Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: anyone else set up their front axle with some caster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default anyone else set up their front axle with some caster?

I'm just wondering, but has anyone else mounted the upper pair of links in say the inner most set of holes, but the lowers in the middle set, in order to get a few degrees of caster? I have mine set up like that, but I don't know if that is the best for trail riding and rock crawling. it only changes the pinion angle by a few degrees, and the angle wasn't that bad to begin with (set up as per the manual), so I think I would be fine running that setup, but I could be and have been wrong in the past.
EDIT: this rig isn't just going to be a trail rider or a rock crawler, I also want to be able to bash it a little.
Slyp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You'll lose some steering, but besides that there shouldn't be any other negative effects.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Negative Caster, the axle leaning back towards the center actually gives you more steering initially into a corner. You might notice push exiting a corner, but for petes sake you have lockers in this truck so great steering exiting a corner isnt gonna happen.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

ok. that's all good news to me.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Negative Caster, the axle leaning back towards the center actually gives you more steering initially into a corner. You might notice push exiting a corner, but for petes sake you have lockers in this truck so great steering exiting a corner isnt gonna happen.
That would be positive caster. Negative caster the top of the axle would lean forward.

I have mine set with alot of positive caster. I have clocked C hubs and my servo mount sits dead flat. It turns better on flat gorund, will turn into a verticle ledge very well and seems to turn sharper doing digs.

I have my 1-1 rig set with a bit more than average caster as well for these reasons.
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

ah, good to see that someone else has their rig set up similar to mine. I just need to get a set of RCP rear lockouts to solve the problems I've been having getting camber and caster on the rear axle when I have the links set up so that the servo mount is parallel to the ground