Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: tubbing for rear steer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default tubbing for rear steer?

Hi, I've looked at countless posts of people and their rear steering linkage on their ax-10's, and I just recently got my ax-10 and I want to make my own rear steering linkage. All I need to know is what tubbing to use, and where I can get it (home depot, shucks, napa, large hardware stores?). Thanks a bunch to who ever can tell me
RcFanatic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You can get it at any hardware store, or in this area, any hobby shop. Most hobby shops sell K+S brand tubing.

Unsure which size exactly, I used the same size that fit my ends...and I used 4-40 all thread, most people say to use 6/32 but I have had no issue with 4-40 pulling out or breaking.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

x2 on the K+S aluminum tubing. 1/4" outer diameter, and whatever inner diameter that can still fit over 6-32 allthread. Can also go with 1/4" brakeline (bit cheaper). I'd recommend using 6-32 allthread. Cheaper (can get it at hardware stores whereas 4-40 I've only found in hobby shops), easier to find (at least for me it is), and just as easy to work with, plus you get some additional strength. If you go with 6-32 and are using Axial or Traxxas Maxx rod ends, you'll need to drill them out slightly to get the rod to thread in.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I just ordered extra axial links, cut it to size and tapped it.
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

thanks to you both, the only issue that i've thought of, just a precaution is, what about tapping the inside of the tube, like, will it be a good size hole or is it going to be a small hole that will be able to be tapped. If its a bigger hole, what should i use to fill in the tube, to be able to tap it?
RcFanatic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcFanatic92 View Post
thanks to you both, the only issue that i've thought of, just a precaution is, what about tapping the inside of the tube, like, will it be a good size hole or is it going to be a small hole that will be able to be tapped. If its a bigger hole, what should i use to fill in the tube, to be able to tap it?
jb weld baby...
jmizoguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:

Why tap anything? Just use allthread straight through, and sleeve it with the tube. Pretty simple.
Personally, I like beefy links, I use 8-32 allthread, and the big Jato ends, they fit perfect.

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 02-14-2008 at 08:47 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Get a 3mm-0.5 tap
Thats the same thread as stock
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
Why tap anything? Just use allthread straight through, and sleeve it with the tube. Pretty simple.
Personally, I like beefy links, I use 8-32 allthread, and the big Jato ends, they fit perfect.
x2

Jato/Revo rod ends [turnbuckles] are easily obtainable through various vendors here, through other online retailers, or through your LHS. Stop by Lowes and pick up some 8-32 all-thread for a few bucks. Then hit up Napa [or whatever auto parts retailer] for some 1/4" brake line for a few bucks.

Tools needed: Standard sized crimping tool with thread cutting grooves, pipe cutter/hacksaw, and a couple of thingies that fit well into the eye openings of the rod ends [phillips head screw drivers].

With some measurements, cut the thread and tube to length. Then start to thread one end of the all-thread into one rod end, stop, install tubing over all-thread, begin to thread other rod end onto other end of all-thread .................. then twist together both rod ends using an appropriately sized tool to fit into the rod-end eye [phillips head screwdrivers, etc].

To be honest, for whatever reason, I can't drill/tap a hole accurately in the center of a piece of rod to save my life, so I stick with the allthread/tube method of making links, and so far, I have no complaints about it.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

these work great for the FRONT steering on my 10lb super.

building the ULTIMATE links

easy, strong, cheap. plus you can brag that you have carbon fiber links!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote