Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: TCS Boomerang Upper Link Mount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TCS Boomerang Upper Link Mount

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Delri...g-p-16523.html

i know some of you have used this mount before, can you please tell me how long of a link you used to replace the "shorter" upper links. plus did you use the factory mounting holes on the frame?

dirtydirtysouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Same mounting holes, same links, different rod ends.

The mount comes with instructions
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUKMAN View Post
Same mounting holes, same links, different rod ends.

The mount comes with instructions
does it use the "factory" type straight rod ends?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i believe the idea is to extend the links into the frame. (70mm) seems to be the link of choice and a new hole is drilled into the chassis. see the CKRCcrawler comp build on the Tech page. the spacers are elimnated because the new "triangle" base is the width of the inside of the chassis. problem is, no one has the 70mm links in stock. I am waiting until they get some because i don't like the ideas of turnbuckles or extending the stock links.
TRA3905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

you can also cut down the stock lower links if you're running the bent links all the way around, then just tap out each end and you'll have the 70mm links.

Last edited by ScorpioCrawler; 01-28-2008 at 12:33 PM.
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
ScorpioCrawleryou can also cut down the stock lower links if you're running the bent links all the way around, then just tap out each end and you'll have the 70mm links.

PMTRA3905i believe the idea is to extend the links into the frame. (70mm) seems to be the link of choice and a new hole is drilled into the chassis. see the CKRCcrawler comp build on the Tech page. the spacers are elimnated because the new "triangle" base is the width of the inside of the chassis. problem is, no one has the 70mm links in stock. I am waiting until they get some because i don't like the ideas of turnbuckles or extending the stock links.

im not wanting to drill a new hole in the frame for longer links......im trying to keep it "factoryish" with straight bolt on parts.....
Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA3905 View Post
i believe the idea is to extend the links into the frame. (70mm) seems to be the link of choice and a new hole is drilled into the chassis. see the CKRCcrawler comp build on the Tech page. the spacers are elimnated because the new "triangle" base is the width of the inside of the chassis. problem is, no one has the 70mm links in stock. I am waiting until they get some because i don't like the ideas of turnbuckles or extending the stock links.
No, they have nothing to do with the 70mm mod. You use the stock holes and the stock links, you just replace the y link with 2 rod ends from the kit. That is all.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
No, they have nothing to do with the 70mm mod. You use the stock holes and the stock links, you just replace the y link with 2 rod ends from the kit. That is all.

What he said
ZUKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

kamikaze and zukman, i don't think you understand the original question. he is asking about extending the upper links, not how to install the boomerang 4 link plate. on the stage 2 upgrade, they still use a 3-link but the extended upper links are attached in a new location.
the mod, to the best of my knowledge is used to decrease the pinion angle and lower ride height? I am still green at this so please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

if you want to manipulate the pinion angle, you can adjust the length of the spacer between the upper 3 link connector and the upper 3 link mount. you can fab spacers or use washers.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

so why the 70 mm links? seems like alot of length, bypassing stock holes to go even further into the chassis to drill new ones.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The bomerang plate doesn't change the lenght of the links. It was layed out to be the same as the tri-link only using 2 seperate links instead.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have the boomerang plate and noticed that it did keep the approx the same pinion angle as stock. why does the stage 2 use such long links?
Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

This is just my opinion but the stage 2 link geometry is the most screwed up link setup I have ever seen. Just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
ghetto fabulous newbie

Quote:
This is just my opinion but the stage 2 link geometry is the most screwed up link setup I have ever seen. Just my opinion.
WORD
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Kamikaze and Yotachump - whats screwed up about the Stage 2 geometry? * What do you guys feel could be done to improve upon it?
Even if it's not the ideal setup, it still works better than the stock setup I feel.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Other than the total abandenment of 20 years of proven 4 link research and the total lack of opposing triangulation, it would be easier to just start over than to improve on it. Just narrowing the lower mounts at the chassis and raising the uppers at the axle is all that needs to be done. That is the proper way to create a proper link setup that will preform the way its suppost to. Again this is just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i don't want to get too far into modding anything on my stock chassis. I will be ordering an edge chassis when they are in stock and will set it up similar to yours with some preferential differences.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I know Kaze, thats why I asked. Why do they have that in the comp build.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Other than the total abandenment of 20 years of proven 4 link research and the total lack of opposing triangulation, it would be easier to just start over than to improve on it. Just narrowing the lower mounts at the chassis and raising the uppers at the axle is all that needs to be done. That is the proper way to create a proper link setup that will preform the way its suppost to. Again this is just my opinion.
where do you think the ideal mounting point is as far as upperlinks on the axle side, using the chasiss center point as a reference
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote