Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Lady J AX-10 Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lady J AX-10 Build

Here is a list of what i have so far on order. My cluttered up my own thread so i'll try to keep this one neater.

AX-10 Scorpion
Steering - Hitec HS5955TG
ESC - Novak rooster crawler
Motor - Novak 55T
Transmission - CKRC aluminum gears
RCP delrin skid

AX10 HD Yokes Upgrade for Axial Scorpion
AX10 Drive shaft Upgrade Kit For Axial Scorpion
AX10 Aluminum Adjustable Split Battery Axle Plates
CKRC Heavy Duty Bent Links For The Axial AX-10 (4)

Front Axle - AX10 case, hardended ring and pinion, RCP Knuckles, RCP C's
Rear Axle - AX10 Case, hardened ring and pinion, CKRC SS straight axle shafts with lockout.

Wheels - RC4WD 2.2 Rockstars (JUNK!!!!) new wheels are eight shooters
Tires - losi rock claws

Body - Flamed out silverado by ftr

Battery - 6 cell saddle pack with Elite 1500 cells

I still need a spektrum rx and some lockers.....

Opinions? This is going to be a shelf queen/house crawler so i am not intrested in a dig or rear steer setup. I just don't want to get everything here and then find out i missed something.

Last edited by kurt; 03-14-2008 at 10:15 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looks good to me, but if its gonna be a shelf queen I say go all the way with aluminum.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

why? all thats really left would be the actual axle housings. i don't see much point in that. I like having some plastic between my aluminum. I want it to be a fully functional and ready to hit the rocks crawler but it will probably see more office crawling than anything.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

sounds like a really nice rig to be sitting on a shelf, but either way its going to be a nice rig
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub599 View Post
sounds like a really nice rig to be sitting on a shelf, but either way its going to be a nice rig
thanks, i am trying to get my wife to let me have a rock garden when they finish building our house. All i want is one corner of the back yard.
House will be done in 3 months so i guess we'll see what happens. books, sofa cusions, and furniture will have to suffice until then.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

IMO you dont really need the axle battery plates. i just zip tied my split cell pack right to the axle and it works great.

i got the hitec ultra torque servo and i also got a couple of the tower pro servos

i am very impressed by the tower pro servo's. they actually have alittle bit more power and quickness and are a third of the price of the hitec servo.

heres a link for 4 of them

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-Servo-MG-995-...QQcmdZViewItem

something to think about :
i took the stock axial straight links and bent them 25 degrees now my wheel base is exactly 12.5. when i used the stage 2 kit bent links, my wheel base was closer the 13 inches.
also you have a 7 cell maximum with the novak rooster crawler so if your gonna order batterys get why not get the elite 1500 7cell sadle pack?
and IMO their is no need for aluminum anything but knuckles.

good luck

Last edited by 12flex; 03-06-2008 at 05:56 AM.
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex View Post
IMO you dont really need the axle battery plates. i just zip tied my split cell pack right to the axle and it works great.

i got the hitec ultra torque servo and i also got a couple of the tower pro servos

i am very impressed by the tower pro servo's. they actually have alittle bit more power and quickness and are a third of the price of the hitec servo.

heres a link for 4 of them

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x-Servo-MG-995-...QQcmdZViewItem

something to think about :
i took the stock axial straight links and bent them 25 degrees now my wheel base is exactly 12.5. when i used the stage 2 kit bent links, my wheel base was closer the 13 inches.
also you have a 7 cell maximum with the novak rooster crawler so if your gonna order batterys get why not get the elite 1500 7cell sadle pack?
and IMO their is no need for aluminum anything but knuckles.

good luck
the battery plates were cheap so i didn't mind getting them. As far as the servo goes, i know i have a 1 yr warranty with hitec and i'm not sure about the towers. Either way, i have had cheaper servo's strip out on me so i am sold on airtronics and hitec servo's. I'm not overly concerned about the wheelbase. Its never going to see any sort of comp so if its a little longer, i don't mind at all. You'll laugh at this but i got the 6 cell pack to give it a balance look.

I am still waiting for payment on some ebay stuff to place my rc4wd order. Should i get the aluminum tranny case of stick with the stocker?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

well the aluminum case is shiny but obviously the plastic aint gonna fail if anything you'll strip out the pastic gear in the tranny but since yours is gonna be a contertop queen then idk go all bling
Old 03-06-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
well the aluminum case is shiny but obviously the plastic aint gonna fail if anything you'll strip out the pastic gear in the tranny but since yours is gonna be a contertop queen then idk go all bling

check the first post. aluminum tranny gears.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm not sure I'd bother with the hardened R&P gears, either. They don't seem to be a point of failure, esp with a 55t on 6 cells.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i stripped out my front and rear wheely king ring and pinion with a 6 cell pack and 45T. Rounded them right off. i was running moab Xl's too with lots of wheel spin.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
i stripped out my front and rear wheely king ring and pinion with a 6 cell pack and 45T. Rounded them right off. i was running moab Xl's too with lots of wheel spin.

well it was a wheely king man. not an axial.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
well it was a wheely king man. not an axial.
haha, true.

is the axial a one or two piece pinion?

how good do the bearings on the transmission seal? I am thinking about drilling and tapping my tranny with a drain plug and filling it with lucas.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

what size aluminum rod ends will i need to replace mine?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default Ax 10

That is very costly to just play in doors.Alot of of those parts I got stock.Keep it simple and clean.
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

its certainly staying clean. just a solid build that should last quite awhile

how about shocks. i see alot of guys with the traxxas big bores? is this the shock to have or is there something else i need to be looking at.

Last edited by kurt; 03-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

going to start building tommorow. i have my main order here so i can start assembling stuff. just gotta find a dang spektrum rx. they want $80 for one on on fleabay and i can pick up a full spektrum radio for not much more than that.

any last ideas or opinions before i start throwing this thing together?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
going to start building tommorow. i have my main order here so i can start assembling stuff. just gotta find a dang spektrum rx. they want $80 for one on on fleabay and i can pick up a full spektrum radio for not much more than that.

any last ideas or opinions before i start throwing this thing together?

Have fun building it!!!
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

will do. i am setting up a table in my office at work so i can build it while i work.

i think i am done buying for now. wasn't expecting $200 for wheels and tires. lol

my last few packages should be here tommorow but at the very least i can get some links built and have everything laid out and prepped for when the new stuff gets in.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

finally got some work done. Much thanks to CKRC, RCP, RCWD, Holmes Hobbies, A-Main hobbies, and Dirk Digler
The dog chewed up my memory card reader so no real camera pics for now. I snapped a few with my cell phone and here they are.
Little too flexy for me. going to try some new springs next week. flamed out body by ftr should be here next week too. enjoy