Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Springs and things

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #1

Default Springs and things

I have Blue (4) and Green (2) springs from Axial. I felt that the blues were too firm and didn't want to have that much of a firmness difference going straight to white or red being that I was keeping a pair of blue in the front or the rear. So i have a pair of blues and a pair of greens on my truck right now. I would love to go softer so I can get better articulation. I have tired the blue in the front and green in the rear and reverse. I think I should go white or red to replace the blue, but I am debating.
I like the notion of a firmer spring front or rear for some predictability.....but I am not sure.
So, if you have a non-droop setup with stock shocks and different springs, I would like to hear your input/setup ideas as far as spring firmness goes. Do you run all soft, all firm, a mix (like me), or just one firm and the rest soft to counter torque twist (which I hate, that is just masking the issue IMO).

Thanks
TJAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJAugie View Post
I have Blue (4) and Green (2) springs from Axial. I felt that the blues were too firm and didn't want to have that much of a firmness difference going straight to white or red being that I was keeping a pair of blue in the front or the rear. So i have a pair of blues and a pair of greens on my truck right now. I would love to go softer so I can get better articulation. I have tired the blue in the front and green in the rear and reverse. I think I should go white or red to replace the blue, but I am debating.
I like the notion of a firmer spring front or rear for some predictability.....but I am not sure.
So, if you have a non-droop setup with stock shocks and different springs, I would like to hear your input/setup ideas as far as spring firmness goes. Do you run all soft, all firm, a mix (like me), or just one firm and the rest soft to counter torque twist (which I hate, that is just masking the issue IMO).

Thanks
You might want to try some losi's, put whites up front and yellows in the rears with traxxas max spring cups. And either 20 or 30wt oil works pretty good.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I spent a few days playing with spring combos on my truck. I finally settled on Traxxas Red up front, and Axial Green in the rear. For oil I liked 50wt in the rear, 35wt in the front (XRAY weight.)

To run the Traxxas springs you need the shock retainers for the E/T-Maxx or you need to pinch down the end of the spring slightly to fit on the smaller Axial shock bottom/preload spacers.

Some people local are running Trinity Light Blue Monster springs for the E/T-Maxx in the rear, and the Traxxas Red in front. The Red spring is very soft, I would say as soft or maybe softer than the Axial White. I can't really tell if their trucks are working any better than mine is.

If you've got Axial springs I would suggest Green in the rear, White up front. If you don't like that, soften the rear a little. Having a much softer rear spring kept making my truck bind up more, it would literally "wad up" when it got bound and it had a harder time pushing the front end down, it would just fold over backwards when I tried to run up anything vertical. With a slightly firmer spring (but softer than stock) the truck seems to vert well, but also be soft enough that the rear end will move around objects rather than lifting the entire truck.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm running the axial supersofts on the front and the stockers in the rear, so far I've had no complaints
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM   #5

The Losi springs fit with no modification? Also, do they compare to the Axial as far as spring rate or are they softer/firmer?
The Maxx springs were shorter and a different diameter, which is why I didn't mess with them much. I am going to revisit pirating parts off my T-Maxx and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the input.
TJAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The whites are 1.8 spring rate and the yellow are 2.0 and you do not have to mod nothing. I use them with traxxas big bores, but before I got the big bores I used them on the stock shocks. Just make sure you use traxxas max shock cups at the bottom they really hold the springs in place.
JUSTGOINGSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioCrawler View Post
I'm running the axial supersofts on the front and the stockers in the rear, so far I've had no complaints

I am running the same set up right now and the only thing that I dont like is the back does not flex enough for me. I just ordered the axial green for the rear and still going to run the supersofts in the front, will see how that goes. If that does not work and the rear is to flexy I will try the axial yellows.
Hotwheels69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Im running stock shocks with whites in the front and greens in the rear 20wt oil and 5/8 of fuel line under the piston, i'm soon gonna switch to big bores and losi yellow and white springs.
Nitro Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

when i was externally sprung i had super soft in front and stock rears with stock spacers under the piston. that worked pretty well. then i tried soft (white) in the rear and that sucked a$$. then i stuck the stockers in the rear and cut the top two winds of the spring off. that took some of the preload off from having spacers under the piston. that work much better. now im droop.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote