Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: "MaxAmps Monster" Edge Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "MaxAmps Monster" Edge Build

Kevin at The Crawler Store Was Kind enough to send Jason from MaxAmps One of the new "Edge" chassis to do a build for Jasons on going series over on the NitroKillers forum. This will be Chapter 4. With as busy as Jason has been lately he gave me a call and asked if I could help. I jumped at the chance. So we have a new tuber chassis, a hardware kit, and a body panel kit. Now for the start of the build.

The "Edge" Chassis: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Pre-Order...g-p-16621.html

The "Body Panel" Kit: http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Edge-...t-p-16736.html

The "Hardware Kit": http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Edge-...t-p-16713.html

So we start out by removing the Axles and drive train from my AX-10. Pretty simple to at this point. Here's some picture of the New "Edge" chassis and the drivetrain removed fro the AX-10 stock kit.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by tqcookie; 02-06-2008 at 03:46 PM.
tqcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Now at this point you can attach the rear axle assembly to the chassis which is a pretty simple task.

Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Now it's starting to look like something. Next move to the front axle assembly and mount it up.

Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Then Take the Tranny, motor, and tanny mount plate and mount them into the chassis. Then mount your reciever and esc. This is where you need to decide on how you want to do these. This chassis alows for a varying range of layouts. Our layout may give you a few options you may or may not have thought about.

Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Now the next step is to set up the shocks in a droop format using the supplied spings in the kit. Pull the shocks apart and place the supplied spring under the shock piston. Now fill them back up with oil and a little trick that helps keep the caps on and from leaking is to place a small amount of pipe tape on the threads. This helps lock the threads and seal them up real good. Once the shocks are all together mount them onto the chassis and the axles. I decided to mount the shocks upside down for a more trick look. Then you can mount up the wheels. It should now look like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 02-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ok, you can do a few things for body panels. What I did for now was to use the clear palstic ones that are avaible from TCS and used them as templates. I picked a couple of energy drink cans made from aluminum. So after I tossed the contents of the cans down it was time to use the clear plastic panels as templates to cut panels from the now empty cans. This is what I came up with for panels. Another way to appraoch this is to paint the insides of the clear panels and use them that way. Mounting the panels either the aluminum or plastic is done by drilling holes thru them and using small zip ties to secure them to the Chassis.

Attached Thumbnails

Old 02-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Ok so it's now ready to go. I will test it out this weekend and get us some action video and photo's from the competition. So as soon as I have the results I will post em' here.

Thanks again to Kevin at The Crawler Store For supplying the new "Edge" Chassis and also keep an eye out for Chapter 5 coming soon from Jason. The X-Trail chassis from TCS, a scale chassis bulid using the Axial AX-10 kit. Jason has been waiting to dive into that one,

www.tcscrawlers.com
Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Schweet!!!!
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Again I'd like to thank Tony for tearing his Current set-up apart so that we could do this build. For those of you that don't know Tony is one of our Sponsored Pilots and is a very close friend of mine up here in the North. We both have been bitten by the Crawling bug and we got bit hard. For those of you that are attending the indoor comp on March first in KC, Tony and I will be driving down with our rigs to hang out and give away some extra goodies at the event. It'll be a blast! If your in the area make sure you stop by and check out the action. Oh yeah and I will Crawl for beer! See you all there.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
Dan
Rock Stacker

out of curiosity, what is the center ground clearance of this killer rig?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

It is right about 2.5" to 2.75" I didn't have a ruller handy when I was taking the pics.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 AM   #12

Nice looking truck man. what motor/esc are you running?
RcDrivinFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #13
RCC Addict

It's got a 55T Lathe and a Mamaba Max in it. Jr Servo and CC BEC set to 6 volts.

Jason
Old 02-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

MambaMax
CC BEC (not installed in pics)
55 turn Integy
JrPropo 8711
MaxAmps 3s 430mah

The 430 is my favorite batt. I have lots of other batteries I can use but this puppy ends back on the truck for comp day every time. The thing I love about it is I velcro it to the top of the stearing servo and you can't even tell it is there.

It can handle most situations as far as current draw. When I get into a bind you can tell it is lacking a little.

I am going to be getting the 3s2p 860 split pack soon. With one on each side of the servo down on the axle I think this will be the ultimate light weight setup.

Here is a picture of this pack on my buddy Jasons rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

The truck looks good.

Is that 3s2p 860 split pack pretty sweet? I've been thinking about going lipo but dont want to spend 100 bucks to do it lol. I'll probably be doing it very soon lol.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
RCC Addict

It is sweet. If you order one make sure to put a note in the comment box that you want 18AWG wire that way it will fit under the servo tray. Mine was a test pack that I had the guys make and they used 14 AWG wire so I had to counter sink the servo screws into the TCS four link servo plate so the packs would slide under. The smaller wire will allow them to go under with out having to do this.

They can be seen here:http://www.maxamps.com/categories.php?cat=13 just click on the Axial Link and scroll down the list of packs we ahve that work great for crawlers. We even do customs packs. Always have and always will. I even have a 10 cell saddle pack of 2/3rds IB1400's that I run on the front plates also.

Jason
Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Truck looks great. I just ordered my edge chassis last night and cant wait for it to get here. I'll be putting mine together next week
pncstod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I like the look of the Edge myself ,
Is this going to be as capable a crawler or more so than stock ?
Or is it more of a scale look ?
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Jason,

You gonna have this in Kansas City? I'd like to check it out in person. I'm running your 8cell 1400's as you know. That batt. setup also looks killer.

Jason
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 AM   #20
20K Club

The rig looks great. I am glad to hear that you are may be coming to the KC event.

The rig should do very well on the terrain we have setup there.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote