Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: My son's GC1 AX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

it wont be a clone to mine.

its gonna have axials with a carbon chassis
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 12:59 PM   #42
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

My son placed 10th at his 2nd comp out of 22 crawlers.

86Jeep son and my son - two of the young guns for TXRCRCA
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #43
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The VF dig didn't arrive in time for the comp. I will be updating this build thread with the VF dig soon and a couple other tweaks we have had to make to the truck. Mainly maxx drive shafts since my son had broken three modded pede shafts since the last comp. It wasn't so much his fault since we jumped up in voltage and down in gearing. Inevitably, as one area gets stronger, another is made weaker.

Last edited by Nova's Ark; 04-23-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Congrat's to the little man! Top 10 to boot!

My son and I went out for some practice today.

Carnage, one driveshaft (mine) and one servo arm (sons). But we had a blast and to top it off, we got a bystander interested in crawling. He just picked up an Axial and I hope to see him at the next comp.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #45
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax22 View Post
spoiled little brat. LOL! J/k... cool build. the bug body looks super cool!
Thanks. Another TXRCRCA member painted the body, I trimmed it, and my son did all the stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Congrat's to the little man! Top 10 to boot!

My son and I went out for some practice today.

Carnage, one driveshaft (mine) and one servo arm (sons). But we had a blast and to top it off, we got a bystander interested in crawling. He just picked up an Axial and I hope to see him at the next comp.

Thanks dezfan. This is his second top 10, but the judges were nice to him on the third course this comp. He had slipped on the rock minutes before his turn. He was trying his best not cry. Rather than sit it out and let someone else go, he stepped up to start course 3. He got through the second gate and made a left turn off a ledge. It wasn't a big deal and he still could have continued, but he cracked. The tears came flowing and I asked the judge for a DNF. I picked him up, grabbed the crawler and walked down to the truck to get away from everyone, grab a drink of water and comfort him.

Once he calmed down, he asked if he could do it over. I told him no. He asked again, I told him since this was fun only and we are not in the points hunt, to go ask the judge himself. He did. The judge said sure. So he redid the third course and did very well. I think he got a 0 or something low like that. Since he still didn't have the dig he used reverse a few times.

That is one of the cool things about a local club with cool guys in it. H3RESQ was in town from Washington state and he was at the comp also. He watched my son and commented that he has a good eye for lines and that with time and practice he could be good. We'll see. He's 6. That is partly why I have been going to comps. Not only so I can get the needed practice and have fun, but to see if it's something he really likes. You know how kids can be, interested in something one year and done with it the next. No matter what, it's great spending time with him and sharing something fun together. All the comps are a 2hour + drive, so there's lots of time to talk when he's not sleeping.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Thanks. Another TXRCRCA member painted the body, I trimmed it, and my son did all the stickers.

Thanks dezfan. This is his second top 10, but the judges were nice to him on the third course this comp. He had slipped on the rock minutes before his turn. He was trying his best not cry. Rather than sit it out and let someone else go, he stepped up to start course 3. He got through the second gate and made a left turn off a ledge. It wasn't a big deal and he still could have continued, but he cracked. The tears came flowing and I asked the judge for a DNF. I picked him up, grabbed the crawler and walked down to the truck to get away from everyone, grab a drink of water and comfort him.

Once he calmed down, he asked if he could do it over. I told him no. He asked again, I told him since this was fun only and we are not in the points hunt, to go ask the judge himself. He did. The judge said sure. So he redid the third course and did very well. I think he got a 0 or something low like that. Since he still didn't have the dig he used reverse a few times.

That is one of the cool things about a local club with cool guys in it. H3RESQ was in town from Washington state and he was at the comp also. He watched my son and commented that he has a good eye for lines and that with time and practice he could be good. We'll see. He's 6. That is partly why I have been going to comps. Not only so I can get the needed practice and have fun, but to see if it's something he really likes. You know how kids can be, interested in something one year and done with it the next. No matter what, it's great spending time with him and sharing something fun together. All the comps are a 2hour + drive, so there's lots of time to talk when he's not sleeping.
Congrats little man!
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #47
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH Racing View Post
Congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Congrats little man!
Thank you guys. He will be all smiles when I pass your words on to him tonight.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Been there, glad to hear he "manned" up and asked to crawl again. I think it's great they let him run. After all, we are just playing w/ toy trucks! Some people are just WAY to serious about this stuff.

