RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial AX-10 Scorpion (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/)
-   -   HELP!! Tires shaking violently at full turn!! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-ax-10-scorpion/102766-help-tires-shaking-violently-full-turn.html)

Vroomvroom 01-26-2008 03:46 AM

HELP!! Tires shaking violently at full turn!!

Guys, I need your help. My front tires would frequently shake when at full turn regardless if right or left turn. It sounded like the tires were rubbing onto something but I check everything and nothing seem to be hitting the tires even at full turn. Wheels are tightly bolted when I checked so it's not the cause of the shaking. The closest thing to the tires at full turn would be the lower links but there's like 5-8mm of clearance even when the tires running at full throttle. No shaking occurs when my wheels are straight or in neutral steering position even at full throttle. Shaking begins from half to full throttle combined with fully turing the tires either from left to right.

Tires would also shake even when my kit is fully suspended from the ground.

I recently change my motors from 60T to 50T to get more speed. I also cleance and sprayed WD40 on all the exposed bearing on the axles.

Any tips or suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks!!!

Rockcrawler 01-26-2008 04:01 AM

Its probably just the dogbones. Mine does that at full turn.

Vroomvroom 01-26-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 1025098)
Its probably just the dogbones. Mine does that at full turn.

Ok, it's also what I thought causing the shaking of the tires. Weird thing is I didn't noticed it before I change my motors and cleaned my bearings...:?:

red jim 01-26-2008 05:50 AM

That is where a radio with end point adjustments help,adjust til the problem disappears.I am way too cheap to buy a radio like that so I simply decrease the amount I turn the controller until it stops,it will save wear and tear on the steering servo

yotachump 01-26-2008 09:11 AM

Maybe when you are driving the truck and turning the tires are rolling over and hitting the links? When you hold the truck in the air and turn the wheels at half through throttle do they rub like you where saying? or is it only when it is on the ground?If its only when its on the ground then I think that its the tires rolling over.Do you know what I mean by rolling over? Also the faster motor would make the tires roll over more when turning at higher speeds.

justadork 01-26-2008 09:18 AM

My thought on this too, is where is he driving it, if it gets tuns of traction at full throttle in a turn it could be the effect of the posi traction, as well as the over steering throw causing the dog bone rubbing issue, as well as the tire sidewall rolling over causing lumps at the contact point to the ground or hitting the links.

CeeBlock 01-26-2008 11:32 AM

with locked differentials the inside tire is trying to turn as fast as the outside tire, so it "skips" its why all vehicles usually have a differential so that the outside tire can actually spin faster through a corner than the inside tire. its basic differential info.....

mine does it too, just an fyi

RedBullRockIt 01-26-2008 12:58 PM

Another reason is a u-joint can only turn so far before it starts to bind and the axle shafts must run an oblong radial pattern to compensate. If there is no room for the axles to deflect, then the steering itself will compensate if it is not strong enough to resist. For every time the wheel goes around once, the deflection will take place twice. Count the amount of wobbles compared to the wheels turning and this will determine if this is the problem. If it is, one way or another, something's gotta give. Even if the axle yokes are not binding, the tighter your turn, the more the deflection.

This is not the case with a CV joint, but then again, most CV joints are not as strong as a u-joint when turned.

Reflection 01-26-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vroomvroom (Post 1025096)
Tires would also shake even when my kit is fully suspended from the ground.

Guys,he's already stated it does this while suspended from the ground(in the air)"thumbsup"

Dustin makes some very good points and it can very well be part of the issue.

How old is the servo? It could be the steering pot inside the servo going bad. I've had this happen with servo's before."thumbsup"

What radio gear you running? I've seen bad crystals do crazy things."thumbsup"

yotachump 01-26-2008 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptorman57 (Post 1025558)
Guys,he's already stated it does this while suspended from the ground(in the air)"thumbsup"

OOPS, guess I need to read more:oops:

Vroomvroom 01-26-2008 03:52 PM

Thanks for your respond guys!! I think its the dogbones thats causing the shaking of the front tires. I may have not notice it before because my old 60T motor is much slower than my 50T motor. Tires would also rub the links at full turn when I let run on a high traction surface. So there's actually 2 factor causing the shakes, 1st is too much steering causing the dogbone to push the axle stub when rotating, 2nd is tires bending or slanting when turning at high traction surface making it rub on the links.

It's good to know that the shaking is just natural, I really thought that I did something wrong with the cleaning and changing of the motor!! Many thanks to all of you who responded."thumbsup"

dc2drifterx 01-27-2008 02:51 AM

Just curious why you are using WD40 on the bearings, its not a lubricant.

JUSTGOINGSLOW 01-27-2008 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc2drifterx (Post 1026424)
Just curious why you are using WD40 on the bearings, its not a lubricant.

That is the worst thing for bearing. Because it has kerosine in it which will gum up and toast the seals and balls.

rdtshaw 01-27-2008 03:09 PM

+1 on the wd40 bearing killer factor. You might want to use some tri-flow. You can get it at a bike shop in spray or squeeze bottle. Works great. Been using it for years on bearings and such...

JUSTGOINGSLOW 01-27-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdtshaw (Post 1027085)
+1 on the wd40 bearing killer factor. You might want to use some tri-flow. You can get it at a bike shop in spray or squeeze bottle. Works great. Been using it for years on bearings and such...

Just use 10wt shock oil. Its silicone based thin in viscosity and works great and will last a long time.