Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Maxx Shafts made easy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #101
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinnTN View Post
ok drill press does not work! i just ruined 3.
Instead of drill pressing it, just use a hand drill with a step bit. Go slow. The step bit makes it easy to keep straight. Just drill the flat out first.

OR...

But the Maxx trans yoke. It's 5 mm and will fit the axial outdrive. You will have to grind the lip off other flat of the outdrive though.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockguy View Post
win -$50 bucks
So what are you going to spend on this mod? $25 in parts? Assuming you have metal yokes, if not that's another $38. And how much labor? To have a big plastic driveshaft? Or spend $25 more and never have another problem with MIP steel.

Last edited by rbgerrish; 08-08-2011 at 08:46 AM.
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish View Post
So what are you going to spend on this mod? $25 in parts? And how much labor? To have a big plastic driveshaft? Or spend $25 more and never have another problem with MIP steel.

anybody can just buy parts and slap them on and thats ok if thats what you need or want. MIP's are good but not problem free, thats why they have a rebuild kit for them.
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Prob with the drill press is with using such a small bit. The bit is too flimsy since its too small and moves from where u want it. U got a few options. 1 Drill really really slow so the bit doesn't flex. 2 If possible put the bit in until only about 1/2 sticks out of the shank or whatever its called so its not long enough to flex. 3 (which I think is the best) drill it by hand and angle the bit as needed and check it as you drill often to see how your progress is and which way u need to angle the bit to get back on track. Btw some outputs have a hardened coating which you need to use a grinder on first. Really though if you r on a budget and don't have much experience drilling u should practice on something you don't care to wreck.
White Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickabob View Post
anybody can just buy parts and slap them on and thats ok if thats what you need or want. MIP's are good but not problem free, thats why they have a rebuild kit for them.
I've run them in every scaler I've ever built, and I've never broken any or had them come apart. I use red locktite to be sure. We're talking 1/8 brushless motor powered, summit tranny 9 pound trucks on 6s. Frankly, that kind of durability and reliability is worth everything to me, but If you dont need that then making these plastic ones is a good solution for less money.
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #106
Rock Crawler

Great mod..

I'll be raiding my T-Maxx spare box to try this out....

West Cork Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

Default Help...

Right I've got my T-Maxx shafts...

Tryed to remove my AX-10 Shafts ( metal yokes) , but all the grub screws are rounded off / rusted

So anybody go a way of removing them,with out wrecking the yokes...

Sean...

Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 AM   #108
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post

Tryed to remove my AX-10 Shafts ( metal yokes) , but all the grub screws are rounded off / rusted

Sean...

Finally got my stock shafts off
and fitted my T-Maxx Center Drive Shafts..

Great Mod, even better if you've the shafts lying around...

Sean...

Last edited by West Cork Basher; 09-18-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #109
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Cork Basher View Post

Sean...

haha yea, i must have went i lil crazy with the threadlock, was a minor disaster hacking up the metal yokes....
jaytet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytet View Post
haha yea, i must have went i lil crazy with the threadlock, was a minor disaster hacking up the metal yokes....

Worked it out in the end...
Heat the grub screw up with a soldering iron,melts the thread lock...

Managed to get the thread turning , removed the old grub screw

Sean.

Last edited by West Cork Basher; 09-18-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #111
PapaGriz Yo

Default Re: Maxx Shafts made easy.

I still run these in all my rigs.
From Guido on 3S 3500 VXL and 7T Cobalt Puller on 3S, to my solid axle Slash trophy truck running 4600 on 3S. I've never had a problem other than the occasional set screw coming loose.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #112
Rock Stacker

Thanks!!! I was trying to figure out how to get beefy driveshafts to work in my Certain Death chassis because its 60/40 setup, I have some Maxx shafts here and they do mock up perfectly, now using this mod I can mount them up easily!! Thanks again!!

Thinking twice, can even cut up one of the shafts to make a tiny one for the front making the drivetrain bulletproof or damn close
matt889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #113

ok guys...new to rock crawling and first time out i had the driveshaft failure so wondering if this is still the hot ticket or should i get the junfac shafts for $40? I dont mind playing with tools and have most anything i need at my dads garage but i want reliablity and dont have a problem paying for it but i have to drive to my dads to use the tools when i can just buy the shafts and slap them on...

SO...let me know if this is still a good mod or if there is a better option out now days? thanks guys....read all 6 pages and got lots of info, just need to go back and get the TRX part #'s
TCCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

A lot of guys running serious competition shafty's are using these in their rigs due to the durability and light weight. There are several companies now that have larger outputs so you don't have to do the mod though, I believe you can find them on Crawler Innovations website.

Yep, here ya go...http://www.crawlerinnovations.com/in...mart&Itemid=83

Last edited by bmuzz1; 05-29-2013 at 05:22 PM.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post
ok guys...new to rock crawling and first time out i had the driveshaft failure so wondering if this is still the hot ticket or should i get the junfac shafts for $40? I dont mind playing with tools and have most anything i need at my dads garage but i want reliablity and dont have a problem paying for it but i have to drive to my dads to use the tools when i can just buy the shafts and slap them on...

SO...let me know if this is still a good mod or if there is a better option out now days? thanks guys....read all 6 pages and got lots of info, just need to go back and get the TRX part #'s
I am building a set as we speak. Buy a cheap set of PVC cutters and you will have perfect cuts and can make any shaft length you want.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #116

Talking Re: Maxx Shafts made easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
A lot of guys running serious competition shafty's are using these in their rigs due to the durability and light weight. There are several companies now that have larger outputs so you don't have to do the mod though, I believe you can find them on Crawler Innovations website.

Yep, here ya go...C.I. 4340 steel; 5mm - Axial Trans Output Pair
Holy crap...so $50 basically for those and then still another $20 for the maxx shafts? For us i dont see us spending that to do this as we just tool around locally but like i said, ive been out twice and the shafts failed both times so the "fix it when it breaks" is what im out to do since i dont want to keep popping the shafts back together every time it happens

This would be the way to go but at $70 shipped thats still alot over just upgrading shafts
5mm Upgrade kit

To us just upgrading the shafts are what we are looking to do whether its this mod or buying HD replacements i just didnt kno if going this was was better an buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I am building a set as we speak. Buy a cheap set of PVC cutters and you will have perfect cuts and can make any shaft length you want.
yea, have those but not sure why you quoted me...

Last edited by TCCustoms; 05-29-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCCustoms View Post
not sure why you quoted me...
Because my comment was directed at you.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

I have a set of shafts with this mod, not the parts I listed that have been used on two rigs over the past two years, it's a great mod if you have the tools.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Here is a shaft I just made for my high speed, high torque wraith that gets beat on by me and my 3 y/o boy who only knows two speeds...

I glued an oversized aluminum sleeve in the new one to prevent what happened to the old one.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #120

So are these the correct part #'s...
TRA4927X TRAXXAS Output Yokes
TRA4951X TRAXXAS Heavy-Duty Drive Shaft

a buddy and i decided to try this for atleast one of us and see how it goes but want to make sure its the right parts as the thread also has these comments on the part #'s...all were pertaining to the 4927x part # so im confused after thinking i had the right part #'s

First commented by am4x4, then Tommy R quotes him, then Duuuuuuuuude quotes Tommy R so the quotes are in order below

Quote:
Originally Posted by am4x4 View Post
Seems like alot of work when you can just buy the t-max yokes for a 5mm shaft, p#4927x. They are designed for a 5mm shaft with 2 flats so you either have to dremill one flat off the inside of the yoke or add a flat to the other side of your output. I have been running them for a while and they seem to work just fine

edit: updated with correct part #4927x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
That's interesting. I picked up some of these the other day not realizing this was the case. The LHS only had one pack of the other yokes and these looked similar at a glance so I snapped them up. I haven't even opened the package yet, but if they just need an internal flat removed this could be an easy way to adapt to 5mm.

But I have to say ordering up some Wheelie King yokes with a 6mm input and putting those into my Axial axles looks to be a nice way to go, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I thought those were going to be the ticket too, but I ended up twisting one right off of the trans output.

Last edited by TCCustoms; 05-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.