I know the time spent w/ my boy is with out a doubt the best part. I don't know if it means as much to him (now) as it does to me. I know that I will always treasure this time. He is almost eight and in a few years he won't want to hang out with me anymore.:-(
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:34 AM   #49
Pebble Pounder

Yeah but you guys are doing it right when they are older and when they become fathers they will remember and do the same for their kids and thats what its all about being a good dad and love'in every minute of it.My hats off to you guys!!!

5 thumbs up to you.
chev12olet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #50

I cant even express how awesome this is. The time to share together doing something so fun. I started reading this and was curious how old he was till I saw your post of his age.....AMAZING!! Your son's rig is 10 times better than mine! Hell I think his control is 10 times better than mine too! LOL! I envy you, and cant wait to start doing this kinds of things with my son and seeing him do exactly what your has, by expressing his creativity! Congrats to both you and thank you for sharing this and such a nice detailed build too! Gives some ideas for future builds!
Venomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #51
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Lots to update. The VF dig arrived. I ordered two. One was smooth out of the box and the other needs some attention. Wanting to finish this and get it out of the way so that I can focus on my Super, I used the smooth unit.

Nothing much to report on the assembly of the dig. Everything went together smooth and nothing needed adjustment. The drive cog, brass pin, slider fork were all machined exact. I assembled it per VF instructions and lubed it with white lithium grease.

I had no intentions to use the micro servo the VF dig is designed for. First of all, I didn't have one. Secondly, I don't have the money at the moment to buy one. Thirdly, this a six year old's rig and he has been waiting months for the dig. I expect the dig to get lots of use and I want to make it kid friendly.

So I cut a plate out of aluminum sheet to mount the servo to the TVP. Then came a custom linkage. I installed a Hitec 645MG servo for the dig. I would have preferred to have mounted the servo to the opposite side TVP, but the dig linkage would not have been straight. I wanted it on the opposite side to counter act the weight of the motor and try to balance the weight of the crawler side to side.

All in all it came out very well and the VF dig performs excellent. It was definitely worth the wait. I cannot bind this rig up enough to not disengage or engage the dig. So far it is much better then my R2D ever performed. This is the perfect dig for my son. On to the pictures:

Old 04-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #52
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I installed maxx shafts front and rear. I drilled the outputs on the VF dig for the maxx shaft cross pin. The axles are a different story however. The pinions are hardened steel and I was unable to get through them. I used two set screws in the front yoke on the axle and they are holding up. I tried that in the rear and it did not hold. So I used a RC4WD 5mm to 6mm adapter. I was able to drill the adapter for the maxx yoke cross pin so the rear is set. If the front comes undone I will do the same.

More pictures as well:

It will stand on this side all day. (Motor and dig servo up)

Motor side and dig servo side down; it stays on it's side for a while but finally tips over.

Rear Maxx shaft with RC4WD adapter on the rear axle.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #53

great build looks great
fnmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I installed maxx shafts front and rear. I drilled the outputs on the VF dig for the maxx shaft cross pin. The axles are a different story however. The pinions are hardened steel and I was unable to get through them. I used two set screws in the front yoke on the axle and they are holding up. I tried that in the rear and it did not hold. So I used a RC4WD 5mm to 6mm adapter. I was able to drill the adapter for the maxx yoke cross pin so the rear is set. If the front comes undone I will do the same.

More pictures as well:

It will stand on this side all day. (Motor and dig servo up)

Motor side and dig servo side down; it stays on it's side for a while but finally tips over.

Rear Maxx shaft with RC4WD adapter on the rear axle.
Why did'nt you do this mod instead?
Maxx Shafts made easy.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

oh yea, thats a lot cheaper too eddie
cspyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #56
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
Why did'nt you do this mod instead?
Maxx Shafts made easy.
Wow, I never saw that before. I don't spend much time in the Axial section though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspyy View Post
oh yea, thats a lot cheaper too eddie
I guess it would have been, but I am done with Axial's.

This rig now has TLT's anyway and I think it performs much better with the GC1 chassis .

The new build thread is here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122764

The only thing left still Axial and from the original AX-10 kit is the transmission. Tamiya based axles all the way baby.