Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Is my setup right? CKRC Stage 2 setup - front axle castor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Is my setup right? CKRC Stage 2 setup - front axle castor

I am building my AX10, and installing the CKRC stage 2 kit as I go. I've completed the rolling chassis, and noticed that the front axles have a severe angle. This has two potential issues that I see-

1) Extreme angle on the lower yoke. These are the upgraded metal Traxxas yokes and shafts, they spin fine and appear to be working fine on the desk. However I am concerned that it might be too much stress, and also it puts the yoke below the lower links, which might make them drag.

2) Front suspension castor. I know that some castor angle is normal with the sweeped back shocks, but this would increase that. I don't know what effect castor may have on a crawler, but it seems like it might be a problem with the contact patch when the steering is right or left of center.

I put the upper link mounting holes where the guide's picutre shows, but I am thinking it needs to go a bit more forward and upward. My questions is - is that something I should worry about or should I test it on the rocks and see how it goes?

Thanks!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

That is definetly something you need to address - looks like you need to lengthen the uppers a little to bring your pinion angle back to facing upward - it looks like moving the chassis/upper link forward to one of the stock holes will give you the opposite issue - just as bad. Try putting one of the 1/4" spacers between the "Y" link and the axle.

Last edited by Yawzer; 02-28-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

difficult to see with the pic, but looks like you left out the spacer for the upper links? or maybe the hole wasn't drilled in the correct spot? regardless you need to tilt the axle back via upper link adjustment, got more pics?

(is that a three lcd monitor setup i see in the background?)
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Need spacers on your upper links.
Flatcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Ok the spacer must be it, I was going by the pictures in the Stage 2 guide and it only showed a space used in the rear link. Thanks for the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
difficult to see with the pic, but looks like you left out the spacer for the upper links? or maybe the hole wasn't drilled in the correct spot? regardless you need to tilt the axle back via upper link adjustment, got more pics?

(is that a three lcd monitor setup i see in the background?)
Yep, actually a fourth is over the one on the left. I work from home a lot so it helps me keep everyone in line Actually on some days "work" at home involves working on RC builds.
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Ok the spacer must be it, I was going by the pictures in the Stage 2 guide and it only showed a space used in the rear link. Thanks for the help!

Yep, actually a fourth is over the one on the left. I work from home a lot so it helps me keep everyone in line Actually on some days "work" at home involves working on RC builds.
Spacer would be the easiest fix
I ended up installing TCS upper link mounts front and rear, made my own links relocating them to a similar spot as yours, definite improvement.

I drool over your four monitors, I have two 19" LCD's side by side, love it, but I'm ready to step up to three
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

yea you need a spacer in your Y 3 link mount. the kit comes with an extra spacer and a longer screw to do this. the length extends the wheels base a little and helps a ton with the driveshaft angle
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:27 AM   #8

Default Stage 2

All you need to do is slap in a 6x6 spacer between the Y and the 3link mount and your set to crawl.. By the way nice looking rig.If you have anyother Question's just let me Know... Thank's Dominic
JUGGHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:01 AM   #9

I had same concern, moved the upper mount forward 6 mm instead of using spacer. This also made more room for the motor, I use the Novak brushless, which clear just right with link forward.
rubclt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Do you have the axle c's reversed?
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
Do you have the axle c's reversed?
Axle C doesn't locate the axle.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Ya need to install a six mm spacer i recall when i did that conversion, that's what it took to get the correct ramp-angle..try that and you can go from there.....
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Axle C doesn't locate the axle.
I didn't see that his pinion angle is way off. I thought just the knuckle angle was off.
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

RCP crawlers adjustable C's will help your pinion angle problem. http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/product.p...&cat=29&page=1

You can roll your pinion up a little better with your links/link mounts and keep your caster in a better spot.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

off topic question ,sorry .

You guys with multiple monitors ,if you have two ,are you looking at two different things on each or can you use two as one for a larger screen for gaming and such ?
or can you do both ?
Crawler Ted is offline   Reply With Quote