Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Rear TCS Aluminum Boomerang Upper Link?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #1

Default Rear TCS Aluminum Boomerang Upper Link?

I want to install the TCS Aluminum Boomerang Upper Link in the rear. I know i need to remove the current piece that connects the 2 upper links together with the traditional rod ends....Does anyone know what size rod ends I need? They come in all different female thread sizes. Also...How long are the stock end links from end to end (or eye to end)....I dont actually have the truck yet.

Last edited by cbauer210; 01-25-2008 at 07:31 AM.
cbauer210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

You can use the spare rod ends that come with the kit.
motormad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The rod ends are 3mm. As fro the lenght of the upper links, I extended mine by 6mm. Hope that helps.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm not trying to jack your thread, but I put my TCS 4 link on last night (front and rear) and with a 4mm spacer behind each rod end I couldn't get it to flex at all without it hitting my shocks and stopping my articulation. Has anyone else had this problem? I had to put an additional 6mm spacer behind each upper link just to clear the shocks so there is 12mm worth of spacer behind each upper link
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmy View Post
I'm not trying to jack your thread, but I put my TCS 4 link on last night (front and rear) and with a 4mm spacer behind each rod end I couldn't get it to flex at all without it hitting my shocks and stopping my articulation. Has anyone else had this problem? I had to put an additional 6mm spacer behind each upper link just to clear the shocks so there is 12mm worth of spacer behind each upper link
Post a picture, I have them on all 3 of my Axials and they work great. Just use the extra rod ends in the kit.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmy View Post
Please post pics so we can really understand what the problem is. Pics are worth a thousand words sort of thing.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

This is with a 4-5mm spacer with the stock shocks and stock rod ends and the 6mm spacer behind the upper links.

Not the greatest pic but here it is.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I forgot to mention I'm running droop with an Edge Chassis and it's set-up a little different then factory. I love the set-up I just wish the 4 link would help with the torque twist. I had it set-up with one link on the top and one on the bottom. Each way I had it didn't help.

Here are a few pics, a little closer this time lol

Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM   #9
20K Club

With the Edge chassis it is better to run both of the upper 4-links on top of the plate. You will actually get even better performance if you put both on top and space them up about 4-6mm. This will make the axle "Fight" slightly to roll out from under the vehicle. That will help your torque twist.

Also, you should really look at the placement of your lower links and shocks, you have something funky going on there......
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

To tell you the truth I have tried every set-up I can think of with the lower links and shocks and thats what I have found suits my driving/what I like the best. A lot of people tell me it's funky or ask why but it's what I have found to be best for me and not what everyone else is doing.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

If you mount the shockend at the axle further out next to the lower link bar you will give yourself more clearence between the shock body and the upper link.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
If you mount the shockend at the axle further out next to the lower link bar you will give yourself more clearence between the shock body and the upper link.

I know, I cant and dont want to move the shocks out. When you move the links in to make room for the shocks outside a little I get way to much axle steer and if I move them out I dont have enough spacer behind the lower links to keep it from hitting the chassis and limiting my articulation to less than 50% plus I have traxxas aluminum shock caps (they weren't installed in the pic but are on now) and with them I have to keep the shocks pretty much straight up and down. When I moved my shocks to the outside of the tabs on the axle and kept my links further out on my axle it bound up the shocks so much it wouldn't move at all. I'm happy with the way my suspension is set-up I was just wondering if anyone had a solution for the 4 link the way my truck is set-up.

Here is a pic of my only other option to have my links where I want them and it bound the shocks up to much

Last edited by Trimmy; 01-25-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I know if I move the lower links in to where the green spacer is and the shocks in to where the black spacer is it wouls help and I have already done this but my shock still got bound up enough to pop the caps off and I got more axle steer then I want. I have no problem with the spacer behind my upper links I was just wondering if there was another way without redoing my suspension.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

From what i can see you are going to have to move the shocks around or just live with them hitting.
Can you not leave the lower links where they are and put the shocks next to them where they are both inside the the mounting tabs on the axle?
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:34 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

why not mount the shocks to the outside of the chassis

that would stop the binding and the links hitting
some_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I'm just going to have to move them lol. I think I found a way to get my traxxas caps to give a little. I'm going to put fuel tube on the inside and run the bolt throughh that instead of put a hard spacer there that doesn't let it move anyway but up and down and forwards ands backwards. As for moving them out I will have to put a spacer on them and they will stick out to far. I think I found the solution but I dont really want to change my suspension lol.

Thanks for your guys help
Justin