Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Axle problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default AX10 Axle problem

So at the socal rc rock crawling comp about a week ago I bound up a wheel and noticed one of them was not turning.

When I checked I saw that I stripped a hex on one of the wheels. (plastic HPI 5 spokes on my x-trail) the stock hexes dont bite in deep due to the extra little circular piece for the ax10 stock wheels.

so I replaced the wheel and went out again today. Both rear wheels stopped spinning when climbing a hill underload. Driveshaft was still spinning, and it was kind of "rocking" like it was getting power but then when it hit a certain load it would "snap"

I have completely disassembled the rear axle and cant see anything that is wrong. Anyone have any tips or know what it might be?

I want to get it fixed before the scale/fun crawl in San Pedro next weekend.

Both wheels turn fine.
Unloaded all wheels are fine
Lockscrew on the driveshaft was still super tight and thread sealed
rear driveshaft continues to turn
"knocking sound" with a little twisting in the rear axle occasionally when unloaded
Under load eventually gives out and stops turning the rear wheels.

Oh and I did the mod the mayhem engineering guys recommended on the ax10 hubs so there was no slipping of the wheels themselves.

Last edited by Jaynen; 02-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Well, if the rear drive shaft is turning, then its one of the following:

Stripped gears in the diff
Stripped locker
stripped wheels

Also, check to make sure the pins that hold the hexes in place are ok and make sure that the pinion is not snapped on the inside.

Last edited by Rockcrawler; 02-08-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

As far as I can tell nothing is stripped.

The pinion and bevel gears are metal and look fine no shavings or anything inside to indicate breakage either.

the hubs are fine

no marks from the wheels being broken

the locker is aluminum and looks to be ok as well unless something is broken inside it.

How could I tell if the locker is stripped because of the behavior of when it reaches a certain load this sounds like it might be the issue. I will have to look at the gears closer tomorrow. If there is anything I can take pictures of to help diagnose let me know.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The locker is made of aluminum and rounds out allowing the axle shaft to slip. You have to pull the diff case appart to inspect it.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like it could be stripped where the axle rods insert into the locker, insert them and check, the holes should be oblong and flat on two sides, if its not that carefully inspect the locker for hairline cracks that could be spreading under load, a pic of all the components might help
screaminsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

From reading your 2nd post, I am guessing you have not had the axles apart. If not, your going to have to. It only takes a few minutes.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

No they are completely disassembled. Did that before I posted because I wanted to look for something broken before I asked questions.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #8

is it the set screw on your bevel gear started to back mine started and would only slip under a load
dkapuscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Maybe either the set screw backed out on the rear axle side driveshaft yoke.

Last edited by Zardoz; 02-09-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

You can do what I did. Get yourself some stuff called dykem. Its used to dye metal so you can scribe it or check fit. Clean your ring and pinion real well. Coat with dykem and reassemble. Then run the rig a bit. Put some strain on it both forward and reverse. Then disassemble the axle and look at the ring and pinion. It will now show wear marks on your ring and pinion and show how it is meshing. That will let ya know if it needs shims. This is the same way you mesh a real rig ring and pinion. You might have so much slop in it is not meshing well. Out of the 2 axles I have, one was way sloppy and the other was pretty tight. Just a thought.

shim link

Last edited by Rocksmith Eng.; 02-09-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: added link
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well I reassembled everything. Just to see. Everything felt smooth until I got it all together, nothing looks physically damaged.

I stripped everything down so the bevel gear came apart and I looked at the locker etc.

When I got it all together I noticed when hand turning it feeling like it was hitting a "bump" inside like every so often there would be a little rough part. When pulling on the pinion it doesnt do it. (on the bit that you attach the driveshaft to. But if I push on that at all it binds up like if the bearing was not set properly for the pinion, like the gears are grinding together, but there was no physical evidence of any grinding going on damage wise

Can I buy dyekem at OSH or Do it center type places ?

Last edited by Jaynen; 02-09-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Pull the pinion and take it apart.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I got my dykem from the local welding shop, you might have to call around. You know if you used a marks-a-lot marker and marked every tooth and valley it would do the same thing. Just might not show as well as the dykem yellow stuff. From what you posted it sounds like you have meshing probs.
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote