diameter.

Can you tell me what the lenght is from the bottom of the cap to the bottom of the shock body? Thanks.
Ax-hole is offline   Reply With Quote