Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: Steve-0's AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 AM   #1

Default Steve-0's AX10

Hey

After reading hundreds of pages on here about RC rock crawling and seeing the scale section i imediatly thought this hobby was awesome. I've wanted one for quite a long time, but after realising it was way way too expensive for me i decided not to bother.. but recently i was bored one day, had a look on here, and all of a sudden i had ordered an AX10 off ebay.

In the mountainbiking world, many would consider the ax10 an "STP" its one of those things that does what it was designed to do very well, but because it did, every kid and his dog had one-making them very undesirable.

I had no choice, and the ax10 is awesome.. I finally got it about a week ago and so far its really addicting!. I ran it stock for awhile, then today i decided to do some mods, and was finally bothered enough to take some pics.

Spec:
Axial AX-10 KIT!
HL microESC
towerpro HG995 servo (metal gears)
HL sprint controller
HL receiver

Mods: (thanks to all the guys here who actually posted "how to's" and pics"
No green on wheels!
Lead sinkers in all wheels / cut foam
Bent lower links
Lowered electronics
Front battery mount.

These mods now make it stand on its side, it now was way more vertical capabolity, Articulation is way smoother and all the wires are super tight and hidden.

I really really love the look of the scale tubers with the panels and all but 100$ just to buy the tools to braze is a fair bit, considering i might/wil suck at it. The edge chassis is nice, but is there anything out there more scale looking? And what else could be done to improve my crawler?

I'll keep all my future upgrades in this thread, All comments welcome! thanks for reading.

PICS! (battery isn't finished)

Steve-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks good! Your ride height looks spot on.

A couple suggestions I can offer are better tires. Losi Rock Claws, Panther Cougars or Proline Hammers would be a vast improvemnt over the stock Axials. Also upgrading to memory foams wouldn't be a bad choice (and they are getting cheaper all the time). One last suggestion would be to cut off the front bumper from the B-17 Betty body. I literally tore mine off because it would rub up against what ever vert rock I was trying to crawl over. After it fell off the body didn't catch nearly as much (look at your fourth pic and you will see how much the bumper hangs over the tires).
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

looks good! lower that body now.....
boost_aholic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Can you post a close up of your battery pack off the truck? Did you make taht yourself? I want to make a subC saddle pack for run time and yours looks clean.

Thanks.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I really like the way the silver & red look on your paintjob. Nice lines too.
RC Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

mount the body post up higher on the chassis so they don't get hung up as much.
ScorpioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:34 AM   #7

I've drill holes in the wheels which instantly gave it more traction, but with the lowered setup like in the pictures, it drives like a car with big wheels. Theres hardly any clearance for uphill stuff and it doesn't articulate much with its own body weight.

Would the loss of articulation make it climb worse over rocks and make it snag more on the bottom? I'll try puting the spacers in the shocks back to their original position and hopefully that will help.

Another Q, how do change the position of the lower shock mounts and lower link mounts on the axle? like how do you push the links out towards the wheels or closer to the pumpkin? I've seen it done on a few other rigs, is it just a longer bolt? or is it only screwed through 1 of the "flanges"?

thanks!
Steve-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

To move the links and shocks, you get a longer bolt and use spacers to fill in the gaps. Mount through both mounting tabs.

I would really like some pics of your batterys, off the truck if you can.

Thanks.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote