Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: The Wombat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default AX-10 tuber The Wombat

So I have been wanting a 2.2 for a long time and I finally stepped up and started. I took 666's advise and started with the AX-10 axles. I designed the tube chassis in autocad and had SRC fab it up. Things are still in the tweaking stage but she is starting to take shape. The Wombat is designed to (hopefully) be able to run full droop or full sprung or in between. I plan on a 70% droop set up with external springs. Ground clearance should be adjustable around 2.5" to 3.5". Colors will be black and aluminum.
To be powered by front axle saddle packs, through a Mamaba Max, to a brushless motor of some sort, into a B4 tranny, along Max drive shafts, to the axles, turning the new proline plastic bead locs ( when they are released ).Thats the bulk of it.
Loose roller at the moment, working on geometry/setup. Next the tranny is going in. Finalizing electronics choices.

Any suggestions for battery? I want to get some wheel speed if possible, and of course run time. 123 packs seem too big to fit where I have room. Also brushless motor choice?

Oh yea, thanks goes to Skippy of SRC for taking the design from paper to steel. SRC is responsible for all fab work.

Any input would be appreciated. Here is the birth of the Wombat.....

More as progress goes.

Last edited by dystance; 01-27-2008 at 04:59 PM.
dystance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
MODERHATER™

Took my advice!! HAHA, I have nothing for you!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

come on, I know you know power
Old 01-06-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
MODERHATER™

Ok, well I had a Revolver Black with a Mamba 25. I liked alot, so much I am getting another! I don't know how it acts with a Mamba Max. The black and gold motors are a good choice too. How much are you looking to spend? Also might think about a brushed motor with the Mamba Max for butter smooth control. As for batteries, alot of people are liking the 2/3a cells on the front axle.

Oh yea, get some MSD beadlocks!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

And nice work by Skippy, always an original!!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info. I am trying to be economical, but most of the brushless are affordable for me. I do like brushed for the smoothness, but Skippy says no way, go brushless. I am lazy with maintnance, so I like the brushless, but I just run my brushed motors tillthy die any way, so I guess both have zero maintnance. I like the brushless for the wheelspeed and runtime benefits, but I want smooth. I am ignorant on the batteries thing. Can I do 4 2/3a cells split 2 and 2 on the front axle? They seem big. I have 3 of the cells loose so I will play with it to see if I can get it to fit. As for the MSD beadlocks, I almost got those, but I am trying to keep cost down till I start making some $ in my new career. I never broke the 40 series Prolines, and they look like they came up with a good 2.2 design. We will see.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I like the swiss cheese'd look Dystance. Many options for many folks...

As for electronics take a look at a 45t brushed motor with laydown brushes, accompanied by a Mamba Max this will be the bomb!
Get a 3c lipo battery and ditch the 2/3 and other NI-MH cells. You'll have so much wheel speed you'll launch the wombat into the next gate with ease.

Wombat's kick ass,
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Rubbaneck, thanks for the input. That electronic setup sounds like a winner. If I can get wheelspeed, torque, and runtime, I will be happy. I have always been into tinkering with different shock setups and the "swiss cheese" look allows me to experiment with my setup, changing droop, shock length, shock angle, and even ride height. My rig is never done so it is good to have options.

So the tranny is in and seems to fit well, drive shaft angles seems to be within reason. The biggest issue at the moment is that the upper links on the front are too long and tilt the axle forward. Easy fix, just need to make new upper links. There seems to be too much pinion change as it cycles through its travel, but I think fixing the upper link length and adjusting the upper link mount at the axle will help. Any other ideas on why the pinion angle changes as the suspension cycles? I also have a question about the rear axle. My mechanic says that it is good to have the rear axle angled slightly to the rear to ease the driveline angle and to get the shaft up and out of the way. Looks like it should work, just wondering if there are any negative side effects.

So here are a few progress pics.

at full bump - ride height will never sit this low.

Close to desired ride height, upper links to be adjusted closer to level.

full droop

increased flex.

Things are moving along......more to come.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
MODERHATER™

Done yet? Looks better by the post!! What did you decide to do?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Getting closer. Almost ready to paint the tube flat black. Went with the BM9 and the standard saddle pack. We tried to sort out a way to run a 123 pack, but they seem to big to fit cleanly. Can't afford to go lipo at the moment. So I am just waiting on the proline beadlocks. In the meantime, I will be working on the body panels and tweaking the suspension design. Should be running as soon as the battery packs show up.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Looks cool. As far as powerplants. The BM9 should work nice. I prefer a 850 KV Crawlmaster. Great power and wheelspeed on a 3 cell. Worked nice on 8 2/3 a's.

We tried a 35 turn in my sons AX-10 on a 3 cell.......VERY fun.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
ghetto fabulous newbie

i hope your upgrading to aluminum knuckles, i can see you knuckles snapping now with that much leverage on them.
Attached Images

yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Aluminum C's and knuckles are in the plans. For the moment I have a spare, so I will put them to the test.

The shop (Skippy) called today and the Wombat should be in my hands tonight with a fresh coat of paint on the tube. The batteries came in today, so I will be completing the wiring and starting to test and adjust.

Big shout out to SRC aka Skippy for the fab skills and for working through my design changes and issues.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #14

Nice rig.

lots of bar work there, how's it gonna be getting the electrics and motor in an out?
Hylux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Should not be a problem since the cage can be seperated from the aluminum belly. The tranny can be manuvered through the bars, but it is tight. When I need to get at it, I will just unbolt the cage.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So.......the Wombat lives.

Had some issues with the driveshaft popping out. The setscrew had stripped, so I replaced it with a slightly larger thread, and it seems to have solved the problem.

Still working out setup geometry. I am working out some minor binding issues that are limiting articulation. Out on the rocks, she seems to be stable, plenty of power and good wheelspeed.

Any suggestions for soft springs? It seems that I need to find softer springs. I am currently setup with Team associated black springs, the softest I could find in town.

I will post final specs and pics when I am happy with the setup.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I think your wombat looks awesome. Great job on the fab work.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #18

Default real cool

good luck
badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comment. The credit for the fabwork on the chassis goes to Skippy (SRC). I just work out the details.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystance View Post

Rig looks great, but one question. The top pic shows the LH rear shock adjuster ring bottomed out, and the RH is totally opposite at the top of the shock. Is there off-set weight to have it set up that way? The bottom pic shows the truck sitting reasonably level.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote